Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL to Fine Teams for Players Kneeling During Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawgBengal View Post
    The NFL had to do something because ratings were going down, tickets sales were down and advertisers were upset and the anthem protest is a big reason why. The NFL should have just copied the NBA policy. Everyone in the NBA is happy with it and it works but the nfl went with their dumb idea. TV cameras every week are going to be showing players running out of the locker room after the anthem and it’s not going to make things better and people will still be turned away because it will be a continued topic each week
    I think the ratings/ticket sales issues are using the protests as an excuse. I don't believe they had a significant effect, but it gives the owners something simple to point to instead of them looking deeper into the issues the NFL has right now.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    I think the ratings/ticket sales issues are using the protests as an excuse. I don't believe they had a significant effect, but it gives the owners something simple to point to instead of them looking deeper into the issues the NFL has right now.
    It’s not an excuse. There are certainly other reasons why the ratings have dropped but the anthem protest started two seasons ago and thats when the significant drop in ratings started. The NFL ratings were slightly going up from 2013 to 2015. Kap started his protest in 2016 and that was when the ratings started to drop. The ratings went 17.4 in 2013, 17.6 in 2014, 17.9 in 2015, 16.5 in 2016 and then 14.8 in 2017. The anthem protest is not the only reason but it is playing a big part.

It’s not an excuse. There are certainly other reasons why the ratings have dropped but the anthem protest started two seasons ago and thats when the significant drop in ratings started. The NFL ratings were slightly going up from 2013 to 2015. Kap started his protest in 2016 and that was when the ratings started to drop. The ratings went 17.4 in 2013, 17.6 in 2014, 17.9 in 2015, 16.5 in 2016 and then 14.8 in 2017. The anthem protest is not the only reason but it is playing a big part.
    All I see is correlation, not causation. Most sports ratings are down recently, as are overall TV ratings. Even when it comes to the protests, I'd argue the coverage of the protests is a bigger issue than the protest itself. People on both sides are tired of hearing about it, yet it all the stations want to talk about. If it was hurting their ratings so bad, wouldn't they want to stop talking about it so much?

The NFL had to do something because ratings were going down, tickets sales were down and advertisers were upset and the anthem protest is a big reason why. The NFL should have just copied the NBA policy. Everyone in the NBA is happy with it and it works but the nfl went with their dumb idea. TV cameras every week are going to be showing players running out of the locker room after the anthem and it’s not going to make things better and people will still be turned away because it will be a continued topic each week
    Funny you mention the NBA as one of their players was just roughed up by the cops...the very reason for the NFL protests in the first place. Sadly, NFL players could very easily win the narrative back again after the next news cycle. Violent policing isn't going away and the President can only wrap himself in the flag once or twice before it starts to look like a cheap trick.

Besides, maybe NFL ratings are down because their product sucks. Thursday football is almost unwatchable. How many consecutive Papa John commercials can you watch? Officiating seems biased. Have you hugged a Steeler today? The Bengals Steelers rivalry has become a farce. Half of NFL teams seems to be happy with treading water. CTE safety and legal related issues loom over the game like a dark cloud. Plus, every pregame show features great looking women talking to other great looking women about what it's like to play quarterback in the NFL. And now, even more gambling. What could go wrong?

5. Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    All I see is correlation, not causation. Most sports ratings are down recently, as are overall TV ratings. Even when it comes to the protests, I'd argue the coverage of the protests is a bigger issue than the protest itself. People on both sides are tired of hearing about it, yet it all the stations want to talk about. If it was hurting their ratings so bad, wouldn't they want to stop talking about it so much?
    I agree 100%, stop talking about it and stop showing it. I never understood why the networks felt like they had to give these guys their three minutes of fame.

Dan WetzelVerified account @DanWetzel 24h24 hours agoMore

The NFL didn't just lose the anthem issue to Donald Trump, it made itself an even easier target for future presidential beatdowns. On a disastrous crisis management strategy.

https://sports.yahoo.com/altering-an...023721814.html

Jim OwczarskiVerified account @JimOwczarski 21h21 hours agoMore

If @nflpa wanted to send a message to teams (and others) about this - the @ProFootballTalk idea of a year or two ago isn’t the worst one: no one shows up for OTA the next 2 weeks. A) It’s voluntary. No one can get fined. B) Players aren’t paid anyway, so they’re not giving up $

Because while all of this has transcended just “labor” - The heart of this is just that: a union that has been beaten down since 87 & doesn’t have a good working relationship with its counterpart. And this particular issue has definitely not unified the workforce.

There will be a work stoppage at end of the CBA. Question is if players take matters into their own hands before then.
    If they do, is the climate the same as 30 years ago where me playing quarterback for the #Packers pacifies networks who paid BILLIONS for Aaron Rodgers

I’d venture to say the networks, Verizon, streaming rights holders and yes, gamblers and fantasy football players, don’t want to or pay for replacement players.

Quote Originally Posted by Enon Bengal View Post
    I agree 100%, stop talking about it and stop showing it. I never understood why the networks felt like they had to give these guys their three minutes of fame.
    If you want people to stop talking about the protests find a muzzle that will fit the president.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

If @nflpa wanted to send a message to teams (and others) about this - the @ProFootballTalk idea of a year or two ago isn’t the worst one: no one shows up for OTA the next 2 weeks. A) It’s voluntary. No one can get fined. B) Players aren’t paid anyway, so they’re not giving up $

Overkill.

Players choosing to stay in the locker room during anthem ceremonies would be more than enough. Doesn't really matter if teams vote to act collectively or act as individuals, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if the locker room splits due to race.

I'm not a fan of players kneeling during the anthem. But I'm even less a fan of telling them they can't.