Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Week 6 Notes: Steelers at Bengals

I cannot believe they are going to go with two running backs this week. One hit to the head or turned ankle and it could be Mark Walton the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Um... We aren’t a very good line as it is. Sure don’t like seeing Boling miss practice with a hip issue.

Clint Boling out here in full pads after not participating yesterday (hip).
    Dehner

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    You mean the sweet spot between two defenders? Because the Dolphin SS is nearly as close as the CB and would actually be in better position to defend the ball if he was a step closer.

If that isn't double coverage it will have to do for the purpose of this debate. I only commented on the photo and the video because they fell in my lap. Both were posted or linked by others earlier in the thread and they relate directly to the Miami game in question.

But by all means go find Joe Goodberry clips of Ross running around without the ball against the Colts. We can debate how meaningful it is.
    Before I spend any time looking those up I just want to make sure I understand your position:

You are contending that all defenses we have seen so far have treated John Ross like he is Brandon Lafell or Mo Sanu lined up opposite AJ. There is no need to respect deep speed and they have no problem sticking 1 CB on him and letting the safetys roll to AJ and wherever else coverage is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    I cannot believe they are going to go with two running backs this week. One hit to the head or turned ankle and it could be Mark Walton the rest of the way.
    Any chance they elevate that Flowers kid from the practice squad?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlnutz View Post
    Before I spend any time looking those up I just want to make sure I understand your position:
    You clearly don't but perhaps you're not to blame as the debate has crossed over into multiple threads with numerous posters making differing claims, some more outrageous than others. Amongst those I have real trouble with is the claim that Tyler Boyd needs John Ross to be successful and is incapable of producing if faced with double coverage. Or that Boyd's more modest production against the Dolphins was the direct result of John Ross missing yet another game.

Quite frankly I think all of that is crap and I suspect much of it is the result of people taking Joe Goodberry's rant about Ross running decoy routes a bit too far. I suspect Goodberry was trying to show how Ross had some value even when he wasn't producing and his play was mistake prone. In fact, prior to the Panther game I had written the same. I've also pointed out how every weapon in the Bengals arsenal, including AJ Green, is sometimes tasked with running decoy routes designed to roll coverage away from the preferred target. The only difference is production. Ross hasn't produced.

As for your point about deep speed? Well, I like blowing the top off of a defense as much as the next guy, but to date John Ross has been a pretty lousy deep threat. Worse, his habit of giving up on routes makes him untrustworthy. The end result is a justifiable lack of targets. Change that and I'll happily change what I write about him.

Bottom line, defenses largely defend what you do, not what you pretend to do. At some point running decoy routes and drawing coverage away from productive players isn't enough. Ross needs to step up

Agree? Disagree?