Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Salary Cap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    LaCanfora claims he's hearing buzz about the near certainty Bengals will tag Carl Lawson.

Hope he's wrong....like he usually is.

he usually is.

that said, I could see it if they can’t come to terms. Then you load up on DE’s in a deep draft so that you have potential replacements ready in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    he usually is.

that said, I could see it if they can’t come to terms. Then you load up on DE’s in a deep draft so that you have potential replacements ready in 2022.
    I know we traditionally haven’t done a good job extending guys we franchise, but if we tagged Lawson I think it could play into an extension if we were smart about it.

A one year tag would be 14M. He’s had some injuries in his career and hasn’t had a huge sack season yet. He could ride out a one year deal hoping to build on his solid 2020 and get paid next season.

Or what if the bengals offered like 4 years 44M with 20 mil guaranteed.

Structure it like 4M base guaranteed for 2021 and then 16M signing bonus. He’d get 20M in his first year including 16M at signing which would be 6M more than he’d get paid in 2021 on the franchise tag.

His 2021 cap hit would only be 8M so we’d be saving about 6M vs if he stayed on the tag

Could do annual base salaries of like 4-6-8-10 or something like that. Maybe do roster bonus or something as well.

Would Lawson be willing to say no to 20M guaranteed money in 2021 plus some stability? For the bengals it would only be cap hits of around 8 first year, 10 second year, 12 third year and 14 fourth year but they could cut him before the 4th for a 4M in dead cap if he wasn’t good anymore.

Seems like a win win to me. He could maybe get more on the open market but tagging him first might make him have to settle for this type of deal unless he really wants to make a 1 year bet on himself.

If they can't come to terms now, after months of negotiating, the need to make a clean break of it.

Paying Carl Lawson 14.53m for the chance to keep talking will prove to just as dumb as the decision to overpay AJ Green turned out to be.

If they can't come to terms now, after months of negotiating, the need to make a clean break of it.

Paying Carl Lawson 14.53m for the chance to keep talking will prove to just as dumb as the decision to overpay AJ Green turned out to be.

I wouldn’t do it just to get more time at the negotiating table. I would be doing it to get another year of great play from him while I groom his replacements.

Schefter

NFL informed teams today the salary cap this season will be a minimum of $180 million.

I think there is a big difference negotiating with someone that could be free to negotiate with 31 other teams in a few weeks vs someone that can only negotiate with you and can’t negotiate with other teams for another year.

We would certainly have a bit more leverage by doing so.

I disagree with 1181 though on purpose of tagging him. I’d we are tagging him without the intention of trying to get him long term then I’d pass. I think every big money decision we make this offseason should be geared towards something that can help us in 2022 and 2023 when I feel like our window really should be opening. If the idea isn’t to extend Lawson once we tag him, save that 14M and put it towards a DE or OT or someone that you can lock up to a 3-4 year deal that we can get production out of both in 2021 but also in 2022 and 2023 when I think our window should be prime

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    I think there is a big difference negotiating with someone that could be free to negotiate with 31 other teams in a few weeks vs someone that can only negotiate with you and can’t negotiate with other teams for another year.

We would certainly have a bit more leverage by doing so.

I disagree with 1181 though on purpose of tagging him. I’d we are tagging him without the intention of trying to get him long term then I’d pass. I think every big money decision we make this offseason should be geared towards something that can help us in 2022 and 2023 when I feel like our window really should be opening. If the idea isn’t to extend Lawson once we tag him, save that 14M and put it towards a DE or OT or someone that you can lock up to a 3-4 year deal that we can get production out of both in 2021 but also in 2022 and 2023 when I think our window should be prime

I didn’t say we should take him with no intention of signing in. The tag obviously gives you another year to negotiate, but you can also draft his replacements this year as a fallback plan

I wouldn’t do it just to get more time at the negotiating table. I would be doing it to get another year of great play from him while I groom his replacements.
    Take the money you'd be overpaying Lawson and use it elsewhere or to sign his replacement now.

Curious. How much do you think Lawson is worth?

My guess is it's nowhere near 14.5 million.

Take the money you'd be overpaying Lawson and use it elsewhere or to sign his replacement now.

I wouldn’t hesitate to give him 10/11 per.

If we offered 4 years 44M with 20M guaranteed with a 16M signing bonus now he might not accept because he might think he can get more on the open market.

If we tag him then offered it, is he going to turn down that deal and that amount of upfront money is he going to turn it down and risk playing on a 1 year deal?

If they offered 4 for 44 with a 16M signing bonus and 4M guaranteed base salary they can structure it so his cap hits are around 8-10-12-14M for 4 years. With an out after 3 years with only 4M in dead cap if they don’t want to have a 14M cap hit in 2024.

I don’t know about you but I’d definitely take him for an 8M cap hit in 2021.

Now is it guaranteed he’d accept that deal if we tag him? Prob not. But I just don’t know if Lawson is really going to want to risk a 1 year deal when he could get set for life on 20M in new money this year with 16 at signing. 6M more than he’d get playing on the cap and have more stability.

Even if they had to up to like 4 year 50m they can still structure it in a way where his 2021 cap hit is only 8-9M and have outs in case he doesn’t pan out as expected.

I just don’t want to let a good starter that is just starting to entire his prime and has potentially to be very good just walk for nothing. That’s not how you build good teams.

I’d rather overpay for our own than a free agent. Free agents are almost always overpaid.

I haven’t given much thought to what he’s worth. It’s surely less than the tag but probably not far off. I’d pay a little extra for a guy who already fits and knows the system.