Thread: Concerns after Week 1?

Concerns after Week 1?

This thread isn’t meant to be negative, but more of a contraction view.

my couple:

1) Tyler Eifert was very underused Sunday and I fear that could be a teen based on the Rams lack of use of a TE. Especially when passing to the TE’s downfield would have opened up the running game.

2) I slightly sorry we emptied the cupboard on offense and defense and now teams will be able to scheme against us. Bengals very much had the element of surprise week one, and it wasn’t enough.

Re Eifert, given his history and the fact that he played 1 snap in PS, I didn’t expect him to play a ton last Sunday. I’m sure they will ease him into a bigger workload - I thought he looked pretty good, as he had a few 3rd down conversions. More to come.

As far as them emptying the clip in game 1, I don’t think that’s the case. Clearly, they showed their hand much more than the PS - as every team did - but they only ran 55 plays. I did find it interesting from a game planning perspective that Tyler Lockett was quoted as saying that the Bengals did some things coverage-wise that he’d never encountered before in the league. I like the fact that Lou has a DB coach background in a predominantly passing league. And I think they have enough chess pieces to use versatile approaches, like a hybrid DE/LB look with guys like Hubbard, Lawson and Carlos, and safeties like Williams and Fedj who can play coverage LB-type roles when needed.

I’m okay with not using eifert a ton. But first and goal on the 4 should have included at least 1 if not 2 passes to eifert.

Concerns? They left too many points on the field. Have to start hitting in the red zone. If that means Eifert fine. I'd be just as happy to see Erickson or Willis.

Get luckier? Dre trips over his own feet and instead of a defensive TD right before the monsoon and a ten point lead they have the ball in the monsoon and Andy has the slip thing. They need to run block better. They need to tackle a little cleaner. But I don’t see anything still to stress over. And when AJ is back and on the field with a confident Ross and Boyd, I will take our chances.

1. What is taking so long for Glenn? I am worried this dude announces a retirement.

2. Dre can be so solid, but it seems like at least once or twice a game he makes me shake my head and wonder why he does bone-headed things.

3. Andy's inability to get the ball out on screens (other than to a TE - which I LOVE and always seem to work). I'm certainly not looking up stats, but I just seem to remember so many times that screens are batted down or thrown at the ground to avoid a train wreck.

4. I constantly worry about injuries. It is starting to become a phobia.

5. How much am I going to spend on shirts, frames for newspaper/magazine covers, etc. once the Bengals are Super Bowl Champions???

Why does Andy have so many balls batted down? There are a lot of QB's that are shorter than him (Brees, Wilson, Prescott) that don't seem to have this problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Bengal View Post
    Why does Andy have so many balls batted down? There are a lot of QB's that are shorter than him (Brees, Wilson, Prescott) that don't seem to have this problem...
    Maybe staring down the receivers too much or having an OL that isn’t punishing defenders for sticking their hands up by hitting them harder while blocking.

Although it seemed Sunday most of them were on screens where clowney or a DE read the play well.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Bengal View Post
    He does seem to have his share... that’s a big concern for this weekend as well. SF has 2 guys in Armstead and Buckner who are both 6-7+, and Bosa is 6-4. How well the Bengal OL does against that front will be a big determinant on the outcome, IMO.

I don’t think it’s one specific thing... I’m sure there is stuff Andy can do better but as others have said, the OL can also do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

2) I slightly sorry we emptied the cupboard on offense and defense and now teams will be able to scheme against us. Bengals very much had the element of surprise week one, and it wasn’t enough.

i really didn’t think this would be that right.