Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL to Fine Teams for Players Kneeling During Anthem

NFL to Fine Teams for Players Kneeling During Anthem

We can say a place like this is not for discussing politics, but what happens when the NFL decides to force the issue and make politics part of the game?

I agree with those who say this is a work place issue, and so free speech rights don't apply, and yet, somehow, not everyone works on an international stage in front of hundreds of millions.

The best take I've seen on this was in the comments section of the New York Times, where, one contributor notes that the NFL is the one who originally foisted political demonstration on their players by playing the National Anthem before sporting events to begin with (I've always found it somewhat fascist, even back in high school):

"The national anthem has no place at sporting events. Forcing the players not to protest during the playing of the anthem is a violation of free speech. The greatest form of patriotism is the ability to protest when you feel that your country has veered off course. By playing the anthem the owners have politicized sports and that means that they not the players opened the door for the players to use it as an opportunity for political protest. If politics are too be kept out of sports then stop playing the anthem at sporting events."

And of course, this:

"“Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.” - Samuel Johnson, 1775"

saw this earlier and didn't get a chance to post. I hate that the NFL is wading into politics.

As for the topic, I'm on the fence. A reasonable person understands that the players intention is not to disrespect the flag or troops, but at the same time I wish the players tackled the issue from a different angle than the anthem.

On the whole, I don't like that the NFL is impeding free speech.

I feel like they'd have been better off doing nothing, this simply renews attention on it which they don't want. I doubt the new rule sticks anyway after challenges from the players union, seems like this is something that would need to be negotiated in the CBA. I see this rule only making things worse, perhaps entire teams start skipping the anthem. Players may want the extra time in the locker room anyway, ignoring any protest issues.

What happens with pregame starter introductions? Do they come out then go back in to protest? Does the team only announce starters not protesting?

Overall, playing the anthem itself is political. All major sports are being paid to have these various military advertisements/tributes before games. It doesn't help that the broadcasts focus on who's protesting before every game, though I don't think the NFL can dictate what the broadcast partners show. The cleanest solution to me would have been moving up the anthem to before the broadcast starts, say 12:58 for a 1:00 game, and get right into the action when the cameras are on. You'd have to time it so it's not a focus of the pregame shows either.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    I see this rule only making things worse, perhaps entire teams start skipping the anthem. Players may want the extra time in the locker room anyway, ignoring any protest issues.
    Myself, I thought kneeling was a perfect way to protest because it was still a respectful act. Far more so than staying in the locker room to go over that play one more time or finish getting your ankle taped.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Myself, I thought kneeling was a perfect way to protest because it was still a respectful act. Far more so than staying in the locker room to go over that play one more time or finish getting your ankle taped.
    It's funny, because at the start Kaep was told by a vet that kneeling would be a respectful way of protesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    It's funny, because at the start Kaep was told by a vet that kneeling would be a respectful way of protesting.
    It certainly is....or was. The rule change simply forces players to find a different way to protest after others had successfully rebranded the protest. But that was happening already. During his visit Eric Reid said he would no longer kneel but he wouldn't promise to do nothing at all. As it turns out doing nothing at all may be the perfect next step in the protest. Give the NFL exactly what they're demanding and let 'em choke on it. Stay in the locker room.

Would be funnier still if the anthem protest now spilled over into the crowd, with fans choosing to stand or kneel as they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    It certainly is....or was. The rule change simply forces players to find a different way to protest after others had successfully rebranded the protest. But that was happening already. During his visit Eric Reid said he would no longer kneel but he wouldn't promise to do nothing at all. As it turns out doing nothing at all may be the perfect next step in the protest. Give the NFL exactly what they're demanding and let 'em choke on it. Stay in the locker room.

Would be funnier still if the anthem protest now spilled over into the crowd, with fans choosing to stand or kneel as they see fit.

Which will probably lead to fights in the stands.

Give America the fight it very clearly wants. Let stadiums and Starbucks be the new beach heads.

Burn the snack bar.

The NFL had to do something because ratings were going down, tickets sales were down and advertisers were upset and the anthem protest is a big reason why. The NFL should have just copied the NBA policy. Everyone in the NBA is happy with it and it works but the nfl went with their dumb idea. TV cameras every week are going to be showing players running out of the locker room after the anthem and it’s not going to make things better and people will still be turned away because it will be a continued topic each week
    Last edited by BigDawgBengal; 05-24-2018 at 03:52 PM.