Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers getting back to more of a running attack in 2010??

Steelers Offensive Stats for 2009

League Ranks:
    Rushing Attempts-18th (428 attempts)
    Rushing Yards-19th (1793 yards)
    Rushing TDs-20th (10 rushing TDs-that sucks)
    Rushing Yards per attempt-16th (4.2 yards per attempt)

I won't belabor my previous points, but it is obvious that what the Steelers were doing to run the ball last year did not work. It is time to change the game plan. We can argue the merits of the Wildcat and there are arguments to support both sides-in any case some creativity in running the ball needs to be injected into the Steelers' offense.

Passing Attempts-18th (536 attempts)
    Passing Yards-9th (4148 yards)
    Net Yards per pass attempt-8th (7.1)

The above statistic is telling-they had fewer pass attempts for a longer number of yards-as stated before, the offense was using too many plays that required long passes downfield-they got some nice looking passing stats, but lost to the Raiders, Browns, Chiefs, and Bears, and missed the playoffs. There are many reasons they missed the playoffs, but I think the over-reliance on long pass plays was a part of this failure. A teams needs to be able to throw the long ball, but relying on it as a primary offense is not consistently successful (unless you are in Arena football).

As myself and several others have noted, more short passing to RBs and TEs (a West Coast approach) could be helpful to the Steelers. In the West Coast offense, the pass is used to set up the run-while the Steelers have not traditionally used a lot of West Coast concepts, now is the time to install some of these plays. Tell the Steelers QB (whoever it is) to throw it short most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf2300 View Post
    The above statistic is telling-they had fewer pass attempts for a longer number of yards-as stated before, the offense was using too many plays that required long passes downfield-they got some nice looking passing stats, but lost to the Raiders, Browns, Chiefs, and Bears, and missed the playoffs. There are many reasons they missed the playoffs, but I think the over-reliance on long pass plays was a part of this failure.
    Your point is very well taken - and 100% correct. Let''s just say that when the Steelers are competing for championships, Ben's (or their QB's) passing stats, other than completion %, are not in the top 10.

If they want to win, they have to figure out a way to run the ball.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    @iwatt,

I don't understand your comment, can you rephrase?
    Sorry. Its my understanding that the White case wasn't ever truly served, but just kept on the backburner while the CBA was resolved. Since the White claim was never truly resolved, it kepts been pushed into the next one...

I might be wrong about that.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte