Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bengals Cutting Lafell

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    I think MJ stays, but I suspect Lafell was a wait and see - and when the young WRs started showing out, the die was cast.

Not sure it will happen but reportedly the CBs after the top 3 - namely, Russell and Shaw, when he plays corner - haven’t looked good this camp, and the rookies Phillips and Harris have either struggled a bit (Phillips), or have been nursing injuries (Harris) and now, Shelton and McRae are hurt... so who knows, maybe Jones will be back.
    I suspect you're right about MJ. Sounds like Willis is struggling a bit and MJ is the best insurance should it continue into the regular season.

Read where AJ Green was complaining about Lefell being cut. He may be a superstar but it has to sting when they cut your best friend. But speaking as a fan there's no downside to this one. Lafell produced the same numbers as the players he replaced but lacked the dynamism. I was always surprised when he made a play. I think multiple players will share his snaps but the player most directly responsible for pushing him off the roster is Josh Malone. Him having a good camp takes pressure off of Boyd and Ross.

I was hoping Phillips would win the KR role but so far he's got a drop, a fumble, and a coach who describes him as tentative. Not good. I wish they'd give Wilson a longer look.

No, to Adam Jones. I like Russell too much and the rookies won't develop if they don't play.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    I suspect you're right about MJ. Sounds like Willis is struggling a bit and MJ is the best insurance should it continue into the regular season.

Read where AJ Green was complaining about Lefell being cut. He may be a superstar but it has to sting when they cut your best friend. But speaking as a fan there's no downside to this one. Lafell produced the same numbers as the players he replaced but lacked the dynamism. I was always surprised when he made a play. I think multiple players will share his snaps but the player most directly responsible for pushing him off the roster is Josh Malone. Him having a good camp takes pressure off of Boyd and Ross.

I was hoping Phillips would win the KR role but so far he's got a drop, a fumble, and a coach who describes him as tentative. Not good. I wish they'd give Wilson a longer look.

No, to Adam Jones. I like Russell too much and the rookies won't develop if they don't play.
    Agree on Jones... I don’t want hiim back, just spitballing. It’s interesting that Phillips is struggling... I recall either earlier in camp or in OTAs when he had a few INTs and folks were singing his praises. It’s early in the process and hopefully some of these guys get some mojo and start showing out. Saw where Sojurn Shelton is out a few months so he might be an IR candidate.

And good thought on Brandon Wilson... he returned some kicks at Houston with some success and STs has got to be his ticket to a roster spot for now, although he had a nice INT in 11x11s this week. Late last year, he was one of the better cover guys they had, IMO.