Thread: What if Ogbuehi blossoms under Pollack?

What if Ogbuehi blossoms under Pollack?

Cedric Ogbuehi making big strides with Frank Pollack’s help

It sounds like the Bengals’ former first round pick is getting the coaching he needs.

By Rebecca Toback@Rebecca_Toback Jun 7, 2018, 9:00am EDT

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

What if we told you that Cedric Ogbuehi has been doing great work in Bengals OTAs?

What if we added that one source who has been around the team since Ogbuehi was drafted believes that the former first round pick is finally looking
    like he could become the player the Bengals thought he would be when the team selected him with the No. 21 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft?

For Ogbuehi’s first three years in the NFL, there was a lot of hoping and wishing that the former Texas A&M offensive lineman would turn into a
    capable NFL starter. The Bengals tried him at right tackle in 2016 and then left tackle in 2017 and the results were lackluster in both situations. And
    that’s putting it nicely.

Ogbuehi received a 44.1 grade from Pro Football Focus in 2016 and a 41.0 grade in 2017, which ranked him as the 70th best tackle in the NFL. Guys like Marshall Newhouse and Ereck Flowersranked above Ogbuehi in PFF’s ranking of tackles. That’s how bad the Bengals’ 2015 first round pick has been.

But according to a source, Ogbuehi has been starting to look like a developed player, “all because of offensive line coach Frank Pollack.”

Ogbuehi has been practicing at both left and right tackle and while he’s not slated to be a starter at any spot on the Bengals’ offensive line right now,
    he could work himself into that discussion if he continues playing like he has been in pad-less practices.

RELATED

PFF believes Bengals CB William Jackson is a better NFL player than A.J. Green

Film Room: Auden Tate’s jump ball ability gives him chance at final roster

“I’ve never seen him doing some of the things he’s doing. He looks powerful and under control,” the source said.

Ogbuehi is now in a contract year after the Bengals failed to pick up his fift
    h year option, so while it’s easy to assume he’s now being motivated by money, it also could be the new Bengals’ new offensive line coach at work.

“He’s getting coached.”

It’s just June and the Bengals have yet to put on pads, but this is an encouraging sign that Pollack is not only making a difference but that Ogbuehi
    has a chance to still be a serviceable NFL player. At this point, I’m no longer hoping for Ogbuehi to be a starter. Just being an above-average backup would be enough for his final season under contract in Cincinnati.

Former Bills lineman Cordy Glenn is set to take over at left tackle and Jake Fisher, Bobby Hartand Ogbuehi are competing to take on the starting right

tackle role. With Pollack in the fold, it’s anyone’s job to win.

It sounds like Pollack is hitting the right buttons with Ogbuehi and giving him the coaching boost he’s needed since he arrived with a torn ACL in
    Cincinnati. We’ll have to see what happens when the pads come on, but so far so good for Ogbuehi this offseason.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/7/17434272/cedric-ogbuehi-making-big-strides-with-frank-pollacks-help-bengals-offensive-line

Um, even the remote possibility of Pollack making a difference in Ogbuehi enough to salvage him makes me giddy. Screw Paul Alexander.

Motivated by money or finally getting quality coaching after crappy Alexander was sent packing a decade too late?

It's way too soon to argue that not picking up the 5th year option was a mistake, but refusing to do so likely means this story doesn't have a happy ending regardless of how Ogbuehi actually plays.

I don't even care. If he actually plays, starts at RT or RG, and makes a positive impact and they can't afford to re-sign him, c'est last vie. I never would have picked up his option, myself. Regardless, if he is finally getting it, thanks to actual coaching, that would be a huge help, even if it's just to back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't even care. If he actually plays, starts at RT or RG, and makes a positive impact and they can't afford to re-sign him, c'est last vie. I never would have picked up his option, myself. Regardless, if he is finally getting it, thanks to actual coaching, that would be a huge help, even if it's just to back-up.
    I get it. Looking at the big picture if Ogbuehi can contribute anything positive it says plenty about Pollack and the better results the Bengals should get across the entire line in the years to come.

Smaller picture....because they didn't pick up the 5th year option I think it's probably a case of too little too late. Bengals are probably committed to drafting a new ORT next year regardless of how Ogbuehi, Fisher, or Hart plays.

I don't see how you can say anything of significance about an OL before the pads come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I don't see how you can say anything of significance about an OL before the pads come on.
    Significance?

Hard to know how much weight to give something said by an unidentified source. That said, the fact that any observer is willing to criticize the level of coaching Ogbuehi has gotten prior to this offseason is noteworthy. No surprise the remarks are made in a positive way that praises the job Pollack is doing but I think it's pretty easy to look at the remarks as a backhanded swipe at Alexander's coaching methods. Much deserved IMO.

Again, because they turned down the 5th year option I suspect it's too little too late when it comes to Ogbuehi himself, but I do think any sign of improvement bodes well for the rebuilding of the entire offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Significance?

