Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OTA's start today.

Paul Dehner Jr.
    @pauldehnerjr

Two key #Bengals had tense moments today. A.J. Green looked to tweak his quad and checked out of practice midway through. Wasn't tended to by trainers though. William Jackson III came out from a play holding his hand and was looked at, but returned a series later.
    2:47 PM - May 29, 2018

For those of you on the Willis train looking for a step forward from a good rookie year (that's me on that train anyway) - he had a really interesting interview with Dehner that was played on the Bengals Beat Podcast. One part of it that should catch people's attention - he's up to 280 pounds now, after playing around 260 last year, and says based on the measurements in camp, he's lost no speed...

Count me intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    For those of you on the Willis train looking for a step forward from a good rookie year (that's me on that train anyway) - he had a really interesting interview with Dehner that was played on the Bengals Beat Podcast. One part of it that should catch people's attention - he's up to 280 pounds now, after playing around 260 last year, and says based on the measurements in camp, he's lost no speed...

Count me intrigued.
    That's interesting. I thought his frame looked kind of maxed out before. That means he's gained 25 POUNDS since the combine. My big question would have to do with the effect on his agility. His 6.85 3 cone was elite, and combined with his freaky jumping, he was a Waldo Low Risk 1 (agility) and 2 (explosion). I'd be even more freaked out if he kept his explosion (39 vert) with 25 more lbs...

And for the record, I'm still firmly seated on that train...

Kansas probably isn't the biggest-time program, so maybe a whole year in an NFL strength/agility program has really done something.

I honestly can't say I'm on the Willis train. I don't know enough about him and due to a lack of playing time I didn't get to see much last season. To be fair I can't say I was impressed by anything he flashed last season but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Count me amongst the intrigued. Weeks ago Hobson said Willis was all but being handed the starting RDE job and predicted he could be a breakout player. Got to admit I like his chances much better if he carries more weight.

Oh, and speaking of conditioning......have you guys seen the pictures of Carl Lawson?

I'm excited about Willis but he's not a flashy player... probably won't be more than an 8 sack a year guy, but I think that's possible for him, and I'll take that. He makes a lot of plays with effort. Love his motor. That said, he's an intriguing athlete... he ran really well at the combine, IIRC - under 4.6. I recall one play early last year when he flushed DeShawn Watson out of the pocket, ran laterally and chased him OOB for no gain. Really impressive.

At his lower weight I'd be concerned about his ability to hold up as a starter, but if he can keep his athleticism at 20+ pounds more, great.

And yep, Lawson looked rock-solid but if he plays any LB snaps and he's having to move backwards, I'm concerned about his stiffness in space. He's not a LB.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    I honestly can't say I'm on the Willis train. I don't know enough about him and due to a lack of playing time I didn't get to see much last season. To be fair I can't say I was impressed by anything he flashed last season but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Count me amongst the intrigued. Weeks ago Hobson said Willis was all but being handed the starting RDE job and predicted he could be a breakout player. Got to admit I like his chances much better if he carries more weight.

Oh, and speaking of conditioning......have you guys seen the pictures of Carl Lawson?
    You mean the hulk? Yeah. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    And yep, Lawson looked rock-solid but if he plays any LB snaps and he's having to move backwards, I'm concerned about his stiffness in space. He's not a LB.
    But how often does he drop into coverage? I don't remember many examples and most were after he lined up in a 2 point stance as an extra pass rusher lining up outside the DE. Most plays he rushes the passer. On a couple he dropped into coverage after the snap. Have to expect that from time to time if for no other reason than to force the offense to adjust. But on the overwhelming majority of snaps Lawson either lines up as a traditional RDE or rushes the passer from either edge just as a 3-4 OLB would. I think the latter role is unique enough in this defense for the Bengals to list him as a linebacker, but so far Lawson has been a LB in name only.

I doubt that changes much. The Bengals obviously want to find a way to give more snaps to Lawson and if they do he'll occasionally have to drop into coverage more often. But I think most of Lawson's increased workload will come at RDE working in tandem with the bigger Willis...and probably MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    But how often does he drop into coverage? I don't remember many examples and most were after he lined up in a 2 point stance as an extra pass rusher lining up outside the DE. Most plays he rushes the passer. On a couple he dropped into coverage after the snap. Have to expect that from time to time if for no other reason than to force the offense to adjust. But on the overwhelming majority of snaps Lawson either lines up as a traditional RDE or rushes the passer from either edge just as a 3-4 OLB would. I think the latter role is unique enough in this defense for the Bengals to list him as a linebacker, but so far Lawson has been a LB in name only.

I doubt that changes much. The Bengals obviously want to find a way to give more snaps to Lawson and if they do he'll occasionally have to drop into coverage more often. But I think most of Lawson's increased workload will come at RDE working in tandem with the bigger Willis...and probably MJ.
    I expect we will see a lot more moving forward than backward where Lawson is concerned, for sure. And I don’t think (barring injury) that MJ will play a lot of end; more on the interior especially in passing situations.

I just think pretty much any of Lawson moving backwards isn’t a good thing. But I hope I’m wrong.