Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the off-season ever be quiet at Charger Park?

Will the off-season ever be quiet at Charger Park?

This team will not win a superbowl when it goes through the off-seasons it has of late. Every year it's something. Brees or Rivers? LT or Turner? Cro and his twitter account. Merriman and his injuries, tila situation, contract, you name it. Now VJ and McNeil. When will the madness stop?

And when will my friends understand that I have no bearing on any of these situations so stop asking me what is going to happen. That part is a joke but still true.

As much as I hate to hear it, you are right on target. It would be nice to just once hear something positive in a Chargers off-season.

3. Marcus McNeil got so much attention early in his career, he is good, but not dominate. Vincent Jackson is a major weapon and would really be missed.

Phillip Rivers is a crazy man who loves to give his receivers a chance to make plays. When a receiver goes up over the DB and makes a catch, Rivers is in that DBs face talking smack. He calls it stealing their cheese or something like that. Hold on, I will check my notes. Ha, I forgot. He calls it "Eating Cornflakes." If Jackson goes up and makes a play over the DB he starts yelling that Jackson is eating the DBs Cornflakes. They of course have no idea what he is talking about, but they still get mad, and his teammates are cracking up. Rivers sounds a little like Boomer, a nut but fun to play for.

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    Is it just me or whenever yall go on a 2 game winning streak everyone on espn says it's the end of the world. That pressure has to get old fast. I never understood that.
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Cris Collinsworth View Post
    Marcus McNeil got so much attention early in his career, he is good, but not dominate. Vincent Jackson is a major weapon and would really be missed.

Gosh is it possible I do not agree with an actual NFL player/analyst/insider? McNeill came in day one and held his own. How long did he go without giving up a sack? I dont have notes to refer to but I am pretty sure he dominated for a while even with 2 broken hands. VJ is a big target who is starting to come into his own. Watching every Charger game there have been plenty of times I pull my hair out watching him not come down in bounds or throw a block downfield. Last year he seemed to fix most of that and would probably be missed greatly. Having Rivers makes me think it wouldnt be as bad. If guys like Brees and Manning can make household names out of guys like Gonzalez, Henderson and the such, I believe Rivers can make Floyd a dominant #1b with Gates as the #1a. Mathews and Sproles bring balance to the backfield but wont get going without McNiell.

McNeil certainly hasn't dominated like he did as a rook, but he's better than anything else available on an already thin line. AJ doesn't overpay for players so the situations with Vince and Marcus both wanting big money is going to get ugly. I absolutely love Phillip and his fiery attitude, I just hope the Chargers can keep him upright long enough to keep making big plays.

I still can't understand why the Chargers don't just pay to lock these guys up. They are proven performers and they are young.

Is it just me, or does it seem that the Chargers front office makes everything difficult? They did the same thing with Antonio Gates several years ago (and they ended up suspending him a game).

Quote Originally Posted by jeffwaytowich View Post
    I still can't understand why the Chargers don't just pay to lock these guys up. They are proven performers and they are young.

Is it just me, or does it seem that the Chargers front office makes everything difficult? They did the same thing with Antonio Gates several years ago (and they ended up suspending him a game).
    2 games actually. Which in turn they missed the playoffs by one game. They opened with Dallas and couldnt convert four tries goal to go. Wouldnt a TE help in that situation?

Quote Originally Posted by sabre View Post
    Gosh is it possible I do not agree with an actual NFL player/analyst/insider? McNeill came in day one and held his own. How long did he go without giving up a sack? I dont have notes to refer to but I am pretty sure he dominated for a while even with 2 broken hands. VJ is a big target who is starting to come into his own. Watching every Charger game there have been plenty of times I pull my hair out watching him not come down in bounds or throw a block downfield. Last year he seemed to fix most of that and would probably be missed greatly. Having Rivers makes me think it wouldnt be as bad. If guys like Brees and Manning can make household names out of guys like Gonzalez, Henderson and the such, I believe Rivers can make Floyd a dominant #1b with Gates as the #1a. Mathews and Sproles bring balance to the backfield but wont get going without McNiell.
    I have to agree with McNeill as being a more crucial holdout than VJ, without the protection he provides I don't know how Rivers can launch the deep ball that has become such a huge part of the Charger offense. Gates will be himself, and Floyd may not be as good as Jackson, but he does provide a similar skill set (albeit more injury prone). If (its a big IF) Buster Davis can remain healthy enough to play, he could provide some run after catch yardage along with Naanee.
    Last edited by ElShay; 07-13-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Much much quieter around SD these days!!

Will that equate to a better post season?