Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Depth Chart Released

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Bengals know what they're getting with Ogbuehi and Fisher. I'd be inclined to roll the dice with Hart and hope he rediscovers the form that made him an extremely average ORT two seasons ago. Even that would be an upgrade over what Fisher has done three years in a row. Hart washed out badly in New York but who knows what happens if he doesn't get injured. Lots of finger pointing from both camps. Troubling, but I have no problem believing that coaching staff was partially to blame. In fact, it's easier for me to give Hart a clean slate than Fisher or Ogbuehi.

I'm a little disappointed Hopkins is holding off Redmond at ORG, but it sounds like Redmond has been getting beat like a drum. Not having the camp I hoped he'd have. Westerman belongs in the mix here and may be ahead of Redmond, but no surprise he's listed at backup OLG on the depth chart.
    Same here. I thought Hopkins got better last year as the season progressed, but I was hoping that either Redmond or Westerman would take hold, and grab a starting spot. It’s still early, so that may change.

Redmond appears to me to be a “gamer” who is best observed in actual games. I like his temperament a lot - same for Westerman - and with the dropped weight, I thought that’d help Redmond’s agility. Both are guys I’ll be paying attention to vs. Chicago. Both bring a physical presence to the interior OL that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    I hope you’re right re Russell. He’s talented and has looked solid when he’s played, but reportedly he hasn’t had a good TC... nor have Shaw and the CB rookies... so for now, it’s a “queen of the pigs” deal at CB4. Some things I’ve read suggest that McRae and Shelton looked the best, once you get past the top 3. Unfortunately, both are hurt.

It’ll be interesting to see who shows out over the next month. IMO Shaw has done nothing but get worse, and based on last year and given the Bengals’ investment in younger CBs and safeties, the handwriting was already on the wall for him. And since there haven’t been positive reviews this camp, I’d be quite surprised if he makes the 53.
    I hear it has been unsettling enough at CB4 that murmurings about Adam Jones are popping back up...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I hear it has been unsettling enough at CB4 that murmurings about Adam Jones are popping back up...
    Can he play center?

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Can he play center?
    Probably. He can snap, but maybe not block. Still only halfway to solving it.

Listened to the Bengals Beat podcast last night. Some interesting takeaways:

1. While a lot of the individual OL guys aren't looking good, at least the sum of the parts looks better. I'm hoping that scheme/coaching upgrades can get us through the season without it turning into a **** show and they continue to make major investments next offseason to really get the problem fixed.

2. We need some injury luck to break our way. They are not at all impressed with the depth at CB, QB, or OL. A big part of success this year will be guys like Dalton, William Jackson, Dennard, and Cordy Glenn playing all 16 games. As membengal noted, the lack of CB depth could bring Pacman into play at some point. Especially if one of the top 3 CBs go down any time soon.

3. D Line sounds like a major bright spot. Of the 6 defensive guys taken in the first 5 rounds, Hubbard seems like the only one who is meeting expectations (and in his case exceeding them). If all these young guys stay healthy and keep playing well, MJ could end up being cut like LaFell was.

If the Bengals can get extensions done with Dunlap/Atkins (seems to be a sense they will), the D Line should be setup to be very good the next few years. They talked about Lawson maybe getting 15 sacks. Billings finally showing promise. Hubbard a really good rotational guy and maybe starter paired with Lawson. Willis, Glasgow, and maybe Brown also look like solid, cheap depth.

Here's a blurb from Jim on reddit:

jowczarski

1 point
    ·
    4 minutes ago
    A few things here:

Marvin doesn't believe in listing the nickel D on his depth chart, even though it's used 75 percent of the time. Which is why Carl Lawson is listed as the third defensive end. He is that, in base. It's also why there is no Dennard.

Ogbuehi has had the more consistent training camp than Hart at right tackle. Neither has "won" the job yet, but I could see this as a head game situation to help boost Hart while also not giving Ogbuehi anything. After all, giving him the RT and LT spots the last two years didn't really work out. Jake Fisher isn't really in this competition anymore, to be honest with y'all. This is a Hart v. Ogbuehi battle at right tackle.

The guards: Hopkins, technically, is the holdover starting right guard from 2017. Marvin defers to those players on depth charts (see Johnson, Michael). Westerman and/or Redmond have to beat him out. I'm not sure any one of the three has really taken that job just yet. I believe all three are in the mix.

I don't believe Michael Johnson is getting cut. They can keep nine d-linemen with him, and Andrew Brown isn't beating him out.

NotMyJ0b
    Lafell was asking for a release

jowczarski

I'm not sure that's 100 percent accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    Here's a blurb from Jim on reddit:

jowczarski
    ������
    1 point
    ·
    4 minutes ago
    A few things here:

Marvin doesn't believe in listing the nickel D on his depth chart, even though it's used 75 percent of the time. Which is why Carl Lawson is listed as the third defensive end. He is that, in base. It's also why there is no Dennard.

Ogbuehi has had the more consistent training camp than Hart at right tackle. Neither has "won" the job yet, but I could see this as a head game situation to help boost Hart while also not giving Ogbuehi anything. After all, giving him the RT and LT spots the last two years didn't really work out. Jake Fisher isn't really in this competition anymore, to be honest with y'all. This is a Hart v. Ogbuehi battle at right tackle.

The guards: Hopkins, technically, is the holdover starting right guard from 2017. Marvin defers to those players on depth charts (see Johnson, Michael). Westerman and/or Redmond have to beat him out. I'm not sure any one of the three has really taken that job just yet. I believe all three are in the mix.

I don't believe Michael Johnson is getting cut. They can keep nine d-linemen with him, and Andrew Brown isn't beating him out.

NotMyJ0b
    Lafell was asking for a release

jowczarski

I'm not sure that's 100 percent accurate.
    Thanks for sharing; interesting insight on the OL. One of the guys on the Bengals Beat podcast mentioned that Westerman’s illness, where he lost 10+ pounds, set him back a bit. I’d forgotten about that. Not surprised to hear that it’s still a competition there.

And at RT, I expected Fisher to be the starter but they were saying he’s stunk it up in camp. I actually thought that Pollack’s scheme was a better fit for him than for Ced, but these comments surely don’t reflect that. For both positions, I’m sure that the PS games will tell the tale.

Re: Lafell, who knows where the truth lies. I suspect he was an insurance policy to keep around, while assessing where the young kids were. When they showed out, his “services were no longer required.” The subsequent press release could have embellished the “he asked for his release” bit. I’m sure it wasn’t the first time it’s been used for this sort of scenario. And, they also did wish Lafell and his family the best in their future endeavors, in a manner of speaking... so he’s got that, which is nice.

whodey - is there more to that Reddit Q & A? Link?

I’m currently on my phone but I usually just track Jim’s username on reddit. It’s just his first and last name. Not sure if a google of that and reddit would bring it up but you can try. He usually has some pretty good insight he shares on there and another bengals board. I forget the name of it at the moment.