Thread: Starks

Starks

What does everyone expect from him in this next game against Detroit? I picked him up a few weeks ago after seeing that Jackson isn't as effective as they would like him to be. Is he what Packer fans have been waiting on all season instead of trading for Lynch?

I read the rookie had earned a bigger role in the offense so maybe we'll see what the kid has got. They need a guy who can carry the rock. The loss of Grant all but eliminated their running attack.

Honestly, it's too early to tell. He looked good last time, but teams didn't have much to game plan for last time they saw him. This time they have a bit of film. As for starting him over Jackson, flip a coin.

One bright spot was it was obvious every time he came in the game that he was getting the ball, yet he was still able to produce. That's not so obvious with Jackson, since Jackson is also an excellent pass blocker. The Packers will have to work with him on pass blocking so it's a little less obvious what the play type is.

Something I liked about him though- His humility. He out performed everyone's expectations last week and gave the credit to the rest of his team, rather than taking it himself.

It also helps when the offensive line isn't, well offensive. One of the problems the Packers are having is the tackles/TE and recievers are not pushing the edge down the field as has to happen on the typcial zone "stretch" play that the Packers typically run (see Atlanta on how this is supposed to happen). There was a statement by McCarthey a while ago stating that the Packers had given up somewhat on therun to protect Jackson from injury, as he was the only healthy RB left on the roster. Fact is the Packer's offensive line has not been making cut back lanes either on the zone stretch, which is where Jackson is most effective. Using Starks more as they used Grant should help Jackson's productin as well.

I took a chance and picked him up a few weeks ago and I am considering starting him over Cedric Benson at Pit this week. I am just trying to be cautious as to how much work everyone will think he will get against a bad Detroit run D. I think he has the potential to score a couple of TD's, but McCarthy saying Jackson is the main back worries me a bit.

Well, there's a bit of gamesmanship going on there. Starks will likely see the ball more on running plays, but the issue is teams know we're gonna run when he's in the game. I don't know how his pass blocking is yet, but with Jackson, we know his pass blocking is pretty good.