Thread: Joe Mixon: I had to tough it out physically

Joe Mixon: I had to tough it out physically

Posted by Josh Alper on September 14, 2018, 6:26 AM EDT

Bengals running back Joe Mixon went to the locker room in the first half of Thursday’s win over the Ravens and checked out of the game again in the second half so that the training staff could take care of a knee injury, but he returned to the game to help the Bengals drive for a pair of late field goals.

Mixon said after the game that he probably would have “played it safe” if the Ravens had not cut a 28-7 lead down to five points on a John Brown touchdown catch, but felt the team needed him to close out the win.

“I had to talk myself to going back in,” Mixon said, via the team’s website. “It’s mental toughness. It was real hard … It felt weird. The knee was hurting. The mental side of it is you always want to play 100 percent. When it’s bothering you, it’s hard mentally. I just had to check back in mentally and tough it out physically.”

Mixon ended the game with 21 carries for 84 yards and has run 38 times for 179 yards through the first two weeks of the regular season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ut-physically/

La Canfora has proven overtime that he has crap sources when it comes to the Bengals, but fwiw:

Joe Mixon could return for the Bengals in Week 4 despite recent knee surgery

Mixon has been a huge part of the Bengals' hot start and could return in time to face the Falcons

Joe Mixon, who's quickly establishing himself as an elite dual-threat running back in his second NFL season, was actually pushing the Bengals to try to return by Sunday from last week's knee scope, sources said, and he remains at least a possibility to play in Week 4.

Mixon had a minor knee clean-up performed last Saturday, removing a particle that had been bothering him, which would generally put him out at least two games. However, since the Bengals had played on Thursday instead of Sunday that week, and the procedure was conducted prior to the end of the week, Mixon's timetable could be fluid.

The back has been explosive catching and running with the ball, and was a huge part of Cincinnati's 2-0 start. He was limited in Week 2 by the injury, but carved up the Ravens defense when he was on the field and is vital to coordinator Bill Lazor's game plan. Mixon has rushed for 179 yards on 38 carries with one rushing touchdown in two games this season, and also had six catches for 57 yards and a touchdown. Mixon is feeling much better since the scope and, if the incision heals before the Bengals take the field in Week 4 at the Atlanta Falcons and there is no advanced risk of infection, he could be active by then.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...-knee-surgery/

Shawn Williams took a horrible angle on that long McCaffery run.