Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Fox's Hot Seat

1. It all depends on the CBA. I think Jerry Richardson is holding off on spending any money until CBA talks heat up or a deal is done. That is why you've seen the Panthers get rid of a lot of veteran players and build through the draft, as well as let the younger players on their roster showcase their talents.

This all plays in to the John Fox situation. Why would JR have John Fox under contract when their might be a lockout next season? You see Marty Hurney still there because there will still be a draft and there will be roster moves.

Thus, I believe John Fox is on the hot seat, but I think there is a lot more to think about then Carolina's performance on the field, since Fox has been pretty damn good over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by mjd311 View Post
    It all depends on the CBA. I think Jerry Richardson is holding off on spending any money until CBA talks heat up or a deal is done. That is why you've seen the Panthers get rid of a lot of veteran players and build through the draft, as well as let the younger players on their roster showcase their talents.

This all plays in to the John Fox situation. Why would JR have John Fox under contract when their might be a lockout next season? You see Marty Hurney still there because there will still be a draft and there will be roster moves.

Thus, I believe John Fox is on the hot seat, but I think there is a lot more to think about then Carolina's performance on the field, since Fox has been pretty damn good over the years.
    The Panthers were in a similar situation as the Bears at the conclusion of last season. Why set yourself up to pay a new coach during a lockout year (2011)? Let the current coach fulfill his contract and see how 2010 goes. The difference is that the Panthers were in a player salary dump mode as well, while the Bears spent freely to try to save the coaches.

Matt Moore "the few times I saw him play" sure looked legit to me
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

I think this season is honestly going to do nothing more but raise the price tag for Fox because if he hits the open market, there are going to be teams that want him without a doubt. Fox for the last few years done nothing but rebound from a downturn year every year and I don't expect this year to be any different. Also Fox has shown a wiliness to actually shake up his staff when needed though I do agree it is a flaw of his to stick with certain players for long as shown by Delhomme and Stephen Davis. I'll be honest, Fox's Hot Seat along with Tom Coughlin are just ones while I can understand it slightly, I think will be a case of buyers remorse if they are allowed to walk. Those are two proven coaches who owners/fan bases are getting caught up in is the grass greener Debate.

5. Read an article by Steve Reed from Carolina Growl. He doesn't think Fox is coming back, regardless of what happens this season. In fact, if we overachieve and have a good season, then Fox will be a hot commodity for other teams.

"Ever since owner Jerry Richardson decided against giving Fox a long-term contract extension I’ve felt like this year would be his last here in Carolina. And, for what it’s worth, a long-time team employee recently told me there’s “a 100 percent chance” Fox will be gone. But the Panthers will get Fox’s best for sure. After all, if the team has a big season and makes a run in the playoffs – especially given how young they are – he can write his own check next year and could bolt for a bigger market. Teams can’t use the franchise tag on coaches."

http://www.carolinagrowl.com/index.p...tid=1:articles

Blog Entries
    I think Andy perhaps unwittingly put his finger on it. 14 wins over .500.That just doesn't get you jacked up. Never worse than 7-9. Again, less than stirring. At the five year point you might get by on that, but after eight years, who wouldn't want to see if the grass was greener?

Blog Entries
    It happened today and I'm surprised on a Holiday Eve too. John Fox will not be brought back as head coach next year according to ESPNNEWS. According to PFT, Fox & staff are officially out after the Season Finale on Sunday------ @ Atlanta. Ouch.

As of New Year's Eve 2010, Fox has a record of 78-73 with the Panthers and reached such heights as the Super Bowl in 2004. You could see that if Delhomme hadn't been released (and is now in Cleveland) this past offseason, that would've been Fox leaving instead.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

No surprises here. Fox has been coaching in lame duck mode (and attitude) all year. Hope all those ass't coaches expected this and are prepared. Sucks for families. Not as bad as military fams, but crappy nonetheless.

Blog Entries
    This also raises some questions---Who will be the next head coach in Carolina? I say the Panthers Need to go after Cowher no matter what is list looks like. He lives in North Carolina and should be pursued rigorously by the Carolina. Would a young gun hurt? Not at all. There could be a lot of benefit from getting a coordinator or assistant coach who has been consistent with their body of work and can handle the duties at the next level. Ron Rivera? Turk's Perry Fewell? Maybe Rob Ryan?

What will this do to Jimmy Clausen? You could say that since it was only one season with Fox that there won't be a lot of new things that he has to learn or change but will he be tutored properly? Can he grasp the system and be right for it with the next HC? Jimmy looks like he'll be a Good QB but I think he's gonna need some time to improve his mechanics because he has to be maturated at the NFL level and know what to do in Beasty games against teams like the surging Bucs and Falcons as it is in his own division.

Time will tell how these things will be panned out but the Panthers will have to make the right choice to show they can hang with the Best of the League consistently. The Bucs and Falcons appear to be on the start of something special and the Saints have already reached the brass ring.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

10. Question for all,
    John Fox has been in Carolina for 9 years, he is a defensive minded coach. Should Mr. Richardson hire an offensive minded coach, or does it matter?