Thread: Joe Brings Jolt Of Emotion Into The Mix

Joe Brings Jolt Of Emotion Into The Mix

Joe Mixon: bringing the fire.

Even if running back Joe Mixon doesn’t play Sunday against the Dolphins at Paul Brown Stadium (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12), he’ll be one of their most active guys even if he never comes off the sideline.
    Of course, everyone saw him come off the sideline last Sunday in Atlanta when A.J. Green scored the winning touchdown with seven seconds left. He was closer to Green than the poor cornerback who didn’t drop deep enough in Cover 2, rookie Isaiah Oliver, and leaped all over Green just two weeks off arthroscopic knee surgery. Post pass interference.
    And what they saw is the straight-laced, straight-faced Green-Dalton offense that has been marked by the flat-line personalities of the star quarterback and receiver get a jolt of juice. The 22-year-old Mixon’s almost coltish emotions seem to be a nice mix with the eight-year veteran cool.

“You have to learn how to channel it in different areas,” Mixon said Wednesday before his first practice back in three weeks. “At the same time with the fire I try to play with bring them guys coming along, especially the linemen, they feed off of it a lot. It takes it a long way. They play to a different level. They are firing off the ball. Definitely do a great job up front with the run game and trying to keep Andy free and off the ground. The skill position guys we definitely talk before every play in the huddle. Let’s go, we got to do this, get into the details and everybody is going to get their turn.”

Mixon flashed his bubbly enthusiasm in his last outing against the Ravens Sept. 13, when he gutted out most of the game with a torn meniscus in his knee. Any time a defender took what he thought were liberties with Dalton, he let them know.
    And then there was the Green TD. He had no fears of re-injuring the knee with his flying tackle.
    “I wasn’t worried about none of that. A.J. just scored a touchdown to win the game. I went over there excited,” Mixon said. “We always play off our emotion. It’s how you control your emotion. End of the day, me going over there definitely being excited for A.J. and the pass that Andy threw. What people are not understanding is the pass Andy threw, it was crazy. He threw a dart. I feel like he is not getting enough credit of the pass he threw, they are just talking about the catch.”

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis seems to find this all refreshing. But then, Lewis saw what kind of teammate is when he went back to Oklahoma’s pro day and helped ex-mates get through like quarterback Baker Mayfield. Truth be told, Mixon may have been the first assistant trainer to get drafted in 2017.

“Joe has had that exuberance ever since he has been here,” Lewis said this week. “He had that this spring at Oklahoma when Orlando Brown, Baker Mayfield, and Mark Andrews were all working out (at the pro day). He had the towel and the water bottle. That was what he was doing and that’s Joe. I encourage him to never lose that quality. If you want to ascend to the type of player you can be in the NFL you want to keep that exuberance and comradery with your teammates. Its big, winning is important to him.”
    If you looked closely, he was doing that Sunday for guys that were gassed, like wide receiver Tyler Boyd and rookie running back Mark Walton.
    “They go to work, got to do what they do. I’m there with whatever they need,” Mixon said. “Say for instance like this past weekend, Mark came on the sideline, I’m like, let’s get some water for him. Or Tyler Boyd needed some water, I’m right there to go get it for them. I’ll always be my teammates’ biggest fans. Try to cheer them on as much as possible. It definitely goes a long way and shows I’m going to do whatever I can to continue to be that part. Whether on or off the field.”
    Now he just wants to bring more than the emotion. Everything would say he’s ready to go Sunday. From Lewis’ “sunny,” forecast,” to Mixon going limited in practice Wednesday to the Green Jump-on. The emotion is bubbling.
    “Once they clear me. Hopefully they clear me this week. If not, I’ll be out there next week for sure,” Mixon said.

But the fire will not be inactive if he is.
    “I’m sure. If it’s not from me I guarantee I will on the sideline,” he said.

https://www.bengals.com/news/joe-bri...n-into-the-mix

Injured Joe Mixon enjoying new role on Bengals -- cheerleader

2:15 PM ET

• Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- The pictures tell the tale of the Cincinnati Bengals' win over the Atlanta Falcons in Week 4.

Running back Joe Mixon is posing with former Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson before the game. Then he's in another picture, listening intently as offensive coordinator Bill Lazor and quarterback Andy Dalton discuss plays. He's cheering on the sideline. He's jumping on Dalton's back. In the final pictures from the game, he's running to the end zone and jumping on top of A.J. Green, who had just caught the winning touchdown.

"If you see pictures from after the game, I think he was in every single one of them," Dalton said, "He found a way in the end zone, and he found a way everywhere on the sideline. I’m surprised he didn’t try to go out on the field during the game. I think it’s just how he is, and it’s good to have a guy like that."
    Mixon may have been in more pictures than some of the offensive starters, and he wasn't even playing. Mixon said he just wanted to be a part of the game and help his teammates, even if it was simply by lifting their spirits.

"I’m there with whatever they need. Say, for instance, like this past weekend, Mark [Walton] came on the sideline, I’m like, 'Let’s get some water for him.' Or Tyler Boyd need some water, I’m right there to go get it for them," Mixon said. "I’ll always be my teammates biggest fans. Try to cheer them on as much as possible. It definitely goes a long way and shows I’m going to do whatever I can to continue to be that part. Whether on or off the field."
    Mixon has been held out of games since mid-September, when he had a procedure done to remove some loose particles in his knee. All signs point to a return soon after he was back at practice on Wednesday for the first time since Week 2. Mixon said he hopes he will be cleared to play this week, but if not, he's "for sure" back vs. the Steelers next week.

Whether he's on the sideline or on the field, Mixon's attitude has never changed. He's maintained the same enthusiasm that he had when he showed up on Day 1 last year. His childlike enthusiasm was one of the traits that drew the Bengals to him during the draft process, and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has said he hopes Mixon never loses that.

Lewis pointed out that Mixon was at Oklahoma's pro day last spring cheering on former teammates Orlando Brown, Baker Mayfield and Mark Andrews, so his sideline demeanor isn't exactly new to anyone who has been around him.

"He had the towel and the water bottle," Lewis said. "That was what he was doing and that’s Joe. I encourage him to never lose that quality. If you want to ascend to the type of player you can be in the NFL you want to keep that exuberance and camaraderie with your teammates. It's big; winning is important to him."

The NFL can be a grind for even the most positive players, but the 22-year-old Mixon appears to have a long way to go before he gets to that point.
    "You got to love football," he said. "What’s the point of playing if you don’t love it? It’s just the passion all of us have for the game. Just try to bring whatever juice I can to my teammates, as much as possible. They all feed off of it. It’s all good energy. We just try to do whatever we can."

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-...ls-cheerleader

Bengals are now 8-1 in games where Mixon gets at least 15 rushing attempts.

Lone loss was overtime at Green Bay last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Bengals are now 8-1 in games where Mixon gets at least 15 rushing attempts.
    That's fair, but IMO part of the Bengals offensive problem in the first half was running too often on 1st down. Too many negative plays. But the 2nd half was much better. Mixon did a great job of closing it out.

Play of the game? Dalton's ridiculous TD pass to Mixon has to be a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    That's fair, but IMO part of the Bengals offensive problem in the first half was running too often on 1st down. Too many negative plays. But the 2nd half was much better. Mixon did a great job of closing it out.

Play of the game? Dalton's ridiculous TD pass to Mixon has to be a contender.
    The other would be the TD by MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    The other would be the TD by MJ.
    Dunlap's strip sack returned for a TD was a far more impressive play IMO. Dunlap came from the opposite edge and immediately after bending around the edge made a fully extended leap to hit Tannehill's arm, knocking the ball directly to Hubbard.

By comparison, MJ's interception came after he missed the sack initially, forced Tannehill to step up into the rush of Billings before throwing a badly rushed pass into the back of his own offensive lineman. The ball bounced right to MJ.

I'm not griping but Dunlap's play was an impressive football play few players could make. Same for the TD pass Dalton threw to Mixon. By comparison, MJ got a lucky bounce.

Joltin' Joe Saves Best For Last

Geoff Hobson
    SENIOR WRITER

Joe Mixon veered to 115 total yards.

Bengals offensive coordinator Bill Lazor didn’t give up on the run and running back Joe Mixon flat didn’t give up during Sunday’s resourceful 27-17 victory over Miami that featured Mixon’s gutty 115 total yards and his first pro receiving touchdown.

That’s about all that went right Sunday for an offense that had racked up the fourth most points in the NFL coming into this one at Paul Brown Stadium. The NFL’s best red zone offense scored only once on four trips and got no points on two of them. They won their first game in four years converting just two third downs with as many as 11 tries. Quarterback Andy Dalton was harassed all day while getting sacked twice and hit two others while the Dolphins pulled off six tackles for loss.

And yet, they won because in a 17-17 game with 7:30 left, Lazor kept calling Mixon’s number even though at that point he had just 40 yards on 16 carries. But on second-and-ten from the Bengals 36, Mixon went up the middle for 11 yards. Then on the next snap he went for 31 yards out of a triple tight end set when tight end Mason Schreck folded end Charles Harris inside and Mixon beat cornerback Torry McTyer to the right edge. Then on second-and-10 from the 10, Mixon bulled for eight and nearly got in working behind left guard Clint Boling to set up what amounted to be the winning points on a 21-yard field goal by Randy Bullock with 3:30 left on his way to 93 yards rushing.

You’ve got to love Joltin' Joe. Despite being 22 days off arthroscopic knee surgery and playing on The Paul’s carpet that must have reached anywhere between 90 to 100 degrees, he kept imploring the crowd and his mates with his elastic enthusiasm.

“We had to grind it out,” Mixon said.

That had been the game plan going in. Pound the ball at Miami’s wide-end alignment and reduced tackle corps. But Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke, a Bengals linebackers coach in 2014 and 2015, must have read their minds even though it’s a brand new offensive scheme.

“They filled the box and had nickel blitzes,” Mixon said. “Eight, nine in the box. We had to grind it out with one, three, two, one.

There was a lot of adjustments. One play at a time. The coaches kept saying, keep with it, keep with it, keep trusting it, and we did.”
    And now there’s no question Dalton now trusts Mixon. Go back before all madness ensued. The first play of the fourth quarter.

Dalton is about to get hammered by Charles Harris and he’s got his hands around Dalton’s waist. Dalton muscles it to Mixon at the goal line working on linebacker Kiko Alonso and when it acts more like a shot put than a spiral, Mixon shows great awareness to come back to it for the 18-yard touchdown that cut it to 17-10.

“The rules for the scramble drill,” Mixon said. “The guy (Alonso) was trailing me in the back and (Dalton) threw it and I came back.”
    Dalton approved of how Mixon alertly adjusted like a vet wide receiver.

“That’s what Joe can do. Our backs are great because they’re not just runners, they can catch the ball,” Dalton said. “Joe’s really talented with that, and the thing that’s nice about Joe is he’s a bigger guy. When you get a guy like that with hands, it’s definitely a threat out there.

“I thought I had enough to get it there, and I felt like if I could just get it out there, he could come down with it. As soon as I let go, I got hit, and I wanted to make sure it got there. Fortunately, it did.”

You’ve got to love how Mixon wears his emotions on his sleeve. It’s almost as if he’s connected to the crowd.

“Just the reaction. It was crazy. It felt like I was in a dream,” Mixon said. “When I made that catch and the way the crowd and our players reacted to that, it was definitely huge for momentum and after that the defense really turned it on.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/joltin-...-best-for-last

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Dunlap's strip sack returned for a TD was a far more impressive play IMO. Dunlap came from the opposite edge and immediately after bending around the edge made a fully extended leap to hit Tannehill's arm, knocking the ball directly to Hubbard.

By comparison, MJ's interception came after he missed the sack initially, forced Tannehill to step up into the rush of Billings before throwing a badly rushed pass into the back of his own offensive lineman. The ball bounced right to MJ.

I'm not griping but Dunlap's play was an impressive football play few players could make. Same for the TD pass Dalton threw to Mixon. By comparison, MJ got a lucky bounce.
    To me though the MJ play was more important. It tied the game.