Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Bengals make first FA splash

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Bengals hosted DT Danny Shelton
    He's usually the first name I mention when I'm ranting about fat NT's and why I don't like them. Never been a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    Quez visiting the chiefs.
    Really strange what the Chiefs are doing on D. Justin Houston a FA, Allen Bailey available, Dee Ford gone, Eric Berry (although he’s had a lot of injuries) gone, and then signing Honey Badger at S and Damian Wilson at LB... just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    He's usually the first name I mention when I'm ranting about fat NT's and why I don't like them. Never been a fan.
    He’s a pretty good athlete but he’s washed out several places. So did BW Webb, but at least his last year was his best. Shelton really hasn’t done much anywhere. But hey, he’s got a SB ring.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    He’s a pretty good athlete but he’s washed out several places.
    IMO Danny Shelton has been one of the most overrated players of all time. Straight up awful.

Funny thing is.....I think it would be a very popular signing in Bengala.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    IMO Danny Shelton has been one of the most overrated players of all time. Straight up awful.

Funny thing is.....I think it would be a very popular signing in Bengala.
    Any former first rounder would be.

I think he’d be solid in a rotation with Billings.

How many snaps are you looking for? I want Ed Oliver to play a hybrid 3 and 5 tech role, but maybe that's just me. Oliver played nearly 182 snaps as a NT last year...about 150 more than Quinnen Williams faced. Plus, Oliver has three years of experience facing double and triple team blocking while playing the nose. Some have even argued he hurt his reputation by agreeing to do the dirty work others of his stature would have refused. Small wonder he gets washed out from time to time.

PFF filtered out Ed Oliver's snaps at NT to see how much his pass rush ranking would improve. Jumped from a head scratching 17th to 3rd best. Only fractionally behind 1-year wonder Quinnen Williams and an unnamed player who played the nose less than a dozen snaps.
    Last edited by HOF; 03-16-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Too redundant? Billings can play the run stuffer role and his rotation would be more of a pass rusher.

Nothing so far to get you really excited but at least they've plugged the gaping holes enough so that they aren't forced to reach at #11 to plug a specific position. Gives them the flexibility to go more of a BPA approach.

It also looks like there are some very easy outs after the first year on all of these deals, so it's more like 1-year deals with a couple of team options added on.

So for example, they could easily draft an OT at #11 even though they're on the hook for $7M or so for Hart. Then you have Hart as a slightly overpaid backup to both OT spots for one year and then he can be cut. It's a pretty cheap price to pay to open up the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Nothing so far to get you really excited but at least they've plugged the gaping holes enough so that they aren't forced to reach at #11 to plug a specific position. Gives them the flexibility to go more of a BPA approach.

It also looks like there are some very easy outs after the first year on all of these deals, so it's more like 1-year deals with a couple of team options added on.

So for example, they could easily draft an OT at #11 even though they're on the hook for $7M or so for Hart. Then you have Hart as a slightly overpaid backup to both OT spots for one year and then he can be cut. It's a pretty cheap price to pay to open up the draft.

Certainly one way to look at it. Would you overpay (say $5M combined) on Hart and brown to have complete draft flexibility? The ability to move up, move down, not reach with any pick? Not dependent to draft any position?