Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus impact; draft changed

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    Goodell sent out a memo saying draft is still in for April 24.

Do we have any concerns that the Bengals never got a chance to work out joe burrow, attend his pro day, see him throw in person, or anything? Sure they got a 15 min combine interview and maybe they’ll be allowed to do video interviews in the coming weeks but that’s it. They won’t get nearly as much time with him in person as they normally would have.

On the flip side they got to spend a whole week coaching Herbert.

I doubt it changes anything, but it just makes me a little nervous that we’ll do something stupid and take Herbert at 1. The only thing worse than passing on burrow for Herbert would be taking Herbert 1 and not even getting the trade benefits of trading down.

Still think it’s 90 percent that they take burrow I just don’t know if this virus messes things up at all.
    No. You can’t have read Hobson, listened to Lapham, or heard ANY of the coaches or Tobin interviews since January and think there is even a tiny chance they are passing on Burrow. It’s burrow.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    No. You can’t have read Hobson, listened to Lapham, or heard ANY of the coaches or Tobin interviews since January and think there is even a tiny chance they are passing on Burrow. It’s burrow.
    Fair enough. Just kinda crazy the way things happened this year that they will have spent only a few minutes in person with the first overall pick.

Fair enough. Just kinda crazy the way things happened this year that they will have spent only a few minutes in person with the first overall pick.
    There is a bengals coach on staff who was on LSU’s staff for Burrow’s junior year. There are the Nebraska connections to burrow’s dad and ZT, etc, do you really think they’ve only got 15 minutes of contact with him at the combine to fall back on?

I’m sure they’ve had multiple phone and video conferences with him at this point.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 03-27-2020 at 07:57 AM.

There is a bengals coach on staff who was on LSU’s staff for Burrow’s junior year. There are the Nebraska connections to burrow’s dad and ZT, etc, do you really think they’ve only got 15 minutes of contact with him at the combine to fall back on?
    As 1181 I’m sure they’ve talked over the phone and stuff like that. But March and April are when things would have really geared up and would have had him in for a full day visit, would have gone to his pro day, etc.

I don’t think zac Taylor or some of our other coaches and staff have seen him throw a pass in person outside of maybe the scouts at his college games.

Once again I don’t think that will really change anything but I doubt there has ever been a time where a team has drafted a QB in the first round and their HC and GM and what not hadn’t seen the guy actually throw in person up close.

You can worry about it if you want, but...hard pass from me.

Even if it were only 15 minutes it still wouldn't matter. The tapes, the results, the character and moxy displayed. it's a no-brainer.

The only thing that is still hard to understand is how he Bengals got so frigging lucky.

Goodell sent out a memo saying draft is still in for April 24.

Do we have any concerns that the Bengals never got a chance to work out joe burrow, attend his pro day, see him throw in person, or anything? Sure they got a 15 min combine interview and maybe they’ll be allowed to do video interviews in the coming weeks but that’s it. They won’t get nearly as much time with him in person as they normally would have.

On the flip side they got to spend a whole week coaching Herbert.

I doubt it changes anything, but it just makes me a little nervous that we’ll do something stupid and take Herbert at 1. The only thing worse than passing on burrow for Herbert would be taking Herbert 1 and not even getting the trade benefits of trading down.

Still think it’s 90 percent that they take burrow I just don’t know if this virus messes things up at all.

Keep in mind that they also spent a week watching Herbert’s bad qualities too, not just the good.

Also, if they were going to take Herbert, they’d trade down for him.

And if they were going to trade down and get a bounty of picks, they wouldn’t have gone out and signed 8 free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Also, if they were going to take Herbert, they’d trade down for him.

And if they were going to trade down and get a bounty of picks, they wouldn’t have gone out and signed 8 free agents.
    Nods.