Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dalton Speaks Out

Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    I'm not sure this point about timing really matters. I doubt they would have traded him even if they decided this last week.
    Sounds like they plan to start Finley the rest of the way. Wouldn't be surprised if that plan blows up too.

Dalton may get a chance to break Kenny's record yet.

Maybe they can trade him to Cleveland. Dalton’s stats are much better than Mayfield’s.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Sounds like they plan to start Finley the rest of the way. Wouldn't be surprised if that plan blows up too.

Dalton may get a chance to break Kenny's record yet.
    Injury, or Finley pulling a Tom Savage/Nathan Peterman notwithstanding, I'm guessing they want to give him enough snaps and games to do a good evaluation. They gave Andy 8 games, and Zac (and possibly the rest of the coaches) have made enough of an evaluation to know what they have (or don't have) in Dalton. I'm glad they pulled the trigger... if Andy isn't the guy after this year, find someone who could be - and that starts with Finley, and who knows, maybe Dolegala, too.

If Finley plays well enough, then they have the chance to go BPA in the draft and see how he does in 2020 as the starter. That would be the ideal scenario, IMO. Guess we'll have a better sense in December but I'm hoping that he develops a lot of chemistry with both Eifert and Green so they want to stay around and be part of the solution longer-term.

Blog Entries
    Simply not a good situation. This kids gonna get killed behind this oline.

Dalton got zero help this past offseason. In no area did this teams offensive talent level improve and now he’s the scap goat. I’m not a big Dalton guy but he got a raw deal here and the new kids confidence will be crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by cwing View Post
    Simply not a good situation. This kids gonna get killed behind this oline.

Dalton got zero help this past offseason. In no area did this teams offensive talent level improve and now he’s the scap goat. I’m not a big Dalton guy but he got a raw deal here and the new kids confidence will be crushed.
    I dont get the “dalton got a raw deal” crowd.

How many QBs get 9 years without winning a playoff game?

Not saying it’s all his fault but at some point you have to try someone new.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    I dont get the “dalton got a raw deal” crowd.

How many QBs get 9 years without winning a playoff game?

Not saying it’s all his fault but at some point you have to try someone new.
    The front office absolutely destroyed this offense. In 2015, Andy was playing at a very high level and was likely going to finish in the top 3 in the mvp voting and might had won it had he finished the season strong. After that year, the front office let a lot of talent walk out the door and replaced them with garbage draft picks and free agents. They let Jones and Sanu walked and replaced them with LaFell and Core. Let a Hall of Fame LT walk and replaced him with Ced. They hired a terrible offensive coordinator and stuck with a o line coach way past his prime. Ever since 2015 the talent on this offense has significantly gone down hill and it got to the point it broke Andy. Rather than firing Tobin or admit they screwed up by not putting talent around Andy, they just benched him and used him as a scapegoat. This is the second franchise QB this front office has screwed up in ten years. Had they made an effort to continue to put talent around Andy who knows what would’ve happened if Andy could have built off that 2015 season. Instead he was stuck behind a god awful o line and lack luster WRs and it broke him and they kicked him to the curb. Then all year long his number WR is out and as soon as Green is ready to come back to say sorry your benched, it’s a pretty raw deal. Andy’s broke and it’s time for something new but these last two and half years the front office has screwed Andy and this team over with their terrible moves.
    Last edited by BigDawgBengal; 10-31-2019 at 03:56 AM.

I'll give Taylor one piece of credit. While he maybe didn't handle the situation well with Dalton, he took the time and individually told each position group of the move.

In unrelated news, ESPN has resorted to doing an entire interview segment on how Taylor treats the baristas at Starbucks. That's where we are at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    ... I'm guessing they want to give him enough snaps and games to do a good evaluation.
    The only way this makes sense is if they do the type of evaluation some fans think either can't or shouldn't be done. It's the very reason this is happening.

That said, I think Taylor is taking a risk. He just admitted Dalton gives them a better chance to win and said the reason for the move is to evaluate a rookie. Hard to demand 110% from other players when you're not playing to win.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    The only way this makes sense is if they do the type of evaluation some fans think either can't or shouldn't be done. It's the very reason this is happening.

That said, I think Taylor is taking a risk. He just admitted Dalton gives them a better chance to win and said the reason for the move is to evaluate a rookie. Hard to demand 110% from other players when you're not playing to win.

Its definitely a risk because 0-16 is unacceptable. I will pound the table hard to fire a coach who can't win a single game, I certainly don't want that guy coaching our #1 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlnutz View Post
    Its definitely a risk because 0-16 is unacceptable. I will pound the table hard to fire a coach who can't win a single game, I certainly don't want that guy coaching our #1 pick.
    We're talking about different types of risk....and fwiw I doubt Taylor faces much risk of being fired regardless of his record.

Remember when talked about changing the culture here?

Now, just eight games in he admits they're no longer playing to win.
    Last edited by HOF; 10-31-2019 at 02:20 PM.