Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Wrap-Up

GoodberryVerified account @JoeGoodberry now9 minutes agoMore

Bengals DL picks over the last three years:Andrew Billings, Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson, Ryan Glasgow, Sam Hubbard & Andrew Brown

Bengals OL picks over the last 3 years:Christian Westerman, JJ Deilman, Billy Price, Rod Taylor

2018 Day 2 Draft News Conference Transcripts

Posted Apr 27, 2018
    2018 Day 2 Draft news conference transcripts 4/27/2018

Bengals Draft Fourth-Round News Conference Transcript

Posted Apr 28, 2018
    Bengals draft fourth-round news conference transcript 4/28/2018

Bengals Draft rd 5 News Conference Transcript

Posted Apr 28, 2018
    Cincinnati Bengals draft round-5 news conference transcript

Bengals Draft Rd 7 News Conference Transcripts

Posted 20 hours ago
    Cincinnati Bengals Draft seventh-round transcripts

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    That's a very positive grade considering he ranked Price as the 3rd best center. I was expecting more criticism of the Bates pick due to the other names still available, but the Bengals got the guy they wanted and it's hard to call it a reach after the Bengals traded back. Marvin said Jefferson wouldn't be there at #100 and I don't disagree. Coach him up and use him correctly and I think he can be very good. Resist the temptation to use him in open space. Use Lawson when you want to attack the pocket. Jefferson can't change directions well and backs knew it. But put him in a run and chase role and he can make every play.

As for Sam Hubbard, I honestly don't think you could do better at DE in the 3rd round. Rashaan Green maybe. Maybe not. But it's hard to knock Hubbard"s lack of elite qualities knowing the way this team invests in defensive lineman. And same for Andrew Brown.

I like this draft.
    I'll argue he's elite. Or at least borderline. He's 3 cone time for a guy his size comes around once every 2-3 years only. He's got legit hops (explosion) and those two together land him firmly in Waldo 1 Low Risk territory, which seems like it's actually been harder and harder to find with the passing years. I watched a breakdown of Hubbard by a pretty hicky saints fan on youtube last night, which was actually quite informative. The big thing was Hubbard's lightning quick play recognition and react time, something that I think his 3-cone only enhances. TBH, I see him as a guy who is still growing, and still has a lot of room to enhance his technique - especially when it comes to using lower body leverage (where he's weak) with this hands (where he's better than average).

In fact, I think Hubbard could do very well to sit back and learn a lot from...Carl Lawson.
    Last edited by alleycat; 04-29-2018 at 10:21 PM.

If you ever want to push the shiny red button that makes mongo want to smash, just gloss over poor performances by skill players as the byproduct of an atrocious offensive line... then throw the quarterback under the bus for disappointing.

I guess I am okay with the draft, I just would have liked one more lineman in the first four rounds. But if they were true to their board, I can't fuss about it too much. It puts a LOT of faith in Pollack to deal with RT with what is on hand though. I hope he is as good as I think he is as a coach. He will need to be. I am intrigued by the athletic potential of the LB, but have a hard time dreaming on it too much as we have not "coached up" that position well over the years - Burfict I think is a savant and an exception to that thought, I guess. The DT they got in the 5th, now that one is really interesting to me. I think he can really play, and that's a spot and position where you can get gems.

Still reading the transcripts posted above but a couple of things stand out.

Bates - Marvin clarified the talk about 3-safety looks. Said nobody needs three safeties on the field at the same time. What they're looking for is someone who can play dime LB. They also want a FS with better ball skills. Bates gives them the latter.

Bates, Jefferson, and Brown - Drafted for their versatility the Bengals clearly think the production of these players was impacted by how they were used in college. Bates played mostly over the slot his last season, Brown played way too much 5-tech at Virginia, and Jefferson gained experience but suffered from too many scheme changes at Texas. Bengals think they can unlock better production by shifting the players to more natural positions.

Special teams - They slipped badly on special teams last season. It's not going to happen again. A half dozen draft picks add a massive infusion of talent in every non-kicking special teams roles.

Reading the transcripts it feels like the draft went mostly as planned. Lewis seemed to admit they were interested in drafting Mason Rudolph in the 3rd round and it sounds like they had their eye on a different guy in the 4th round before settling for Walton. Hard to comment without knowing who they wanted but drafting Mason Rudolph would have shaken things up....including my favorite round in the draft.

Of note, Brian Billick claimed the Steelers had the best draft of any AFC North team. Said the Steelers trading ahead of the Bengals to grab Rudolph was the deciding factor. Said the Steelers got their QB of the future while denying the same to their rival was one of the biggest stories in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I guess I am okay with the draft, I just would have liked one more lineman in the first four rounds. But if they were true to their board, I can't fuss about it too much. It puts a LOT of faith in Pollack to deal with RT with what is on hand though. I hope he is as good as I think he is as a coach. He will need to be. I am intrigued by the athletic potential of the LB, but have a hard time dreaming on it too much as we have not "coached up" that position well over the years - Burfict I think is a savant and an exception to that thought, I guess. The DT they got in the 5th, now that one is really interesting to me. I think he can really play, and that's a spot and position where you can get gems.
    My hope with the line is Price is an immediate upgrade. If so, I think the pressure comes off the other four guys to bail out the center every snap. You can also scheme an imperfect RT, should he still need extra help... Getting destroyed on the left, middle, and right was just too much to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    My hope with the line is Price is an immediate upgrade. If so, I think the pressure comes off the other four guys to bail out the center every snap. You can also scheme an imperfect RT, should he still need extra help... Getting destroyed on the left, middle, and right was just too much to handle.
    Well, yeah, Price and Glenn are for sure miles and miles ahead of where they were at those positions last year, so that part I am definitely happy about. And RG I think they are fine, given how Westerman and Redmond looked late last year (and the final straw for Alexander I think as Lewis and others had to be frustrated that it took that long to get them in). But RT...I am not at all thrilled about Hart as a potential answer. Perhaps Boling could move out there and they backfill LG? Most likely, it comes down to Fisher being what they think he can be, health issues now solved. We shall see. That's where Pollack comes in. RT definitely needs to be "coached up".