Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AJ Green Injured

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    AJ Green wasn't going to get Michael Thomas money even if healthy. He's 31 years old and doesn't have the leverage Thomas had. Nutshelled, with or without Green the Bengals aren't Super Bowl contenders this year. With Thomas the Saints are. Without him they're not.

As for tagging Green next year? I didn't like the idea before his injury and I like it even less now. The tag cost for wideouts is going to be crazy next year. If the Bengals come to the point where they don't think they can come to an agreement I'd rather see them embrace the idea of a more extensive rebuild and trade him before the deadline for whatever they could get. And my first call might be to Washington to see if the WR poor Redskins would part with OT Trent Williams
    Theres no way they "decide" on AJs future by week 8 this year...outside a catastrophic result that ends his season and puts his future in the NFL in doubt...and even then we'd probably pounce on the chance to sign him for a bargain! If they were gonna rebuild it should have started this year. IMO there was a definitive 2 year commitment to this core.

I thought I saw that NE was already in negotiations for Trent Williams on Twitter today? I would totally try to add him, but there's no way THEY would with Glenn on the roster and having just drafted Jonah.
    Last edited by Squirrlnutz; 07-31-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Stating the obvious here but we'd have so many better options if John Ross was actually good. Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlnutz View Post
    Theres no way they "decide" on AJs future by week 8 this year...outside a catastrophic result that ends his season and puts his future in the NFL in doubt.
    Define catastrophic...because I'm not talking about ending his season or career prematurely Rather, I'm talking about the situation the two sides find themselves in right now.

Consider, recent reports claim that even before he was injured the two sides were far apart at the negotiating table. Now factor in the injury and the uncertainty about when Green might return. Does he miss two games? If so I'd guess the negotiations would proceed normally. But what if he's expected to miss more time than that? What if you were told he wouldn't be 100% until week 5 or later? Some are already talking about the possibility of Green being placed in IR/Return if his rehab is slower than projected.

Point being, even injured I wouldn't expect Green to sign a long term contract extension at scratch and dent prices. Not when he can play out the season and then spend months trying to attract other bidders. As for the Bengals? There's simply no way I'd consider using the tag on Green next season if he produces another 800-1000 yard season. This season, much like the one before it, was supposed to be the year Green proved he was still a top producer

So do we see AJ extended this week?

I would be even more curious about any sort of update on how the healing is going. Still in a boot, etc? There's been no sightings of him that I've read from any of the observers since he had the procedure.

By the way, I broke my ankle last Thursday evening after I got home from the Bengals/Washington game. My dog had left a large stick near the back door and I stepped out into the darkness, stepped on it, and rolled it and heard a pop. That was the bone/ligaments apparently. In any event, I have taken my suffering for the team too literally at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    So do we see AJ extended this week?
    Not unless AJ is taking a below market deal

Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    Not unless AJ is taking a below market deal

I wouldn’t be shocked by that. Injured in a contract year with an injury history. He may be spooked a bit.

I wouldn’t be shocked by that. Injured in a contract year with an injury history. He may be spooked a bit.
    My main concern is he's always going to be compared against Julio. If Julio gets another top of the market extension, I have a hard time seeing AJ settle for what the team probably sees as his worth.

He may be spooked a bit.
    He's probably not the only one.

Last update claimed the two sides weren't close. As much as I'd like to see them get a deal done I can't think of a single reason why Tobin would improve his last offer.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    He's probably not the only one.

Last update claimed the two sides weren't close. As much as I'd like to see them get a deal done I can't think of a single reason why Tobin would improve his last offer.
    Update: Out until week 4 minimum. 6 may be more likely.