Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Dunlap extension?

Feels like speculation, making progress doesn't mean close. I've read they want to get Geno done first.

Dehner:

Walk out to practice and Carlos Dunlap and his agent Drew Rosenhaus are chatting up Mike Brown near the South end zone. Interesting.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheetFollowingFollowing
    @RapSheet

More

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Paul Dehner Jr.
    They have been in negotiations for another extension for Dunlap...

Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer

Carlos Dunlap on a contract extension: "I would love to get it done. I would love to finish my career here as a Bengal. We've done some great things. Right now I'm the (Bengals) career leader (in official sacks) as a defensive end. I would like to extend that gap between me and the next. We just want to focus on that and worry about the rest later. Right now we're in camp and back to football so I'm just enjoying that moment and letting my agent handle that with the owners."

Wonder why we aren't hearing more about Geno's? If they are waiting for Donald to set the market, it could be a huge mistake and also may take a very long time. Have a bad feeling this one may be heading towards franchise tag, but that's just me being scared-****less to lose him.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    Wonder why we aren't hearing more about Geno's? If they are waiting for Donald to set the market, it could be a huge mistake and also may take a very long time. Have a bad feeling this one may be heading towards franchise tag, but that's just me being scared-****less to lose him.
    Geno never talks so I'm sure it'll stay that way. IIRC the last deal he received, there wasn't any talk leading up to that, either.

Agree that Donald will get a huge deal, but he should - he's the best defensive player in the league, and he's three years younger than Geno. Geno is still a dominant player but you wonder at that position and at his age, how much more he's got... and for how long. It might be a franchise type of thing, so it's a gamble if so... but you'd be getting at least 2, and maybe 3 more years from him (including this year).

Bengals aren't waiting on anybody. In fact, I'm guessing other teams are waiting for the small market Bengals to get a deal with at least one of their core defensive lineman. Geno or Carlos, doesn't matter IMO.

Make me the boss and I'm getting a deal with Carlos first. His deal should be smaller overall than the rest of the elite defenders looking for new deals. Find the floor. But don't wait for others to determine the market because teams like the Raiders and Rams aren't even talking to Mack and Donald.

Getting Dunlap done now would be huge. He'd be a tough guy to keep in FA next offseason.

The DT franchise tag is much more affordable ($11.4M for 2018) and I think they'd be just fine paying Geno $11.5 or $12M in 2019 if an extension doesn't get done. In fact, that might be the best outcome in some ways. Geno will be 31 in 2019 and 32 in 2020. They can keep him at reasonable rates for the next two years and then figure out what to do in 2020. With that as an option, why take the risk of giving him big money for his age 32, 33, 34 seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Getting Dunlap done now would be huge. He'd be a tough guy to keep in FA next offseason.

The two franchised tagged DEs set the price, I think. 17m. Carlos easily belongs in this group...and might be the best. Slightly less explosive but more consistent overall and more likely to block or influence a pass. Has rare length and should be productive for as long as he can play. Both parties should be comfortable with 4 years. Best, he's earned it. Does everything you want and nothing you don't. Bengals have to get it done because draft picks don't turn out better than this. Needs to retire as a Bengal.