Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Bears at Bengals Game Thread: Preseason Week 1

Saw the game on tape. A few thoughts...

Offense looked fast, esp. at skill positions. Andy looked crisp with the execution. At C, Price is athletic... huge upgrade over Jethro there. At backup RB, Carson, Jarveon Williams and Walton had some good moments. At WR, Tate is impressive with his hands and body control, and I like Whitfield, too. Very dangerous with his hands on the ball.. they should give him a shot at KR. CJ Uzomah played well but IMO Kroft did not. Backup OL needs a lot of work but I thought Westerman looked solid. Thought Bobby Hart looked good at RT but the T backups (Ced, Fisher) didn’t. At QB, Barkley was meh, but I thought Driskel was good. He looked sharper with his throws and he’s a much better athlete who can move around and make plays. To me, he should be QB2.

Defense - starters played well. Carlos, Lawson and Geno were in regular season form. Hubbard had his moments, but he whiffed on a few TFL chances as well. I thought Quez looked faster; I think he’s gonna have a productive year. At backups I thought Evans was active, and both Russell and Shaw at DB looked good. And S Wilson can run! Jefferson looked good in coverage but he lost leverage on that long run. The rookie CBs, Harris and Phillips, didn’t distinguish themselves. I did think S Bates looked fast and physical. Brandon Bell had a nice INT and both Joseph and Nickerson made some plays, but neither looks good in coverage. TEs really made hay against the backups.

STs - not much stood out, but a bunch of guys tried PR -Boyd, Ross, Phillips -and Erickson and Phillips at KR. Phillips had one decent KR.

Overall, a number of positives with the top,group, and some good backup performances. But the 2H shows the backups have a ways to go.

One other thing about the game... on the winning TD, Tate beat John Franklin. He’s had a checkered career.. was a big recruit at Florida State as a QB, barely played and then washed out and ended up at East Misssissippi CC and was one of the featured guys on “Last Chance U”, the Netflix documentary. He ended up at Auburn and was a backup QB there... played a little (one start) but didn’t do much. Ended up leaving Auburn for Florida Atlantic to play for Lane Kiffin. Then leaves for the NFL draft... wasn’t drafted, but the Bears picked him up as a UDFA. Ends up playing WR, but then in Bears’ camp moves to DB.

Funny that Franklin was at FSU, along with Tate and Whitfield. And Bobby Hart was at FSU as well. All of a sudden, the Bengals have 3 Seminoles on the roster, and likely all 3 will make the roster, or the PS.

GoodberryVerified account @JoeGoodberry 1h1 hour agoMore

Goodberry Retweeted Dan Orlovsky
    Dalton threw a TD to Boyd on this play last week. Dan takes you through what the QB is looking for pre-snap and post-snap.

timestamp vid

Dan OrlovskyVerified account @danorlovsky7FollowFollow
    @danorlovsky7

More

I want this kid to be electrifying and great just as much as anyone else. It’s not time, YET, and here’s why: #NFL #TrainingCamp #NFLPreseason @dawgpounddaily @KeithBritton86 #Browns

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Saw the game on tape. A few thoughts...

Offense looked fast, esp. at skill positions. Andy looked crisp with the execution. At C, Price is athletic... huge upgrade over Jethro there. At backup RB, Carson, Jarveon Williams and Walton had some good moments. At WR, Tate is impressive with his hands and body control, and I like Whitfield, too. Very dangerous with his hands on the ball.. they should give him a shot at KR. CJ Uzomah played well but IMO Kroft did not. Backup OL needs a lot of work but I thought Westerman looked solid. Thought Bobby Hart looked good at RT but the T backups (Ced, Fisher) didn’t. At QB, Barkley was meh, but I thought Driskel was good. He looked sharper with his throws and he’s a much better athlete who can move around and make plays. To me, he should be QB2.

Defense - starters played well. Carlos, Lawson and Geno were in regular season form. Hubbard had his moments, but he whiffed on a few TFL chances as well. I thought Quez looked faster; I think he’s gonna have a productive year. At backups I thought Evans was active, and both Russell and Shaw at DB looked good. And S Wilson can run! Jefferson looked good in coverage but he lost leverage on that long run. The rookie CBs, Harris and Phillips, didn’t distinguish themselves. I did think S Bates looked fast and physical. Brandon Bell had a nice INT and both Joseph and Nickerson made some plays, but neither looks good in coverage. TEs really made hay against the backups.

