Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Way Too Early Mock Drafts

  1. #1

    Way Too Early Mock Drafts

    1. QB Joe Burrow, LSU


    OK this one is likely a slam dunk, but I don't think it quite is yet even if it should be.

    Alternate Pick:
    I don't think you can underestimate the fact that the Bengals spend an entire week with Justin Herbert. If they like Herbert and, say Miami, comes along offering 4 first round picks over the next 2 drafts, it could be very difficult to pass up for a rebuilding team. So I don't think the door is entirely shut, but I do think Miami is likely the only realistic trade partner.


    2. OL Terrence Steele, Texas Tech

    He's been a fast riser at the Senior Bowl and Jim Turner seems to be falling in love with him. Turner may have even tried to recruit him at Texas A&M. I could see him stumping hard for him at 33 even if it might be a slight reach. It doesn't sound like he'd still be there at 65. If I'm not mistaken, he has been playing RT, as well as some guard this week.

    Alternate Pick: LB Zach Baun could be a realistic pick if he drops to 33. He was mostly a pass rusher in college, but will be a LB in the NFL. He's shown ability to cover in the pass game and has a strong motor. He'd be a good fit in Anarumo's hybrid defense. he's like the opposite of Lawson, a hybrid guy but more LB than DE whereas Lawson is more DE than LB. This of course is also a spot where a later first round OL, DE or WR may fall to. This pick may truly end up being BPA. The bigger question is would they trade down is someone offers, say a 3rd round pick? That would give you 5 picks in the top 100 for a rebuilding team.

    3. LB Cameron Brown, Penn State

    If they don't go Baun in the 2nd, I like Brown here. He's more a traditional LB than Baun. Brown has a relentless motor, sure tackler, and some pass rush ability. He also holds up well in coverage. He just needs to control his body at times. Sometimes his relentless motor will cause him to overshoot a tackle.

    Alternate Pick: OL and WR seem like realistic picks here if they aren't taken higher. It's weird, pick 65 doesn't feel like a 3rd round pick. I'm not used to picking this high. This again may truly be a BPA situation as 2nd round talents will surely drop. The Bengals are in a draft position to realistically take BPA with their 5 picks in the first four rounds. They have plenty of needs, and their draft position is going to allow them to grab a lot of talent that should go higher than they will.



    One other thing I've been thinking, is that I think we will see a true NT at some point. If Anarumo is committed to a hybrid 4-3/3-4 one big thing (literally) missing is a NT in a 3-4 look. I don't know that Billings (who is a free agent) or Tupou quite fit that mold. i'd also like to find an heir apparent to Geno at the other DT spot.

  2. #2
    Share your mocks below!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    1. QB Joe Burrow, LSU


    OK this one is likely a slam dunk, but I don't think it quite is yet even if it should be.

    Alternate Pick:
    I don't think you can underestimate the fact that the Bengals spend an entire week with Justin Herbert. If they like Herbert and, say Miami, comes along offering 4 first round picks over the next 2 drafts, it could be very difficult to pass up for a rebuilding team. So I don't think the door is entirely shut, but I do think Miami is likely the only realistic trade partner.


    2. OL Terrence Steele, Texas Tech

    He's been a fast riser at the Senior Bowl and Jim Turner seems to be falling in love with him. Turner may have even tried to recruit him at Texas A&M. I could see him stumping hard for him at 33 even if it might be a slight reach. It doesn't sound like he'd still be there at 65. If I'm not mistaken, he has been playing RT, as well as some guard this week.

    Alternate Pick: LB Zach Baun could be a realistic pick if he drops to 33. He was mostly a pass rusher in college, but will be a LB in the NFL. He's shown ability to cover in the pass game and has a strong motor. He'd be a good fit in Anarumo's hybrid defense. he's like the opposite of Lawson, a hybrid guy but more LB than DE whereas Lawson is more DE than LB. This of course is also a spot where a later first round OL, DE or WR may fall to. This pick may truly end up being BPA. The bigger question is would they trade down is someone offers, say a 3rd round pick? That would give you 5 picks in the top 100 for a rebuilding team.

    3. LB Cameron Brown, Penn State

    If they don't go Baun in the 2nd, I like Brown here. He's more a traditional LB than Baun. Brown has a relentless motor, sure tackler, and some pass rush ability. He also holds up well in coverage. He just needs to control his body at times. Sometimes his relentless motor will cause him to overshoot a tackle.

    Alternate Pick: OL and WR seem like realistic picks here if they aren't taken higher. It's weird, pick 65 doesn't feel like a 3rd round pick. I'm not used to picking this high. This again may truly be a BPA situation as 2nd round talents will surely drop. The Bengals are in a draft position to realistically take BPA with their 5 picks in the first four rounds. They have plenty of needs, and their draft position is going to allow them to grab a lot of talent that should go higher than they will.



    One other thing I've been thinking, is that I think we will see a true NT at some point. If Anarumo is committed to a hybrid 4-3/3-4 one big thing (literally) missing is a NT in a 3-4 look. I don't know that Billings (who is a free agent) or Tupou quite fit that mold. i'd also like to find an heir apparent to Geno at the other DT spot.

    1 - Not kidding....I don't think 4 1st round picks would be enough. Bengals would want additional picks AND players.

    2-Happy to see Turner hit it off with Steele and others, but depending on which prospects slip I think it will be hard to pull the trigger on Oline at #33.

    3-Good prospect but he's not even the best LB on his team.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    1 - Not kidding....I don't think 4 1st round picks would be enough. Bengals would want additional picks AND players.

    2-Happy to see Turner hit it off with Steele and others, but depending on which prospects slip I think it will be hard to pull the trigger on Oline at #33.

    3-Good prospect but he's not even the best LB on his team.
    I think pick #2 will be a defensive playmaker - anywhere on D. That said, if it's not LB, I could see a CB there. Dennard may not be re-signed, Dre is getting older and they may let him go. WJ3 coming of a "meh" year. Webb was terrible. Hopefully Phillps has something, but the cupboard is pretty bare.

    On Cam Brown, yes... not the best LB on Penn State - but that's a bit misleading because the guy who is (Micah Parsons) might be the best returning defensive player in the country next fall. Uber-talented, versatile player.

    I could actually see the Bengals either move up from #33 into the first round to get another potential 5 year rookie deal player... or (more likely, given what they've done in the past) - trading out of that pick and moving down to accumulate more picks, or better positioning in a later round(s).

  5. #5
    My initial 3-round mock:

    1. Joe Burrow, QB LSU

    2. Jeff Gladney, CB TCU

    3. Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming (note - have only seen in Sr. Bowl practices but very impressive).

  6. #6
    Wasn't trying to mislead. Just pointing out how Brown plays along side of one of the most dynamic playmakers in college football. I think the mostly solid and steady Brown benefits from the attention teams direct towards Parsons.

    FWIW I watched Parsons play against Memphis in the recent bowl. Hands down the best and most dominate performance by any LB I've seen in years.

  7. #7
    Just did a 7-round mock on TDN's engine using their predictive picks setting with me pulling the trigger for the Bengals and I ended up choosing the following:

    Round 1 - Burrow
    Round 2 - Mekhi Becton, OT - L'ville
    Round 3 - Josh Uche, Edge - Michigan
    Round 4 - Ben Bartch, OT - that Div III school
    Round 5 - Michael Pittman Jr., WR - USC
    Round 6 - Adam Trautman, TE - Dayton
    Round 7- Stanford Samuels III, CB, Florida State

    If the draft broke out like that in April I would be beyond ecstatic, I think...

  8. #8
    By the way, if you want to play around with your own - The Draft Network mock draft engine is quick and easy - don't have to be a member to do it unless you want to use the trade function.

    https://thedraftnetwork.com/

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Just did a 7-round mock on TDN's engine using their predictive picks setting with me pulling the trigger for the Bengals and I ended up choosing the following:

    Round 1 - Burrow
    Round 2 - Mekhi Becton, OT - L'ville
    Round 3 - Josh Uche, Edge - Michigan
    Round 4 - Ben Bartch, OT - that Div III school
    Round 5 - Michael Pittman Jr., WR - USC
    Round 6 - Adam Trautman, TE - Dayton
    Round 7- Stanford Samuels III, CB, Florida State

    If the draft broke out like that in April I would be beyond ecstatic, I think...
    Draft weenies are saying that Trautman is likely a day 2 guy. Who knows.

    Pittman is an interesting player. He's a big guy and he's a heckuva special teams player, too.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Wasn't trying to mislead. Just pointing out how Brown plays along side of one of the most dynamic playmakers in college football. I think the mostly solid and steady Brown benefits from the attention teams direct towards Parsons.

    FWIW I watched Parsons play against Memphis in the recent bowl. Hands down the best and most dominate performance by any LB I've seen in years.
    No doubt. Brown is physically talented, and versatile. Interestingly, I did hear Lap mention at the Sr. Bowl that he thinks he plays (pad level) too high.

    I saw several Penn State games this year - Parsons flashes but he wasn't the most consistent guy. The talent is obvious - and yes, his Memphis State game was tremendous - the best I've seen him play by far. He was a game-wrecker.

    James Franklin has really done a good job with that program. He's an excellent recruiter. They've really upgraded their talent over the last 5 years or so.
    They've got a few DL that will get drafted - Gross-Matos (no later than day 2 - some say day 1) and Windsor, who I think is an underrated guy. And on offense, KJ Hamler is a really exciting player who can return and play WR. He's very small so we'll see where he ends up.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •