Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 14 Notes: Bengals at Chargers

I thought the pod on the Bengals' website was one of the better ones I've heard - Lap was in rare form. He talked about how bad the D run fits were, he had some choice words about Ced Ogbuehi, talked about Mixon... several things. I thought it was worth a listen.

I was thinking about this yesterday and thought this might be the case, but Jackson/Kirkpatrick/Dennard have combined for 0 interceptions and only 20 PD's this year.

Other sad notes: Burfict has been the 74th ranked linebacker by PFF and that passes the eye test. Geno has had 1 sack in the last 7 games after starting the first 5 games with 6 sacks. Only 4 QB hits in the last seven games (has to be some kind of injury).

Cornerback numbers may be down due to the abysmal linebacking core coverage as they seem to have pretty good PFF numbers. Think a 1 technique and playmaker at linebacker have to be the top finds for next year. Burfict has 2.7M in dead cap if released this off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    I was thinking about this yesterday and thought this might be the case, but Jackson/Kirkpatrick/Dennard have combined for 0 interceptions and only 20 PD's this year.

Other sad notes: Burfict has been the 74th ranked linebacker by PFF and that passes the eye test. Geno has had 1 sack in the last 7 games after starting the first 5 games with 6 sacks. Only 4 QB hits in the last seven games (has to be some kind of injury).

Cornerback numbers may be down due to the abysmal linebacking core coverage as they seem to have pretty good PFF numbers. Think a 1 technique and playmaker at linebacker have to be the top finds for next year. Burfict has 2.7M in dead cap if released this off-season.

yea IMO fix the backers and this D takes a big jump forward, quick.

The Steelers game broke them, as usual, and the Cheifs game buried the body. With ML at the helm these dudes are just collecting paychecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Agree, but I wonder if there is something behind the lack of ball skills from the corners. Dre has 10 career interceptions in 91 games. WJIII with only 1 in 27 games. Quez with 3 in 64 games. Wonder if the corner scheme is aggressive enough. If you take these man-to-man corners with premium draft capital, seems like they should be more willing to let them play a little closer to the LOS or less zone. I realize you can't run man to man if your linebackers are just going to get destroyed, but those numbers seem very low. Maybe they do have poor ball skills, but WJIII in particular seems to have some unreal closing speed.

We definitely need 2 MUCH better starters at LB. But the poor play of the DL is what makes our LB problem a gaping hole. Last year Nigel Bradham was one of the best LBs in the league on that SB winning Eagles defense...this year the dude is "meh" at best. He came from nowhere and went straight back to nowhere. But in the middle he had 6-8 guys on the DL in front of him who wrecked offensive game plans and he capitalized on those opportunities was electric last year.

I'm pretty sure we'd all take Telvin Smith and Myles Jack without even blinking...but those guys looked awful trying to tackle Derrick Henry last night and neither are having Pro Bowl worthy years like they did last year when their DL was a monster. And as far as I know that DL didn't really lose anyone they didn't want to part ways with. So what changed?

Coaching and the effort that accompanies it is all the changed. Marrone's message resonated last year, this year its not.

If you've ever followed hockey you'll know there is a clear line of demarcation from the regular season to the playoffs. Playoff hockey is faster, meaner, harder in every aspect...but its the same freaking dudes that were playing slower and softer 2 months prior. They find that extra gear in those games that mean more. The Bengals HAVE NEVER FOUND that extra gear under Marvin.

Geno could be a 15 sack-a-year player if he had a coach that motivated and schemed him to do that. ML is all about creating "total football players" who do everything well and nothing great. I think our LB problem gets smaller if the DL is coached differently.

Agree, but I wonder if there is something behind the lack of ball skills from the corners. Dre has 10 career interceptions in 91 games. WJIII with only 1 in 27 games. Quez with 3 in 64 games. Wonder if the corner scheme is aggressive enough. If you take these man-to-man corners with premium draft capital, seems like they should be more willing to let them play a little closer to the LOS or less zone. I realize you can't run man to man if your linebackers are just going to get destroyed, but those numbers seem very low. Maybe they do have poor ball skills, but WJIII in particular seems to have some unreal closing speed.
    I'll go again with coaching. Pete Carol told his CBs "they won't call PI (or holding) on every play" and they went to back-to-back Superbowls grabbing the shlt out of guys. Marvin coaches players too clean. This is a dirty game and our dudes are either too clean or excessively dirty...where is "just dirty enough to win?"

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlnutz View Post
    I'll go again with coaching. Pete Carol told his CBs "they won't call PI (or holding) on every play" and they went to back-to-back Superbowls grabbing the shlt out of guys. Marvin coaches players too clean. This is a dirty game and our dudes are either too clean or excessively dirty...where is "just dirty enough to win?"
    Steelers are another example of this. With the game on the line they almost always commit PI and dare the refs to call it. They know most refs never want to be the deciding factor in a game and swallow their whistles in the 4th quaurter. Also thought it was telling how the Steelers jumped off sides on three straight FGAs against the Chargers, including one where the kicker missed and the next where Pitt blocked the kick. Dared the refs to make the call three times in a row and for once they did. Had they not the Steelers might have won the game in OT. Also, I've heard announcers in the Denver/Pittsburgh game comment on how the Steelers always run a pick play on offense in critical situations and dare the refs to make the call. The announcers even used the Bengal game as an example.

As for the Bengals CB play specifically, I'm guessing the mediocre stats reflect how poor the LB play is. Bengals LB play is atrocious and opposing teams rarely have to test other defenders. For yet another example, Jesse Bates has been almost invisible the last couple of weeks because teams don't have to throw deep to make chunk plays.

Overall I agree with the point about the defense improving dramatically if they can upgrade their linebackers. In fact, I was watching the Titan/Jaguars game last night and fantasizing anew about drafting Rashaan Evans instead of Billy Price. Evans isn't that good statistically but you can see him influencing plays in ways Nick Vigil and Burfict can only dream of.

Melvin Gordon out

Melvin Gordon out
    Hey, we might only lose by 21 now!