STs - not much stood out, but a bunch of guys tried PR -Boyd, Ross, Phillips -and Erickson and Phillips at KR. Phillips had one decent KR.

Overall, a number of positives with the top,group, and some good backup performances. But the 2H shows the backups have a ways to go.
    I sure hope so. When he came in as a rookie, and blew right past Dre on the depth chart, I thought we’d hit a home run with him. It would be great to see him realize more potential than he has.

Bengals snap count distribution vs Bears: Young players get the spotlight

The preseason is all about younger players getting playing time they normally wouldn’t. Which players saw the most use?

By PatrickJudis@PatrickJudis Aug 13, 2018, 10:30am EDT

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY SportsThe preseason is interesting, as you get to see all these players you’d normally never get to see. It is also our first chance to see what these players look like on the field after an offseason full of speculation.

We don’t get to see much of the starters, but it is still nice to just see the major contributors flash their talents.

Here is what we saw.

• A much sharper Bengals offense started the game. Last year, the Bengals struggled out of the gate, but we quickly saw that wouldn’t be the case again. Andy Dalton (17) went six of eight throwing the ball. Not to mention the pocket he was standing behind looked more secure. The first-team offense looked great outside of John Ross falling on a route that led to an interception for a touchdown.
    • Christian Westerman (44) gets the nod as the player with the most offensive snaps. His name often gets forgotten about during the talks about competition along the offensive line, but clearly there is a confidence there from the team. The player with the second most was wide receiver Josh Malone (37), which is fairly surprising considering the amount of receivers on the team, He likely saw more time as A.J. Green got to bow out after only nine snaps. This probably put Malone in at the end of the first team as well as the top of the second unit. He finished second on the team in receiving with 41 yards.
    • Rookie cornerback Davontae Harris (56) received the most snaps on defense. It was a good learning experience for Harris to just be out on the field that much. That is pretty much the amount he would play if he was starting, and he probably won’t see snaps like these once the season begins. That being said, he didn’t really stand out, but at least he didn’t get beat repeatedly.
    • The Bengals need some more defensive ends to get through preseason. Jordan Willis and Sam Hubbard both played 55 snaps on Thursday night. These are two guys that will likely be major parts of the Bengals rotation once the season begins. They are too important to be playing 55 snaps in a game that doesn’t matter. Hubbard had a fairly solid night. He even got to realize the speed of the NFL when a Bears receiver blew by him on an end-around of a touchdown. You could see Hubbard stumble almost from shock during the play. It should be noted it would’ve been a heck of a play for Hubbard to make, so no one is belittling him for it.
    • There are a few players who should be concerned about their low snap totals. The easiest ones to point to are the receivers. Guys like Ka’Raun White (5), Kermit Whitfield (11) and even Cody Core (13) each drew a pretty short end of the stick. It is clear there aren’t too many wide receiver spots up for grab, and they all just watched a guy like Auden Tate (17) catch a touchdown in a huge game situation.
    • Another name who should start to get worried is the running back Quinton Flowers. Flowers got two snaps near the end of the game. When the Bengals signed the undrafted free agent, it was his versatility as a athlete that was so appealing. However, it seems like the former quarterback has been backed into a box. With players like Joe Mixon, Giovani Bernard and Mark Walton having spots seemingly secured, it has to be hard for Flowers to also watch guys like Brian Hill (9) and Tra Carson (14) both out snap him as well.

Bengals snap counts vs Bears

Search:
    # NAME POS. Snaps Percentage of snaps
    5 Woodside, Logan QB DNP DNP
    6 Driskel, Jeff QB 31 47
    7 Barkley, Matt QB 22 33
    8 Boyd, Devonte WR 11 16
    9 Murphy, Jared WR 3 4
    11 Ross, Kayuane WR -- --
    12 Erickson, Alex WR 18 27
    13 White, Ka'Raun WR 5 7
    14 Dalton, Andy QB 17 26