Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vick's turnaround

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
    So...you would give it to some other QB who has been playing lights out and is the most important person on their team, but not Vick? Who do you think is more deserving then?
    Phillip Rivers. Can you even name his backup?

Even though Peyton Manning is not having a bust out year, w/o him, you have a Curtis Painter led team at probably 2-whatever.

Non-QB MVP Troy Polamalu. W/o him, the Steelers are pretty mediocre, and less than that on D. Remember last year?

W/o Mike Vick, what do you have? Oh yeah, Kevin Kolb, the guy they drafted to be their franchise QB. The Eagles might not be a s good under Kolb right now, but the differential would not be as staggering as under any other scenario I listed above. Kind of like a Warner-less AZ team.

One parting shot ... I know Kaba doesn't think Vick's behavior is part of this award so I won't go there, but could we all at least acknowledge that MV's life was not ruined? He ruined it. Passive vs. active, fellas.

Cassel could be considered for the comeback player for sure. Last year he had a 5.9YPA average and a 16:16 TD:INT radio. This year he has eclipsed all those numbers and looks like a pro bowler. Perhaps Bowe after only have 589 yards and 4 TDs last season. The other players though did not really deal with adversity last year. Many of them were just backups who are now starters.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
    Cassel could be considered for the comeback player for sure. Last year he had a 5.9YPA average and a 16:16 TD:INT radio. This year he has eclipsed all those numbers and looks like a pro bowler. Perhaps Bowe after only have 589 yards and 4 TDs last season. The other players though did not really deal with adversity last year. Many of them were just backups who are now starters.
    Isn't not getting any playing time adversity?

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
    So...you would give it to some other QB who has been playing lights out and is the most important person on their team, but not Vick? Who do you think is more deserving then?
    Well, if Vick plays the rest of the season, he will have only played something like 73% of the time. Compare that to any other player playing 90% of the time or more, and that's where my main problem is. Plus the Eagles went 2-1 when he was out, so it's not like his absence had a major impact on his own team.

As for more deserving, Tom Brady and Philip Rivers, to name a couple I personally feel are more deserving, if you're selecting a QB for the award. Brady has had a phenomenal season as a QB, posting the leagues best passer rating. He's 12th in passing yards, compared to Vick at #21, but Brady leads the league in TD passes, has 88 more passing attempts than Vick, and has the leagues 3rd highest completion percentage while throwing for only 4 picks. Philip Rivers has similar numbers to Brady, so if you're going to select a QB, I don't see how you pick Vick over either of those two.
    Last edited by SpartaChris; 12-04-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    One parting shot ... I know Kaba doesn't think Vick's behavior is part of this award so I won't go there, but could we all at least acknowledge that MV's life was not ruined? He ruined it. Passive vs. active, fellas.
    This^^^

I don't see how you can give a most improved award to a guy who was out of the league due to his own poor choices in life. To me, that award should go to someone either A) Bounced back from injury, or B) Was considered done but proved he can still play. It shouldn't go to a guy who's sole reason for being out of football was because he went to jail.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Well, if Vick plays the rest of the season, he will have only played something like 73% of the time. Compare that to any other player playing 90% of the time or more, and that's where my main problem is. Plus the Eagles went 2-1 when he was out, so it's not like his absence had a major impact on his own team.
    If Vick stays healthy, he'll have played in 13 games this season. Marshall Faulk only played in 14 games when he won the MVP in 2000. Steve McNair only played in 14 when he won in 2003. There is a precedent for this. For the record, I'm not backing Vick for MVP myself, I'm just saying it's not crazy to consider him. I would personally give it to Tom Brady at this point in the season.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Blog Entries
    This^^^

I don't see how you can give a most improved award to a guy who was out of the league due to his own poor choices in life. To me, that award should go to someone either A) Bounced back from injury, or B) Was considered done but proved he can still play. It shouldn't go to a guy who's sole reason for being out of football was because he went to jail.
    That may be what you think, but that is not what determines who can win the award. Vick's situation is CLEARLY covered in the definition for the award. This is not a Most Improved Award, this is a Comeback Player Award. It's clearly stated that off-field circumstances do not make someone ineligible to receive the Comeback Player of the Year Award. To not consider Vick for the award because of the reasons he was not in the league, is completely unfair to him.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    If Vick stays healthy, he'll have played in 13 games this season. Marshall Faulk only played in 14 games when he won the MVP in 2000. Steve McNair only played in 14 when he won in 2003. There is a precedent for this. For the record, I'm not backing Vick for MVP myself, I'm just saying it's not crazy to consider him. I would personally give it to Tom Brady at this point in the season.
    Well technically 12.5, but still.. I don't care about precedent set 7-10 years ago. THIS year he's not the best player in football. He's not even the best QB. I named two other QB's who will have played a full 16 games and are having better seasons than he is.

Sorry, but Vick shouldn't be in the MVP discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    That may be what you think, but that is not what determines who can win the award. Vick's situation is CLEARLY covered in the definition for the award. This is not a Most Improved Award, this is a Comeback Player Award. It's clearly stated that off-field circumstances do not make someone ineligible to receive the Comeback Player of the Year Award. To not consider Vick for the award because of the reasons he was not in the league, is completely unfair to him.
    I know off field circumstances don't make a player ineligible, but there's no rule saying they should be ignored either. Seattle's Mike Williams and Minny's EJ Henderson are two people I feel are equally deserving of the award.

Blog Entries
    I know off field circumstances don't make a player ineligible, but there's no rule saying they should be ignored either. Seattle's Mike Williams and Minny's EJ Henderson are two people I feel are equally deserving of the award.
    You're such a hypocrite. Mike Williams literally ATE himself out of the league!! He is equal with Vick in terms of self-fault as to why they were out of the league in the first place.