Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Roster Preview

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    My hesitation on Brown is that he's barely played due to injury, not sure they would want to count on him in the rotation sight mostly unseen. He needs to see the field asap I would guess.

But do you risk losing him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    But do you risk losing him?
    No, but I also wouldn't be cutting Baker to count on him either, Hair was positing that Baker might be on the bubble. I would not do that myself, since we don't know what Brown is.

Quote Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
    I'm holding out hope that there's a name or two on the final O-line list that aren't on the team right now.

If this team is actually serious about winning now, they have to do their best to get some more bodies in here for a look. I'd have to imagine that at least a small handful of serviceable vets are going to be released fairly soon.
    I heard Bryan Broaddus on Dallas radio this morning... he used to be a scout/personnel guy in the NFL. He said he was talking to some of his buds that are still in the league and they told him that pretty much everyone is looking for OL help. Cowboys are set up front with the starters but as we saw, their depth sucks.

The NFL personnel guys he spoke to mentioned NO as a team that seems to have some depth guys (vets) that might be available. But the cupboard is pretty bare, sounds like.

I think Baker might stick around for a bit but could see him getting cut after Tez comes back. Agree with HOF that Tupou would seem to be a guy they’d like to keep around. He’s stout at the POA, and if his injury isn’t too serious, they might keep him around.

Brown - really, he has no NFL tape to show so I’m not sure he’s a risk to get claimed by another team, if he’s in the practice squad here. Besides, I see him more as a backup 3-tech. I think Glasgow is a useful piece, but I don’t see him playing in Billings’ spot as much. He’s had a few bad snaps in PS games but overall, he’s looked good to me. One other guy that’s looked pretty good -Okoye. I’d say there’s a chance he sneaks in to the back of the roster at DT, or if not, on the practice squad.
    Last edited by texbengal; 08-21-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Brown - really, he has no NFL tape to show so I’m not sure he’s a risk to get claimed by another team, if he’s in the practice squad here. Besides, I see him more as a backup 3-tech.

I agree, he's a 3tech. Tupou is the better fit if you're looking for a backup NT. I prefer Brown because I think he's a better prospect overall. I doubt either player is ready to give you much this year, but next? Boy Howdy. And there's the rub because Baker doesn't have much of a future here. Brown, if he can hang around for a season, could develop into something special.

I'm probably overstating the risk of Brown being poached off of the PS but I think he's the type of raw player lots of teams were considering drafting late.

Of course there may be other reasons why Baker isn't getting many snaps. He's old. They may be protecting him during the preseason. Or maybe they wanted to take a longer look at recent addition Eddie Wilson. Or maybe there simply aren't that many snaps availablefor the backup NT after the DEs take their share.