Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Official Bengals Coaching Staff Shakeup; DL coach named

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I like all that. Reader should be happy.
    Once again, not that we ONLY have to target free agents we have connections to, but are there any free agent DL out there that have connections to him either through Clemson, Jax, or Miami?

I don’t expect us to spend big on the DL in free agency if we bring Lawson back but if we could bring in a complimentary edge rusher or DT that would be helpful.

I genuinely don’t know the answer to that.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I genuinely don’t know the answer to that.
    Yannick Ngakou had his best two sack seasons while with Jax under Hobby. I highly doubt we’d go after one of the top tier pass rushers but never know I guess. The bengals might view DL to be equally as important to upgrading as the OL is.

Couple other guys could be possibilities....

Malik Jackson to replace Geno? He’s not a FA but could be a cap casualty for the Eagles who I think are in very bad cap space.

Marcell dareus another DT. He didn’t play in 2020. Not sure if he’s retired or still capable at all. He’s 30 years old. Would prob be more of a backup to Reader.

Dante Fowler could be a post June 1st cut for the Falcons if they decided to cut their losses. Not a guy I’d pay big money to but he played both under Hobby and also played with the rams and Taylor in 2018.

Taco Charlton played for Miami in 2019. Would mostly be a flyer on a first round guy that never panned out. Still only 26 and would be pretty cheap id assume. He did have his best season under hobby with 5 sacks in 2019. If DL isn’t a huge FA priority and they’d rather spend the money on the Ol I could see them taking a flyer on taco as a backup to Hubbard and Lawson.

Take it for what it’s worth but I have a friend that is a huge Dolphins fan. Asked him why Hobby was let go and he thinks it had to do with Hobby pushing to draft Wilkins and brining in Lawson in free agency and neither lived up to expectations under him. He did say most of the Dolphins fans did think Hobby was a good coach though.
    Last edited by BigDawgBengal; 01-16-2021 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    Couple other guys could be possibilities....

Malik Jackson to replace Geno? He’s not a FA but could be a cap casualty for the Eagles who I think are in very bad cap space.

Marcell dareus another DT. He didn’t play in 2020. Not sure if he’s retired or still capable at all. He’s 30 years old. Would prob be more of a backup to Reader.

Dante Fowler could be a post June 1st cut for the Falcons if they decided to cut their losses. Not a guy I’d pay big money to but he played both under Hobby and also played with the rams and Taylor in 2018.

Taco Charlton played for Miami in 2019. Would mostly be a flyer on a first round guy that never panned out. Still only 26 and would be pretty cheap id assume. He did have his best season under hobby with 5 sacks in 2019. If DL isn’t a huge FA priority and they’d rather spend the money on the Ol I could see them taking a flyer on taco as a backup to Hubbard and Lawson.
    Taco is no bueno.

Fins have invested in their DL lately -Wilkins, Strowbridge, and Raekwon Davis. They have Shaq Lawson, who was from Clemson and was drafted in round 1 for Buffalo. He never produced much there. Most he had was 6.5 sacks. Had 4 last year for Miami... 2 of those were vs the Bengals (!).

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawgBengal View Post
    Take it for what it’s worth but I have a friend that is a huge Dolphins fan. Asked him why Hobby was let go and he thinks it had to do with Hobby pushing to draft Wilkins and brining in Lawson in free agency and neither lived up to expectations under him. He did say most of the Dolphins fans did think Hobby was a good coach though.
    Thanks. Interesting, though, Flores let Patrick Graham go the year before as DC. He went to the Giants this past fall and NYG fans and the press gave him high marks, for what that’s worth.

I know almost nothing about him but I like anyone who had anything to do with that Sacks-onville defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    Why did Miami let him walk?

I have absolutely no idea if this is true or credible, but I saw someone say that Hobby wants to be a DC and knew it wouldn’t happen under Flores so he left.

Could be completely made up, but it’s the only answer I’ve seen to the question.

Was with Pollack in Dallas

Pelissero

Former #Cowboys RB coach Gary Brown, who took last season off to address health concerns, is set to interview next week with the #Bengals, source said. Healthy again, Brown — a trusted mentor to Zeke Elliott and others — plans to coach in 2021 and could have multiple options.