Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: John Ross still struggling with the Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    A new more upright stance?

I guess we'll know the truth if Ross starts pointing at the ground while telling the defender in Chad's baby-like voice..."I want you right here."

Bigger picture...Ross needed a game that would silence his critics and IMO he wasn't going to get it by being spoon fed easy catches at the start of the game. I actually liked the way the Bengals used Erickson in place of Ross on a few plays early in the game. Even without the ball you could tell Erickson wanted to be aggressive and it may have given Ross a chance to settle in. To me that's far more important than running gimmick plays designed to get Ross going. Let the game come to him.

Of note, the TD catch midway through the 2nd quarter was his first target. Also noteworthy, his only other target was the even more impressive sideline grab and toe tap. For me, the latter catch was the sign of life I've been not so patiently waiting for. That it occurred after Ross suffered the injury was even more impressive as it represents the first real sign of mental toughness Ross has flashed while wearing the stripes.
    At this point we don’t really need Ross to be a 1000 yard guy. Just keep making a play or two a game. If Boyd keeps it up it’s going to be awfully hard for defenses to figure out how to guard both Boyd and AJ while not forgetting about Ross too. Not to mention Gio or mix out of the backfield. Even without Eifert this team should have plenty of playmakers on O.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    At this point we don’t really need Ross to be a 1000 yard guy. Just keep making a play or two a game. .
    My preseason guess was 30 to 40 receptions for Ross this season. If the injury isn't serious I think he's still on track to make that happen. I wasn't expecting or hoping for much more than that precisely because of the number of weapons ahead of him in the pecking order...and after last seasons meltdown I didn't want Ross feeling too much pressure. But there's the rub because he simply can't have performances like he flashed in Carolina. When he's not being counted on for much production he should never be that big of a factor in why the team loses a game.

Consider the impact Ross had against Atlanta despite getting only two targets and 19 snaps. IMO you can build on that type of performance easier than if the Bengals had tried to give him a couple of easy ones to get him going. Far better to let him make a few truly meaningful contributions within the flow of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    My preseason guess was 30 to 40 receptions for Ross this season. If the injury isn't serious I think he's still on track to make that happen. I wasn't expecting or hoping for much more than that precisely because of the number of weapons ahead of him in the pecking order...and after last seasons meltdown I didn't want Ross feeling too much pressure. But there's the rub because he simply can't have performances like he flashed in Carolina. When he's not being counted on for much production he should never be that big of a factor in why the team loses a game.

Consider the impact Ross had against Atlanta despite getting only two targets and 19 snaps. IMO you can build on that type of performance easier than if the Bengals had tried to give him a couple of easy ones to get him going. Far better to let him make a few truly meaningful contributions within the flow of the game.
    True. I agree we don’t necessarily need to give him easy little catches just for the sake of it. With that being said though I wouldn’t mind some more timely plays designed to get him the ball in space and see if his speed can lead to a big play. Wr screens, slants, etc.

They might not all work but if he gets a couple of those type opportunities a game there is a decent chance he could break a few.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    With that being said though I wouldn’t mind some more timely plays designed to get him the ball in space and see if his speed can lead to a big play. Wr screens, slants, etc.
    Yes to all, but my memories are fresh of Ross doing a pretty fair Tony Toe Tap imitation.

I realize the sideline stuff has a higher degree of difficulty but IMO it needs to be a bigger part of Ross's game. Dalton has to be able to trust Ross on those types of throws and after Carolina I wondered if he would.

Bengals have to do a better job of finding Ross downfield...away from traffic.

James RapienVerified account @JamesRapien 2h2 hours agoMore

“I think he will be fine. I think he just tweaked his groin a little bit. It’s great for John to come out there and have that big touchdown. When we get John going it’s going to be unbelievable.” - Green to Lance and Lap on John Ross during Bengals Line

All 22 Film Room@Fumblecia32 12h12 hours agoMore

Why won’t Bill Lazor use John Ross like an offensive weapon instead of just a receiver? He should be used like tyreek hill is, like a decoy, jet action, orbit action, misdirection ect. Get the ball in his hands creatively! #Bengals

All 22 Film Room@Fumblecia32 12h12 hours agoMore

John Ross has lined up over 90% of his snaps at X or Z reciever. He only has 12 snaps in the slot in 4 games. Why not move him around like a chess piece? #Bengals