Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: So, does anyone here read?

So, does anyone here read?

... other than football news that is?

We've discussed TV, movies, music and recipes, so why not books (safer than politics and religion)? Fiction or not, your choice.

I'll start. Presently I'm starting Nelson DeMille's The Lion, the new sequel to Lion's Game. Having read just about everything else he's ever written, I'm assured this one will be a winner.

I tend to get hooked on authors and devour them, so in addition to DeMille, I love ...
    John LesCroart
    Greg Isles
    James Patterson
    Patricia Cornwell
    Jonathan Kellerman
    ... for starters

Non-fiction: Anything combining psych and biology (evolutionary psychology) written by Steven Pinker or Richards Dawkins and their contemporaries. Thomas Sowell for economics and some politics.

Next on my list: Jeffrey Miron's Libertarianism from A to Z and Andrew Napolitano's Lies the Government Told You.

How 'bout you...?
    Some people think the name of the Washington Redskins football team is offensive. There’s an easy way to fix that. You can just drop the word ‘Washington.’ ~ Ted Cruz

I read mostly sci-fi/fantasy.

Steven Brust
    L.E. Modesitt
    Orson Scott Card
    Brian Sandersen
    Robin Hobb

etc. etc. Got 6 book shelves overflowing with paperbacks. My wife keeps threatening to use them for kindling if I don't clean them up.

I'm not much of a reader. I'm halfway through my 2nd or 3rd book this year, which is about average. I tend to read lightweight, humorous books where there's little or no chance I might accidentally learn something. Last couple have been John Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Last couple have been John Irving.
    Twisted River? Also on my list to finish. Read a couple chapters, but had to return it to the library because I was traveling or something. I love libraries!

I tend to read lightweight, humorous books where there's little or no chance I might accidentally learn something.
    You can't beat Dave Barry then. Well, except you might actually learn something. Dude is funny, and wise.

Clem, as much as I adored all the Star Trek movies and series, I never got into reading much sci-fi. A little Heinlein, but it's been awhile.
    Some people think the name of the Washington Redskins football team is offensive. There’s an easy way to fix that. You can just drop the word ‘Washington.’ ~ Ted Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    Clem, as much as I adored all the Star Trek movies and series, I never got into reading much sci-fi. A little Heinlein, but it's been awhile.
    Try Orson Scott Card sometime. He does character novels thinly disguised as sci-fi. Also, Dave Barry is awesome. Mike Royko was also good in a similar vein.

Twisted River? Also on my list to finish.
    Actually yes. Not as good as I typically expect from Irving, but I'm not that far into it. Finished 'Widow for one year' early this year, highly recommended (though the first half is much better than the 2nd).

You can't beat Dave Barry then. Well, except you might actually learn something. Dude is funny, and wise.
    That's not a bad idea, might try that. I know Barry is really funny, mostly from articles. I also saw a documentary on Fran Lebowitz today, reminding me that she's one of the funniest people on earth and I really need to read her books.

You're probably one of those 'I have to have a book in my hands' type people. Not me. I started reading more with the advent of kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I started reading more with the advent of kindle.
    Between that and the alcohol consumption, I'm sure your parents are thrilled with their educational investment.

Between that and the alcohol consumption, I'm sure your parents are thrilled with their educational investment.
    My parents consider my 6 years at clown college to be their greatest investment.

Fiction-I'm into the Lethem and Eggers school of literature lately
    Non-fiction-any of the neo-atheists (Harris, Dawkins), Hitchens, and anything on Russian history, particularly Stalin...and of course Chomsky
    Not too mention all the poker books I'm constantly re-reading

Blog Entries
    I don't get a chance to read much in my spare time. I do read the Bible, sports columns and that's about it.

I have read and enjoyed autobiographies from folks like The Supremes Legend Mary Wilson, Terrell Owens, T-Boz, William Hanna, Joseph Barbera and some others. I have enjoyed reading Suze Orman's money books. Money Knowledge is Power!
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley