Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Prospects 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I wouldn’t spend a high pick on a WR unless they had a lights out free agency.

Part of this teams’ issue was throwing #1 pick after #1 pick at cornerback, ignoring adding talent at other spots.

They need more at WR, but they don’t need it in The first or second round. It can partially be fixed in free agency with continued speed added in the draft.
    My ideal offseason would be something like: resigning WJ3, extending Bates, getting rid of Dunlap (if not before then), prob letting green walk unless he takes a major hometown discount in line with being a 3rd WR, and maybe letting Geno go unless they really have a plan to make him a key cog still in this D. I’d also cut bobby hart (to save money towards signing a better RT). I’d sign 1 solid starting OG and 1 solid starting RT. That would give you 4 legit starting OL and hopefully Jordan or Xavier or Redmond or someone would step up as the 5th. Could also draft a guard in the 3rd or 4th to compete. Resign Lawson only if price is right.

Draft a DE around pick 8-10.

I don’t think any of the above is unreasonable. That’s only asking for 2 starting outside players signed in FA. Comparatively this year we signed what like 5 or 6?

If we did all that I’d still prob consider DT or OG in the 2nd round but if a WR is BPA in the second and we fixed the Ol in free agency and drafted a top 10ish pass rusher in the first round, then I’d have no problem going WR in the 2nd.

Keep in mind if these guys aren’t on the roster next season that’s 60M from this years cap that wouldn’t be on the books:

AJ, Dunlap, Geno, Ross, Hart, Shawn Williams.

Even if they keep Geno it’s still 46M.

45-60M in cap space is enough to sign a couple quality OL and potentially a quality DL.

I’m not saying we have to go WR early but if jaylen waddle or someone of that caliber is there early in round 2 that could be the final piece to make this O elite next year (if they sign 2 solid OL free agents).

Also keep in mind the Cap is going down next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    That’s making an assumption they don’t make some solid free agency moves. If hypothetically they went out and signed a solid RT and OG in free agency and then drafted a top pass rusher in the first round that you wouldn’t be okay drafting a deep threat WR in round 2?
    1. I really think they revert to their former ways in free agency next year.
    2. Good O-linemen usually don't hit free agency unless they want bigger money than their team wants to pay them, and I don't see us signing those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    1. I really think they revert to their former ways in free agency next year.
    2. Good O-linemen usually don't hit free agency unless they want bigger money than their team wants to pay them, and I don't see us signing those guys.

I expect somewhere in the middle.

I also think they sign Quinton Spain tomorrow and he’ll stick around after this year.

Also keep in mind the Cap is going down next year.
    I believe they said it should be going down to around 175M (from 200M). Right now we have 151 committed to 2021 salaries and if we move on from all the guys I mentioned above it drops it all the way down to around 115M leaving about 60M in cap space even with the lower cap.

I don’t expect them to go out and sign 5-6 starters. But I do hope they look at their situation and realize burrow has been really good in spite of an OL that leads the league in sacks allowed and pressures. If they add two B caliber solid starting OL for like 10M a year each type guys, this O could really be set up to take the next step. Protecting joe burrow should be the primary focus. Making sure he has the weapons should be secondary. The D should be third (although not ignored).

The D should be third (although not ignored).

The D is always third.

We're Cincinnati.

We throw the ball around the yard...and not much else.

I believe they said it should be going down to around 175M (from 200M). Right now we have 151 committed to 2021 salaries and if we move on from all the guys I mentioned above it drops it all the way down to around 115M leaving about 60M in cap space even with the lower cap.

I don’t expect them to go out and sign 5-6 starters. But I do hope they look at their situation and realize burrow has been really good in spite of an OL that leads the league in sacks allowed and pressures. If they add two B caliber solid starting OL for like 10M a year each type guys, this O could really be set up to take the next step. Protecting joe burrow should be the primary focus. Making sure he has the weapons should be secondary. The D should be third (although not ignored).

I'd flip DL and weapons since he'll go into next year with at least Higgins, Boyd, Thomas (easily resignable), Bernard, Sample, Uzomah, Mixon and Tate. Add a speed guy in the third or fourth round.

And while I'd say protecting Burrow is the #1 focus, DL is a bigger need right now.

I'd flip DL and weapons since he'll go into next year with at least Higgins, Boyd, Thomas (easily resignable), Bernard, Sample, Uzomah, Mixon and Tate. Add a speed guy in the third or fourth round.

And while I'd say protecting Burrow is the #1 focus, DL is a bigger need right now.
    I think it’s gonna be a lot harder to sign a FA pass rusher then it will be to sign 2 solid free agent OL. I don’t think we need absolute studs on the Ol just a couple solid dependable guys.

I really hope they upgrade the OL in free agency so that we can use our first rounder on the best pass rusher available.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    The D is always third.

We're Cincinnati.

We throw the ball around the yard...and not much else.
    For the record even though I said the D is the third most important thing, I still think if the bengals do things the right way this offseason that DL/pass rush should be the number 1 priority in the first round of the draft.