Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Vick's turnaround

  1. #1

    Vick's turnaround

    # of games with a 90 Passer Rating or greater:
    2001 - rookie season
    2002 - 5 in 15 games
    2003 - 2 in 5 games
    2004 - 5 in 15 games
    2005 - 6 in 15 games
    2006 - 6 in 16 games
    2009 - suspended
    2010 - 8 in 9 games

    # of games with 60% in completions or greater:
    2001 - rookie season
    2002 - 6 in 15 games
    2003 - 1 in 5 games
    2004 - 6 in 15 games
    2005 - 5 in 15 games
    2006 - 5 in 16 games
    2009 - suspended
    2010 - 6 in 9 games

    Even if he doesn't win the MVP, I think he's a lock for Comeback POTY.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

  2. #2
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ukiah, CA
    Posts
    3,734
    Vick's a good candidate for Comeback POTY but Henderson is too. That injury was horrible. Tough to beat a good redemption story in the USA though.

    I'm thinking Vick's progress this year shows the value of good coaching also. Mike didn't have the best offensive minds around him in Atlanta and now he's on a team that can take full advantage of his skills.

  3. #3
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,917
    Blog Entries
    4
    Completely agree with the coaching point Clem. In Atlanta, nobody was there to teach him how to become a better passer. In Philly he has Andy Reid, and for all the jokes we make about him, he really is a fantastic coach. Now he's taken Michael Vick and turned him into a REAL quarterback. Anyone who says he's still just a RB playing out of position is making a ludicrous (Luda!) statement. Look at all the numbers, this is a new and improved Michael Vick. And it's for the better.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

  4. #4
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,533
    I vote for Vick as Comeback POTY thus far. Considering how not only his career but his entire life was seemingly ruined just three years ago, he has made a gigantic leap back into relevance and greatness. If he stays healthy he's an MVP candidate also. He is not only back, but he's even better than he was before. It's very impressive to me.

  5. #5
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    3,608
    I would give it to EJ Henderson as well. That injury was gruesome, and many thought his career might be in jeopardy. To bounce back from that type of injury seems nothing short of miraculous.

    Lets not forget Vick was out of football for reasons all his own. I'm not sure he's the kind of guy who should be given this kind of award.

    I also wouldn't consider him an MVP candidate. There's plenty of other teams who would be lost without their starting QB, so I'm not sure what he's done to separate himself from that pack. Fun and exciting to watch, sure, but he's not an MVP candidate in my book.

  6. #6
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,917
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Lets not forget Vick was out of football for reasons all his own. I'm not sure he's the kind of guy who should be given this kind of award..
    Blah, blah, blah. Doesn't matter, not what the award is about. The NFL's official definition of what the award means is as follows:

    "The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

    So yes, whether you agree with it or not, Vick's situation does qualify. This is an award for ON-FIELD PERFORMANCE, and nobody has performed better in a comeback than Michael Vick has this season.
    Last edited by KabaModernFan; 12-04-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

  7. Some other comeback player considerations:
    Brandon Lloyd (Den) - last year 8 catches for 117 yds 0 TD, leads NFL in yds receiving this year and has 9 TD catches so far
    Matt Cassell (KC) - this year he has 22 TD's 4 int's and could lead his team to division title after going 4-12 last year
    Peyton Hillis (Cle) - last year 54 yds rushing 1 TD, this year 905 yds rushing and 11 TD's to date
    Arian Foster (Hou) - last year 257 yds rushing 3 TD's, this year he is leading the league in rushing yards and TD's
    Dwayne Bowe (KC) - last year 47 catches 589 yds 4 TD's, this year leads NFL in TD catches (14) and is on pace to almost double his catches and yds

  8. #8
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    I also wouldn't consider him an MVP candidate. There's plenty of other teams who would be lost without their starting QB, so I'm not sure what he's done to separate himself from that pack. Fun and exciting to watch, sure, but he's not an MVP candidate in my book.
    So...you would give it to some other QB who has been playing lights out and is the most important person on their team, but not Vick? Who do you think is more deserving then?

  9. #9
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,917
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk Schonert View Post
    Some other comeback player considerations:
    Brandon Lloyd (Den) - last year 8 catches for 117 yds 0 TD, leads NFL in yds receiving this year and has 9 TD catches so far
    Matt Cassell (KC) - this year he has 22 TD's 4 int's and could lead his team to division title after going 4-12 last year
    Peyton Hillis (Cle) - last year 54 yds rushing 1 TD, this year 905 yds rushing and 11 TD's to date
    Arian Foster (Hou) - last year 257 yds rushing 3 TD's, this year he is leading the league in rushing yards and TD's
    Dwayne Bowe (KC) - last year 47 catches 589 yds 4 TD's, this year leads NFL in TD catches (14) and is on pace to almost double his catches and yds
    Those players aren't really...you know, coming back from anything. If the NFL had a Most Improved Player Award, like the NBA has, then I would say these guys would be in consideration.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

  10. Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Those players aren't really...you know, coming back from anything. If the NFL had a Most Improved Player Award, like the NBA has, then I would say these guys would be in consideration.
    They're coming back from mediocre to non existent seasons. What's Vick coming back from last year?

Similar Threads

  1. NFP News - Vick fights for Vick-tory, Loses Battle
    By Administrator in forum National Football Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 05:51 PM
  2. NFP News - Vick fighting for Vick-tory, Loses Battle
    By Administrator in forum National Football Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 05:14 PM
  3. NFP News - Vick fighting for Vick-tory
    By Administrator in forum National Football Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 04:24 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •