Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bills claim Merriman?

1. Talking Bills claim Merriman?

There are reports that the Bills are claiming Merriman off waivers... I'm thinking this would be a great addition, provided he reports to the team.... may be a good replacement for Aaron "1st round bust" Maybin... What do you guys think?

Well, he couldn't hurt that defense.

I guess the Bills haven't had a low-character guy in the clubhouse in about a month now.

As for replacing Maybin, Tila Tequila could do that.

Merriman hasn't been healthy in forever, so he really is a better fit with last year's team.

Tila Tequila brings up an interesting point. Jauron got rid of Jim Leonhard because he was too short, then brought in Maybin because...? Maybe he hopped a little when they measured him at his pro day. Perhaps it was a fast scale.

I think Merriman could end up being a real value if he can stay health and gets franchised(he isnt gonna stay in buffalo if he can help it). However I doubt he will be healthy so eh at least it shows the Bills are willing to do something.

For Merriman it's a chance to prove that he is still relevant as an NFLer. Get himself a new contract for next year (but not in Buffalo(.

For the Bills, it's an attempt to get over the hump to get that elusive first win.

Heard a funny sound bite on Buffalo radio yesterday. Aaron Maybin was excited that Merriman was coming to the team so he could help them win a few games. Just the name "Aaron Maybin" is starting to make me laugh.

But sadly, I have a feeling that the name "C.J. Spiller" will do the same in a couple of years.

I think Spiller will be fine the nfl if the oline can adapt to his style of running. He isn't a between the tackles back he needs linemen that can get around and set an edge as well as recievers who can set a block. More carries in a pro offense wouldn't hurt either. Of course its hard to consistently run when your behind. I thought the plan originally was to get him 15-20 touches a game and that's just hasn't happened. Now if that's his fault or not is yet to be seen im willing to give rookies the benefit of the doubt.

You've got a point, but it doesn't speak well of the team that they seem to have forgotten about Spiller.

No, it doesn't speak well of the team at all but I didn't expect much of spiller this year anyways. I think he got overexposed in the preseason when Lynch and Jackson got hurt and people forgot he was essentially the 3rd back going in to the year. I think next year if the team can get a consistent pass offense so the team isn't behind and the d can't crowd the box he will have some opportunities and some room to run. Unfortunanetly at this time this team isn't really set for the kind of player Spiller is.

Even if merriman comes in and has 10 sacks in his possible 8 games as a bill would managment be willing to franchise him and pay the at minimum 10 million to keep him(last years franchise number for a olb was 9.6 to 9.8 million).

Spiller doesn't get the touches because he can't do it all. See Reggie Bush.

He needs a much better line to be effective - where Jackson can get four yards between the tackles even after he's hit behind the line, Spiller seems mostly to try to slide outside after the edge contain has had time to get an angle on him. Plus he's not s good at the blocking at this point.