Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get out the Pitchforks - - McDaniels should be fired after the season

The league existed for decades with varying degrees of severity in penalties. Incidental face mask was a five yarder, and there used to be a time when incidental pass interference calls were usually termed "illegal contact" with the result being a 10 yard penalty and automatic first down.

The facemask 5 and 15 yard rule was terrible. In a split second determine if the facemask was pulled enough to warrant a 15-yrd penalty.

Blog Entries
    Seems like a Lane Kiffin situation
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    The league existed for decades with varying degrees of severity in penalties. Incidental face mask was a five yarder, and there used to be a time when incidental pass interference calls were usually termed "illegal contact" with the result being a 10 yard penalty and automatic first down.
    I completely forgot about the illegal contact rule. When did the league get rid of it? 80's?
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealJosh View Post
    The facemask 5 and 15 yard rule was terrible. In a split second determine if the facemask was pulled enough to warrant a 15-yrd penalty.
    You're right. It seems to me that you see a lot less facemask penalties than you used to.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    I completely forgot about the illegal contact rule. When did the league get rid of it? 80's?
    Think it might have been more recent than that.

This rule change, even more than outlawing any contact outside 5 yards, has done more to punish defenders than any other. Cris can explain the vagaries of these rules, but as I recall, PI was only called when the receiver was more or less tackled, or his arms were held as the pass approached.

John Clayton addressed the pass interference issue on his show. It was not possible to complete passes before pass interference rules went into effect. The games were better when they enforced a 5 yard bump zone, which is now gone. The arm bar is devastatingly effective against a receiver and should be penalized.