Thread: 2019 NFL head coach power rankings: Who follows Bill Belichick?

2019 NFL head coach power rankings: Who follows Bill Belichick?

Elliot Harrison
    NFL.com Analyst

Just about everyone agrees Bill Belichick is the premier head coach in pro football today. But who comes after him in the pecking order?

Overall record is usually the primary metric when judging these coaches. That's not always the case in the actual job interview, though (and it's not the only measuring stick in this exercise). We saw hires this offseason where, in some cases, the new front man's win-loss record was either poor or nonexistent (six of the eight teams that made a change this offseason hired men who had never been an NFL HC).

All of which makes ranking the non-Belichick's a strenuous exercise. Check out the parsing below for the 26 guys who have experience in the role, with my thoughts on the first-time NFL HCs below them.

Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals

The head-coaching hire that came with the least ballyhooing in 2019 has to be Zac Taylor. Taylor was Sean McVay's quarterbacks coach last season, which doesn't make him unique among the new HCs given that the Packers brought on another McVay disciple in Matt LaFleur, who was the Rams' OC under McVay in 2017. In 2018, Taylor built on LaFleur's success with Jared Goff, as the young QB posted another prolific campaign, then made clutch throws that helped the Rams advance through the NFC field in the playoffs. Taylor was an assistant wide receivers coach for the Rams in 2017, following one-year stints as offensive coordinator for both the Dolphins and the University of Cincinnati. Taylor is the poster child of NFL teams' desire to find the next transcendent offensive mind, as he's just a couple months past his 36th birthday, and has only two years of experience as a coordinator. Still, the new Bengals front man finds himself in a better situation than you think.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap30...bill-belichick

I will assume we’re going to be at the bottom of every preseason list.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I will assume we’re going to be at the bottom of every preseason list.
    Last time that happened we made the playoffs.

Total Access did a preview of the AFCN. Predicted a last place finish for dem Bengals but admitted the had all of the ingredients to be a sleeper team if Taylor was as good as rumored. Wondered aloud what might happen if this team reached mid season with a .500 record and suddenly started to believe in itself.

Was surprisingly positive, I thought.