Hard to know how much weight to give something said by an unidentified source. That said, the fact that any observer is willing to criticize the level of coaching Ogbuehi has gotten prior to this offseason is noteworthy. No surprise the remarks are made in a positive way that praises the job Pollack is doing but I think it's pretty easy to look at the remarks as a backhanded swipe at Alexander's coaching methods. Much deserved IMO.

Again, because they turned down the 5th year option I suspect it's too little too late when it comes to Ogbuehi himself, but I do think any sign of improvement bodes well for the rebuilding of the entire offensive line.
    Agree that it was a bit of a swipe at Alexander, but not overtly. Hope Ced does get it, and ends up starting or playing a value-added role. He’s got the athletic ability, and if he can anchor better and not have the lapses in focus he seemed to have each game, who knows?

It’s not like Ced would be commanding a big-a$$ contract after the season. Maybe he’d want a fresh start elsewhere, but I think he’s already getting some of that with a new coach who’s giving all of the OL a clean slate. So, who knows, maybe if he produces this season, they’ll work something out.

As others have said, let’s put the pads on and see what happens. I will say that I’m a bit surprised that Ced seems to be a beneficiary of Pollack’s approach. I don’t consider him an aggressive, fire-out kinda guy; more of a finesse player, but this new approach could benefit him.

Ced gets another say

Ced gets another say

Posted Jun 14, 2018
    Geoff HobsonEditorBengals.com

2015 first-round pick Cedric Ogbuehi's career has received a boost with a new scheme.

Cedric Ogbuehi, who was supposed to replace Andrew Whitworth and instead got replaced by Cordy Glenn, is undergoing sort of a revival under first-year offensive line coach Frank Pollack. It is time to add him to the derby vying to start at right tackle opposite Glenn.

As the Bengals left for their six-week break Thursday when head coach Marvin Lewis broke the mandatory minicamp, Ogbuehi professed he loves
    the new scheme and Pollack left impressed with how he’s moved between both tackles. With Pollack emphasizing punching and other techniques
    tailored for the 6-5, 305-pound former first-round pick, they’ve put Ogbuehi’s career back on track.

“I like it a lot. I use my hands more,” said Ogbuehi, who agrees with the observation Pollack has been a boost for his career. “For sure. I think he’s
    done a great job for all of us. He’s helped a lot. I’m excited. It’s just using your sets and getting on (the defenders) quicker. The big difference is you
    get on them quicker.”

As the players walked off the Paul Brown Stadium field Thursday, Pollack walked off with him and congratulated him on a good offseason and urged
    him to keep it going during the break.

“He’s gifted athletically. He’s got great length and he took to the teaching of the technique,” Pollack said. “He was working hard and he’s really
    talented with his athletic ability and we have to play to that. He’s got to get on guys quicker and play longer and have more confidence in himself and
    what we’re teaching him. He gradually got that. He’s got a good platform to build on for training camp. He looks very comfortable (at both left and
    right). If you’re not a solidified starter, you have to play the multiple spots no matter how uncomfortable it is.”

Pollack has certainly converted Ogbuehi to the idea of playing right tackle. As he walked to his car the day after that 2016 season he was benched
    after 11 starts at right tackle, he hoped he was done with the position.

“It’s a tough experience, but those are things we go through. I went through it and now I’m going to go from there,” Ogbuehi said back on Jan. 2,
    2017. “Just not playing right tackle is going to be big for me. It’s not my position.”

But on Thursday Ogbuehi said, “What’s ever best for the team. I was open. I was never saying I was this or that. I was open. Really, where ever the
    team needs me.”

On Jan. 2, 2017, Pollack’s Cowboys were coming off a 13-3 record and headed into a post-season bye to prepare for the winner of the Packers-
    Giants game. So the only Ogbuehi he knows is the one from the spring of 2018.

“I didn’t coach him last year. I didn’t coach him two years ago. I’m not exposed to him,” Pollack said. “That’s great everyone’s got their opinion. I’m the
    line coach. I’m going to formulate my opinion. It’s a whole new deal.”

Right tackle looks to be shaping up to be a battle among Ogbuehi, his 2015 draft classmate Jake Fisher and former Giant Bobby Hart. Fisher had just
    started to ease his way back into the lineup after dealing with a shoulder injury, so Ogbuehi took advantage of the snaps. It’s the classic case of a
    player not having to leave to get a fresh start.

“I think he sees the opportunity for him to continue his career and build on it,” Pollack said. “I think he sees himself having success on the stuff we’re
    teaching him. Players will gravitate if they’re having success on what you’re teaching. Sometimes it’s not easy. Sometimes it might take guys a little
    more time to develop. When you see guys having success, they buy in. If they’re enjoying themselves, they buy into what we’re teaching them. From
    scheme all the way down to technique. Accept your role. Own your role.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-7f6b27afd0cd