Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The chase for #1

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post

All valid. But to the same point of you thinking our FO may not be able to evaluate the true franchise QB, I don’t think they can build a championship caliber roster that we can use to supplement a second tier QB like an Andy dalton. I think that’s how you end up with a lot of early round playoff losses. I don’t trust that we’ll spend the money or make the draft picks to develop the kind of roster we need to succeed.
    I actually agree on all accounts except; I view playoff berths and playoff results as completely different entities, and I still want to see them execute this process because I believe it to be the least risky approach.

Heck I think that’s the only reason why we had some success over the last 15 years, because we drafted A blue chip Carson Palmer and he revived the organization. If we don’t get Carson Palmer I think Marvin’s tenure ends before it gets to 5 years let alone 16. We turned into a somewhat stable franchise and even after Carson left we had enough talent to be okay with Andy dalton.
    CP was legit. But I think it's important for this discussion to point out Byron Leftwich (#7) won a playoff game first.

Sorry this was a lot of rambling but my main point is I think Trying to get a true top 5 qb gives them a better shot of winning a super bowl then drafting a Andy Dalton type second tier qb in the last first or second round.
    Please ramble, we need something to distract from the fact that the product on the field is trash.

Unfortunately (for me because it IS conventional wisdom) I think "trying to get" a top 5 QB always leads to failure. Everyone of these guys is freakishly athletic and can throw the football like it's a toy, but you have still got to get the right marriage of coaching/opportunity/attitude/skillset/effort/support/luck to wind up with the prospect you're describing. I'd honestly rather spend an eternity with this franchise trying to build a winning team around an average-to-above QB vs going 4 years at a time gambling on that HOF guy and I completely understand if I'm alone in thinking that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange n Black View Post

Win. They will never, ever, outright TRY to tank. Even if it's the "right" thing to do. And honestly I don't think blatantly tanking is the "right" thing to do anyway. The NFL is so volatile, a handful of moves that work out can turn a garbage team into a contender in one offseason. Why destroy your locker room, your team chemistry, your fanbase by explicitly trying not to win? Just so you can get the #7 pick instead of the #17, which has almost no guarantee of being a better player?
    I back this 100% it's why I said in the previous post that I view playoff berths and playoff results through completely different lenses. Just get to the dance and THEN play your best ball. Yes of course history says if you have HOF QB your chances of Superbowl glory are better, but unless you've got a Brady or Bradshaw at QB your really not more likely to ACTUALLY win the game more than a Flacco or Dilfer.

We’re #1. We’re #1.

Jets and Broncos about to get their first wins. Cardinals get their 2nd.

I am amazed by anyone still watching them this season. I caught some of the Seahawks game, and the beginning of the Jets game. Otherwise, I just can’t let this season into my viewing life.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I am amazed by anyone still watching them this season. I caught some of the Seahawks game, and the beginning of the Jets game. Otherwise, I just can’t let this season into my viewing life.

we haven’t played the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I watched Jets vs.Dallas. I like Darnold and he looked pretty damned good yesterday, especially given he’s still not 100%. Their D is pretty solid up front, they have CJ Mosley and Adams et al in the secondary.

Jets are no slouch. Certainly better than what the Bengals are throwing out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I watched some of last Sunday’s Seahawks/Browns game, and some of the Jets/Cowboys game. Did not have easy access to the Bengals game, and didn’t lift a finger to find a stream.

Jets are better than the Bengals at this point.