Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Most Overrated Player in the History of Each NFL Franchise

The Most Overrated Player in the History of Each NFL Franchise

Cincinnati Bengals: T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images Cincinnati’s receiving corps was the talk of the town during the team’s run in the mid 2000’s. Led by the enigmatic Chad ‘Ochocinco’ Johnson, the Bengals featured a highly-potent offensive attack that could score points at will. Houshmandzadeh was the second option for QB Carson Palmer, and his quiet demeanor, steady play, and unique name endeared him to NFL fans. However, he wasn’t quite as good as many would suggest. The 6-foot-1 wide-out was one of the slower players at this position in all of football, and it showed when teams weren’t completely keyed in on Johnson. By the end of his career, Houshmandzadeh compiled just one season of 100+ receptions and two years of 1,000+ receiving yards.

https://newarena.com/nfl/the-most-ov..._nar_e_vat_psh

Tj was never highly rated enough to be overrated imo.

i would have guessed this would be Ickey Woods who Is more famous for the dance then his playing. Wasn’t he a bit of a one-year wonder?

I mean, he blew out his ACL, so not sure what he could have been.

Interesting side question, then. Who’s your most overrated Bengal of all time?

Seattle clearly overrated Housh but I don't think too many others did. A big part of his popularity was the commercials making jokes with his name.

6. Every time he was targeted and did not make a catch for any reason Housh would throw a hissy fit temper tantrum ... nodmy fauut. Always complains about a push or pass interference or some reason or excuse other than him simply not making the catch. Stuff got old. Just go back to the huddle and catch the next one. Whizzing off the refs by whining isn't going to help your case.

Most overrated? I guess a case could be made for it being Andy Dalton. Never good enough to win the big one when it counted. If we were drafting in our usual meh position in the lower half or third of the draft, don't think we would be looking for a quarterback there. Maybe Herbert as a reach but he will be overthrowing open guys with his cannon arm or standing there trying to figure out what is going on until he is planted and knocked out of football early in his short career.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Carson Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Cris Collinsworth

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Carson Palmer.
    That was where I was leaning today. A good quarterback, but too flawed for the accolades he gets. You’d think he was destined to crush every record in the books.

Akili Smith. He was actually worse than people thought.

Re: Carson - 2005 could have changed everything. I thought he was super-talented but after that injury he wasn't the same mobility-wise. Still a helluva QB. Personally, I wouldn't say he was overrated. At his best, I think he was a top 4-5 QB.

Ickey was a good back and larger than life character... injuries derailed him so I guess you could say his impact on the field was overrated.

I'd throw Archie Griffin in there. He never did much... came into the league much-ballyhooed as a 2-time Heisman winner, but was never much of a threat in the NFL.