Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Fox's Hot Seat

Blog Entries

Question John Fox's Hot Seat

The Carolina Panthers have enjoyed Good moments from John Fox during his tenure with the team. He's taken them deep in the playoffs at least twice, the Super Bowl once as it was the first time for the franchise and he helped to guide stars like Julius Peppers and Steve Smith.

Will John show that the team needs him River Deep and Mountain High in the final year of his contract? I predict that the Panthers will be similiar to the 2007 New York Giants. Start good, have a soft middle of the season and finish just good enough for the playoffs. This 2010 team will do good things but John's seat is on fire.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Fox is definitely on the hot seat, but I'm not completely sure why. In 8 seasons he's 14 games over .500 and his Panthers have never been worse than 7-9. Granted he's had a lot of very average teams, 3 years at 7-9 and 2 more at 8-8, but they've never been awful during his tenure. What's the feeling among the Panthers' fans, do they want him gone?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for responding Andy! I think that Panthers fans like John Fox but like any NFL team that falls in the playoffs or misses them, the team has to hold everyone accountable to get over the hump after the same story every year. I think John Fox is like Mike Shanahan in the limited way that his team was competitive but not good enough to keep everyone around. I like John but I think owners will see if they can get promising results from him or try their hand at finally getting Bill Cowher back to coaching--Cowher, as I understand it, is a resident in those parts and had his few years of break to recharge.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    I have no problem with John Fox, nor do I have a problem with Jack Del Rio...actually like Del Rio a lot. I think it may just be one of those "overstayed welcome/change of scenery" seasons. I expect both coaches to be let go by the time the 2011 season starts...is it warranted, not so much, but it seems like the times are changing in the NFL, and these aren't the Steelers, Bears, or Broncos....these are two relatively young franchises, so it will be interesting, but I expect Del Rio to be let go at the end of the year, and Fox to be let go mid season if his team underperforms.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Fox - in my mind - is just like Jeff Fisher, a very good coach that a ton of teams would be ecstatic to grab if he became available and one that if left alone will consistently deliver good teams. While there is some credence to the "change of scenery" concept, i'd much rather see the Panthers go for more of a long-term approach. Jerry Richardson wants to win and wants to win now, but I don't think 100% of the blame can be laid of Fox. When I look around the league at a lot of Head Coaching situations i'm extremely glad that we have Fox on our side!

That isn't to say Fox doesn't have his drawbacks. He is in some ways too old-school and we definitely need to string some winning season together. He can be too conservative and he can stick with veterans way too long out of loyalty and comfort. I believe that the youth movement the Panthers are going through right now is ideally suited to Fox's abilities and I think this team will be surprising this year. By midseason I expect us to gel and headed into the playoffs I could see a 2003 type run where we're underdogs in every game but the last team people want to play. My biggest concern is that there are bad feelings about no extended contract and he wants to test the waters of coaching free agency during the offseason. I hope that Richardson's desire to show the league fiscal responsibility in the face of a potential lockout doesn't cost our team a very good coach and we end up with George Seifert 2.0 next year.

And for what it's worth, i'd be shocked if Cowher ever coached in Carolina. His reputation is overblown and the way he left the Steelers wasn't exactly on happy terms if I remember and the Richardsons are extremely close to the Rooneys, so I just don't see Cowher being an option.

What about Hurney?

One guy who should be in a hotter seat than Fox is GM Marty Hurney. Signing Delhomme to that massive extension after he gagged in one of the worst playoff performances in NFL history was incomprehensible. Then on top of that, Thomas Davis injures his knee (again) in OTAs, is allowed to sign a $3.268M tender offer, BEFORE ANYONE CHECKS THE INJURY OUT!!! He could have taken that money and lit it on fire in the parking lot at BOA stadium and gotten more use of it. At least then he could have roasted some marshmallows and made S'mores.

I'm not sure how it works for vets, but I know that when rookies participate in OTAs without a contract the team agrees that if they get hurt the team will sign them to a contract roughly equivalent to what they would have received if not injured. I'm not sure about the legalities/CBA consequences of pulling a tender from a player that got injured during OTAs. Does anyone else know more about this?

Fair enough. But there isn't anything in the world that could explain to me that Delhomme extension.

The Panthers got very unlucky last season, almost everything went wrong. Fox deserved to keep his job for this season, but unless the Panthers show some quick progress, I think he's done
    [URL="http://www.reservationforsix.com"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="red"]www.reservationforsix.com[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I'm not sure how it works for vets, but I know that when rookies participate in OTAs without a contract the team agrees that if they get hurt the team will sign them to a contract roughly equivalent to what they would have received if not injured. I'm not sure about the legalities/CBA consequences of pulling a tender from a player that got injured during OTAs. Does anyone else know more about this?
    I had no idea this was a legit thing. I'm interested in this.

I don't see how the panthers could make the playoffs, especially being in the NFC south. I'm not being biased here either. Just calling it like I see them. Who would drop down that made the playoffs last year that would allow the panthers to come in.
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]