Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OTA's start today.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    I expect we will see a lot more moving forward than backward where Lawson is concerned, for sure. And I don’t think (barring injury) that MJ will play a lot of end; more on the interior especially in passing situations.
    Let's start with the positives.

MJ is no longer starting.

I've been waiting a long time to write those words.

Years.

Anyways....one of the biggest reasons I've been so dissatisfied with MJ as a starter is the way his mediocrity is magnified by the high number of snaps played. Even last season MJ often played the most total snaps in a game by any defender...making his lack of production even more infuriating. But even more than that, Michael Johnson has never been good at setting the edge in the running game.

Enter Kevin Willis, I think.

Hobson says Willis is the new starting RDE. But what does the title of starter really mean? The position itself is now built around Carl Lawson rushing the passer from a 2-point stance on 3rd down. As the starter we know Willis will get the majority of his snaps on early run heavy downs. And there's the rub IMO because regardless of how Willis performs as a pass rusher he could quickly become more productive than MJ if he can just set the edge better. If he can set the edge he can be an upgrade without being flashy.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Let's start with the positives.

MJ is no longer starting.

I've been waiting a long time to write those words.

Years.

Anyways....one of the biggest reasons I've been so dissatisfied with MJ as a starter is the way his mediocrity is magnified by the high number of snaps played. Even last season MJ often played the most total snaps in a game by any defender...making his lack of production even more infuriating. But even more than that, Michael Johnson has never been good at setting the edge in the running game.

Enter Kevin Willis, I think.

Hobson says Willis is the new starting RDE. But what does the title of starter really mean? The position itself is now built around Carl Lawson rushing the passer from a 2-point stance on 3rd down. As the starter we know Willis will get the majority of his snaps on early run heavy downs. And there's the rub IMO because regardless of how Willis performs as a pass rusher he could quickly become more productive than MJ if he can just set the edge better. If he can set the edge he can be an upgrade without being flashy.

well I dunno about Kevin, but IMO Jordan Willis was actually the best edge defender they had last year, even as a rookie. Especially against option plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    well I dunno about Kevin, but IMO Jordan Willis was actually the best edge defender they had last year, even as a rookie....

Ha. I have no excuse for getting the name wrong. Way too early in the morning to be drunk.

lots of videos from practice this week:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/6...s-ota-practice

• Bengals Team Outing at Top Golf

Posted Jun 11, 2018
      As the grind of OTAs came to an end last week, Coach Lewis and his staff took the team to top golf. It was an opportunity for the Bengals to unwind, relax and participate in some fun competition as they gear up for mandatory minicamp.

• Kirkpatrick weighs in on OTA's

Posted Jun 8, 2018
      CB Dre Kirkpatrick talks with the media in the Bengals locker room during OTA's on June 5, 2018.

Time to change the thread title to OTAs End Today.