Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 342

Thread: QB Talk

  1. #111
    I also don't understand the argument against taking a QB (assuming there is one ranked in the top 5) in the top 5 over taking other positions because that isn't "building the right way" as if there is somehow less of a chance of the Bengals biffing top 5 picks at other positions too. The same worries I am reading in this thread and elsewhere on the Bengals social media world about screwing up a top 5 pick at QB really could be applied to worrying about the team messing up any top 5 or top 10 pick regardless of position.

  2. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    I guess this sums up where I am at. I don’t trust this ownership and team to make the right moves. I don’t see them rebuilding this team and showing progress. I think the only hope is getting lucky and getting a savior at QB that can elevate everyone around him.

    That’s how down I am on mike, Duke and gang right now.
    I feel ya man, this blows. I'm down on those guys too and would honestly feel the best about this Org if we saw changes at that level this offseason.

    Where we disagree is that I don't believe "a savior" exists..period. This is the ultimate team game and even a generational talent like Aaron Rogers or Brett Favre can spend their Sundays punching their ticket to the HOF for 10 straight years and still end up with as many Superbowl wins as Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco.

    IMO when you pull back and put the reality of actually winning a Superbowl into perspective you can let go of the ideal that you need an Elite 40/4000 QB to do it. Obviously a guy who is constantly in the MVP conversation is going to make your odds better and your Sunday's more exciting...but it is definitively NOT a requirement. What a champ needs is a playoff berth followed by great team play and then some dudes stepping up in the clutch: Nick Foles dad-dlcking Brady while catching a TD pass, Von Miller generating more offense from the DE spot than Peyton Manning could, Flacco ascending to become a diety for 4 games, Eli Manning making the perfect throw at the perfect time, Antwaan Randle-El playing QB better than his own QB.

    If a strong team is built then the burden of finding the needle in the haystack QB is gone.

  3. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I also don't understand the argument against taking a QB (assuming there is one ranked in the top 5) in the top 5 over taking other positions because that isn't "building the right way" as if there is somehow less of a chance of the Bengals biffing top 5 picks at other positions too. The same worries I am reading in this thread and elsewhere on the Bengals social media world about screwing up a top 5 pick at QB really could be applied to worrying about the team messing up any top 5 or top 10 pick regardless of position.
    While true in a vacuum, I disagree. The pressure and expectations of playing QB is vastly different than that of any other position. Mis-handling/rostering the players around a QB can submarine his career much faster than that of a Left Tackle or an Edge Rusher. How many of the OTs or DEs have an expected press conference after each game compared to their team's QB?

    The mental burden is far greater at QB and such is the likelyhood that circumstances which have nothing to do with their ability to throw the ball or read a defense can derail their career.

  4. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I also don't understand the argument against taking a QB (assuming there is one ranked in the top 5) in the top 5 over taking other positions because that isn't "building the right way" as if there is somehow less of a chance of the Bengals biffing top 5 picks at other positions too. The same worries I am reading in this thread and elsewhere on the Bengals social media world about screwing up a top 5 pick at QB really could be applied to worrying about the team messing up any top 5 or top 10 pick regardless of position.
    There was an interesting flow chart that Joe Goodberry posted that was kinda funny and prob accurate.

    Essentially if you are picking in the top 5, don’t have a franchise QB, and one is available, take him.

  5. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I also don't understand the argument against taking a QB (assuming there is one ranked in the top 5) in the top 5 over taking other positions because that isn't "building the right way" as if there is somehow less of a chance of the Bengals biffing top 5 picks at other positions too. The same worries I am reading in this thread and elsewhere on the Bengals social media world about screwing up a top 5 pick at QB really could be applied to worrying about the team messing up any top 5 or top 10 pick regardless of position.
    There was an interesting flow chart that Joe Goodberry posted that was kinda funny and prob accurate.

    Essentially if you are picking in the top 5, don’t have a franchise QB, and one is available, take him.

  6. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I also don't understand the argument against taking a QB (assuming there is one ranked in the top 5) in the top 5 over taking other positions because that isn't "building the right way" as if there is somehow less of a chance of the Bengals biffing top 5 picks at other positions too.
    Can't speak for others but I'm not arguing against drafting a QB at all. It makes perfect sense in plenty of ways. That said I doubt there's a single perfect draft strategy for the Bengals.

    All options should be on the table.

  7. #117
    If you don't have a franchise QB and one is on the board, you draft him. As much as I would love to get Chase Young and Justin Fields, we can't pass on Burrow or Tua this April.

    Edit: I didn't see the post from JBandJoeyV When I said this.

    Great minds think alike.
    Last edited by Jason_NC; 10-24-2019 at 08:04 PM.

  8. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    If you don't have a franchise QB and one is on the board, you draft him. As much as I would love to get Chase Young and Justin Fields, we can't pass on Burrow or Tua this April.

    Edit: I didn't see the post from JBandJoeyV When I said this.

    Great minds think alike.
    I agree, IF, you are pretty certain that QB you draft is a true franchise QB. If not then I think you can pass.

  9. #119
    I’d be open to a Chase Young/Sam Ehlinger 1-2 punch.


    Ehlinger is much like what we hoped Dalton would become.

  10. #120
    FWIW Urban Meyer naming Burrow, Fields and Hurts as his top 3 QB’s. No Tua.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •