Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Zac Taylor to interview with Bengals, Broncos, Cardinals this weekend

Report: Zac Taylor to interview with Bengals, Broncos, Cardinals this weekend

Posted by Josh Alper on January 1, 2019, 12:09 PM EST

Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor has popped up on the radar of several teams looking for a head coach and he’s reportedly set up interviews with a couple of them.

Albert Breer of SI.com reports that Taylor is scheduled for interviews with the Broncos and Cardinals on Saturday. Breer adds that he is still working to schedule an interview with the Bengals and that it is likely to take place on Friday.

The Bengals have also requested permission to interview Rams passing game coordinator Shane Waldron, so they may be trying to schedule time to meet both coaches in Los Angeles.

Taylor is eligible to speak to teams this week because the Rams have a bye through the first round of the playoffs. Any future conversations would have to wait until the Rams have been eliminated or until the week after the conference title games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-this-weekend/

I don't know anything about Taylor or Waldron, but QB Coach and Passing Game Coordinator to Head Coach seems like a big jump to me. They may well be good coaches. I just can't shake the Dave Shula feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I don't know anything about Taylor or Waldron, but QB Coach and Passing Game Coordinator to Head Coach seems like a big jump to me. They may well be good coaches. I just can't shake the Dave Shula feeling.
    My initial thought as well. Both guys are young and haven’t had any OC experience. Big jump for either guy. But hey, at least they aren’t just looking at retreads.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    My initial thought as well. Both guys are young and haven’t had any OC experience. Big jump for either guy. But hey, at least they aren’t just looking at retreads.
    Taylor was the OC for the Dolphins. He has pretty decent experience for a 35 year old.

Waldron is very inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Taylor was the OC for the Dolphins. He has pretty decent experience for a 35 year old.

Waldron is very inexperienced.
    It was only for five games though. He took over when Lazor got fired.

I'll take inexperienced over business as usual.

Any reason to hope Mike saddled his last run as decision-maker to Marvin’s tenure, and now Katie is in the drive seat?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    I'll take inexperienced over business as usual.
    Agreed. Would love to see a young up and comer hired over a retread like Vance Joseph, Hue Jackson, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Agreed. Would love to see a young up and comer hired over a retread like Vance Joseph, Hue Jackson, etc.
    Not sure I see Joseph as a re-tread... granted, he didn't do well in Denver but he didn't have a QB worth an isht, either. He got 2 years - not exactly much time to make a difference. Not saying he'd be my choice, but I think he'll get another shot somewhere, and he deserves to. Maybe not this year, and if not, I expect he'll be a DC someplace.

Re: Simmons, I know he's been part of the Marvin regime, but I've always liked him. He knows the roster, his guys have performed well... I wouldn't hate it.

Great that the Bengals are looking at younger offensive-minded guys. I suspect that Katie and Troy are doing more of the heavy lifting on this hire than Mike is, but it's just my gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Just realized he once played QB for Nebraska. Feels like yesterday when he last played. A feature on NFLNetwork says the Rams passing game is entirely his handiwork. Inexperienced but ready for the next step. Rams have a bye week so Taylor has four interviews scheduled for this weak. A good chance at least one team, perhaps the very first, won't let him leave after the interview. Very high energy