Thread: Bengals' Joe Mixon to have arthroscopic knee surgery

Bengals' Joe Mixon to have arthroscopic knee surgery

By Herbie Teope
    Around The NFL Writer
    Published: Sept. 14, 2018 at 04:37 p.m.
    Updated: Sept. 14, 2018 at 05:48 p.m.

The Cincinnati Bengals could be without running back Joe Mixon for an undetermined period of time.

Mixon will undergo arthroscopic surgery Saturday to clean up the knee he injured in Thursday night's win against the Baltimore Ravens, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Mike Garafolo reported, via sources informed of the situation.

The timeline for Mixon's return won't be clear under after the procedure is completed, Pelissero and Garafolo reported.

Mixon was in and out of the Thursday's game, but managed to total 21 carries for 84 yards on 38 offensive snaps.

Giovani Bernard, who is in his sixth season, has proven himself as a capable backup, but the offense will miss Mixon's big-play capability while he recovers.

The Bengals were 7-2 when Mixon received 15-plus touches during his 2017 rookie campaign. Through two games this season, he had 22 offensive touches in each of the team's games and made the most of the additional work. Mixon averaged 19 carries per game for 89.5 yards and 4.7 yards per carry in the first two games when compared to 12.7 carries for 44.7 yards and 3.5 yards per carry last year.

In addition to having Bernard, the Bengals have Tra Carson and Mark Walton on the active 53-player roster, and rookie Quinton Flowers is on the practice squad.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...c-knee-surgery

I know Gio can step up, and Carson can help, but I feel like it’s going to be very important for Ross to play well while Mixon’s out. My non-expert eye says Mixon is special enough to allow an offense to run the ball to set up the pass. I think Gio can get it done, but would benefit from the offense passing to set up the run. Having Ross successfully blow the top off a defense could go a long way to keeping defenses from crowding the box.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I know Gio can step up, and Carson can help, but I feel like it’s going to be very important for Ross to play well while Mixon’s out. My non-expert eye says Mixon is special enough to allow an offense to run the ball to set up the pass. I think Gio can get it done, but would benefit from the offense passing to set up the run. Having Ross successfully blow the top off a defense could go a long way to keeping defenses from crowding the box.
    No question it’d help to get Ross going. I suspect the Carolina game might be a low-scoring one. They have Cam and McCaffrey looks really good, but they don’t have Greg Olsen and their other receivers aren’t a huge threat (although DJ Moore looks like he will be a good contributor). They have had some significant injuries amd changes in their OL, so I think the Bengal DL can have some success.

Carolina front 7 is really good... especially Kawann Short, and their LBs with Luke K. and Mason are tremendous. I think running will be tough sledding but if the Bengals can have some success throwing it downfield, that’ll open up the running game because they can’t crowd the box. That’s where Ross can certainly help because AJ will get a lot of attention, so if he can win some 1-1 matchups, that’ll be huge. TEs will be key, too, along with Boyd, in making some catches to take pressure off of AJ and open up the running game.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Having Ross successfully blow the top off a defense could go a long way to keeping defenses from crowding the box.
    I don't disagree, but I think some are making too much out of Ross's lack of production. I might feel different if Dalton was targeting Ross a dozen times a game but he's not. Currently Ross is getting 3 or 4 targets per game....enough to keep him involved...but not enough to hinder the offense if he continues to struggle.

I strongly doubt his number of targets goes up until he starts converting more often. That could happen as early as next week, next month, or never...but IMO getting Ross going isn't critical in a passing offense that already features AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, three competent TE's, and a stable filled with pass catching RB's.

That said, IMO the Bengals are already successfully using Ross as a decoy, routinely using him to draw coverage away from both Green and Boyd. It happened all game long against the Ravens.

To be clear I'm not trying to make excuses for Ross. The pass he dropped against the Ravens should have been an easy confidence building grab. Instead, Ross dropped it and immediately seemed to argue with himself....prompting Dalton to ease the tension by laughing openly. And that's fine....because it's just week 2. Pull the same stuff in week 12 and nobody will laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post

I don't disagree, but I think some are making too much out of Ross's lack of production. I might feel different if Dalton was targeting Ross a dozen times a game but he's not. Currently Ross is getting 3 or 4 targets per game....enough to keep him involved...but not enough to hinder the offense if he continues to struggle.

I strongly doubt his number of targets goes up until he starts converting more often. That could happen as early as next week, next month, or never...but IMO getting Ross going isn't critical in a passing offense that already features AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, three competent TE's, and a stable filled with pass catching RB's.

That said, IMO the Bengals are already successfully using Ross as a decoy, routinely using him to draw coverage away from both Green and Boyd. It happened all game long against the Ravens.

To be clear I'm not trying to make excuses for Ross. The pass he dropped against the Ravens should have been an easy confidence building grab. Instead, Ross dropped it and immediately seemed to argue with himself....prompting Dalton to ease the tension by laughing openly. And that's fine....because it's just week 2. Pull the same stuff in week 12 and nobody will laugh.
    I agree with this all around and will add that I think that is why they made a point of going deep with Ross early and often in preseason.

He's going to need to hold onto more passes for Dalton to trust him. In the next two weeks when defenses start to creep back up, those two are going to need that confidence and trust to execute the deep ball when we take those chances.

IMO our percentage of success on those plays is more important than the total number of attempts. I want those shots when they are not in "traditional deep shot" situations, that should be Ross' advantage.

Surgery went well for Mixon. Also, mini-bye falling at a good time. https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1041005533799636992
    I guess the surgery went well. A DR. Tweeted a reply saying his recovery will be dependent on what was removed. If it’s a bit of bone, recovery should be fast and easy. If it’s cartilage, it’s a slower recovery, and could impact his future a bit more.

Joe Mixon has knee surgery, set to miss 2-4 weeks

By Austin Knoblauch
    Digital Content Editor
    Published: Sept. 15, 2018 at 01:03 p.m.

Cincinnati Bengals running back Joe Mixon underwent successful arthroscopic knee surgery Saturday, and the timeline for his return is roughly two to four weeks, a source told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

The procedure came two days after Mixon suffered a right knee injury during the team's Thursday night victory over the Baltimore Ravens. Mixon missed a portion of the second half before returning to finish with 84 yards on 21 carries.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Mike Garafolo first reported Friday that Mixon would need surgery.

With the surgery done, there is a chance the second-year running back could only miss next week's game against the Carolina Panthers before returning for the team's Week 4 contest against the Atlanta Falcons, Rapoport reported.

Giovani Bernard, who is in his sixth season, should see the majority of snaps moving forward, but the offense will miss Mixon's big-play capability while he recovers.

The Bengals were 7-2 when Mixon received 15-plus touches during his 2017 rookie campaign. Through two games this season, he had 22 offensive touches in each of the team's games and made the most of the additional work. Mixon averaged 19 carries per game for 89.5 yards and 4.7 yards per carry in the first two games when compared to 12.7 carries for 44.7 yards and 3.5 yards per carry last year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-miss-24-weeks

This piece is awfully positive (I am on mobile or I would copy the text):

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandi...story,amp.html