Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Forum - Other Leagues

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Strong selling point.
    Does that mean you do or don't like good defensive games? Please feel free to use the [sarcasm] brackets

Seriously?
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Believe it or not, also in Italy we play football.
    Did anyone read the John Grisham novel (The Professional) about a former NFl player going to play football for the Parma Panthers?
    Well, this team really exists, and they're the last italian football league champions.
    I also played football for about a dozen years for the Turin Giaguari (Jaguars in english) and for anyone interested here is the official IFL site link: www.fidaf.org
    Unfortunately there's not an English version, but if you check "campionati" link in upper right side of the main page you'll find scores, schedules, standing and stats of the three leagues that form the IFL.
    The league is structured in three leagues (from the best one to the developmental one): the IFL is the first league, ten teams with three american players each.
    LENAF is the second one, no american players.
    CIF9 is the third one, a league played 9 vs 9 (basically normal team formations, without tackles) born to give the opportunity to learn the game to those ones that are young and/or are just beginning to play football.
    Some teams hasve also former NFL players, like the Milano Seamen, that have on roster Tom Korte, a former Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker.
    Other than the americans no one is paid to play, so it's not a professional league, but the level of playing is not too bad.
    Bye!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dario View Post
    Believe it or not, also in Italy we play football.
    Good post, Dario. If the lockout continues we may be wishing we could get the Italian leagues on sattelite.
    You reminded me of a few years ago when visiting the HoF, I was looking at a small corner exhibit on American football teams in Mexico when a Latino gentleman struck up a conversation on the subject. He was a journalist from Mexico who was visiting the Hall, and he told me more about the game in Mexico, the players and how it is rising in popularity. He was very passionate about the game, just like we are, and I found it gratifying that people from other places and cultures appreciate America's version of the ultimate team sport.

Thanks, bluestree...
    However i don't believe you'll watch Italian leagues, since the games aren't broadcast neither here...
    I fell in love with football the very first time i watched a game, back in 1989.
    I confess that it wasn't very simple to understand, 'cause the rules are not immediatly comprehensive.... But if you have time and really know the game, it's impossible to not love it. "The ultimate team sport" is a great description of what football is. I really agree with you.
    I think this is the very problem for football to become more and more popular in Europe. People simply don't want to spend much time to understand the game. Year by year i tried to involve my buddies inviting them to attend my games, but they didn't like it. Every time i asked them if they enjoied the game, the prototype of the answer was: "Mhhh, i couldn't understand when you or your opponent scored.... Why the game is always stopped?..... The only thing i understood is that you've taken a ton of blows...." This is what normally thinks a soccer fan....
    See ya again in the forum. Bye!

Dario - I was in Cortina in 2009 and I spent time with an Italian guy who is a huge hockey fan. Since I'm from canada, he just bombarded me with questions. He told me that in Italy, hockey is like a "cult" sport - just a small group of really passionate fans. Sounds like football over there, or for that matter, rugby in Canada.

Pruitt, what the italian guy told you is the truth. Over here hockey is very similar to football speaking of popularity....
    I don't know the exact situation for hockey, but speaking of football, to give you an idea, i can show some numbers.
    The entire movement include less than 2.500 athletes in the entire country (ca. 2.000.000 for soccer, from pee wee to professionals), and we arrive at no more than 10.000 including fans and people surrounding the teams with various duties.
    Speaking of attendance, we're very fortunate when about 1.000 people come to watch the games, and i'm speaking of the IFL (the first league).
    sometimes you can count people with your hands' finger...
    It's a strange situation when you're considered very fortunate to have near you the best soccer teams (point of view of foreign soccer fans), but if you're a football fanatic, you can't consider yourself so lucky.... Thanks to internet, now i can find news every day, i can discuss with other fans like i do here, i can watch every game live, i have NFL network 24/7, but in the past, when there wasn't internet, it was very hard.
    I had to search those few newsstands in which i could find USA Today to hear some news, i had to listen to the radio (MW, with a boring noise around, transmissions sent for U.S. Army here in Europe)for live games, since the only TV show regarding the NFL was a weekly magazine (on Wednesday!) where you could watch game highlights and nothing more....
    Very frustrating..... But passion is passion, and people like me fought hard to maintain interest, and now we fell less far than in the past...
    P.s.: I've uploaded some pictures about me playing football on a public album in my profile. If you want, you can watch them so you can have an idea of stadiums (!), fields and attendance for a medium football game here in Italy.
    Last edited by dario; 05-19-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dario View Post
    I've uploaded some pictures about me playing football on a public album in my profile. If you want, you can watch them so you can have an idea of stadiums (!), fields and attendance for a medium football game here in Italy.
    I looked at the pictures - how many touchdowns did you score against the team in red and black? You looked like you were open on every play!

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    I looked at the pictures - how many touchdowns did you score against the team in red and black? You looked like you were open on every play!
    That game was Turin Warriors (my team, the second one in which i played after Giaguari) vs. Genova Bucs. It was 2002, and if i'm not wrong the final score was 40-0.. I scored four tds in that game, 2 by reception, one by run and one by kickoff return. I usually played wide receiver, but we had some end-around plays in the playbook, so i also carried the ball about 4 to 5 times a game.
    In addition, i also returned punts and kickoffs....

Just to do know...
    Just finished the regular season here in Italy, and speaking of the IFL (major league) this is the final standing (9 games each, one time vs every opponent):

Bologna Warriors 9-0
    Parma Panthers 7-2
    Catania Elephants 6-3
    Reggio Emilia Hogs 5-4
    Ancona Dolphins 5-4
    Milano Rhinos 5-4
    Bolzano Giants 3-6
    Milano Seamen 3-6
    Roma Marines 2-7
    Bologna Doves 0-9

Four teams to the playoffs, due to tie breaker procedure Reggio Emilia was ahead of Milano and Ancona.
    Reggio Emilia Hogs @ Bologna Warriors
    Catania Elephants @ Parma Panthers

Parma, reigning champions, was able to make it to the playoffs again, but this year they will underdog in the Italian Superbowl (if they'll reach it. In fact Catania was able to win on the road at Parma during the regualer season), since the Bologna Warriors are searching their "perfect season" and will be highly favored vs Reggio Emilia in the semi-finals.
    Semi-finals are scheduled in the June 18-19 weekend, while the Italian Superbowl will be played on July, 9th.
    I'll give you all the updates.

P.s. Rocky Pentello, QB for the Ancona Dolphins (Capital University, Columbus, Ohio, brief appereance in the Cleveland Browns practice squad) broke all the passing records for the league. This were his numbers (9 games played):
    Att. 386
    Completes: 246
    Pct.: 63,7%
    Yards: 3414
    TDs: 58 (!)
    Ints: 5
    Yds per game: 379.3
    All numbers, except fot ints and comp. percentage are italian league records. Congrats!