View Poll Results: Who will win this game?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nebraska Cornhuskers

1 50.00%
  • Washington Huskies

1 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl - FINAL - Washington 19 Nebraska 7

Blog Entries

Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl - FINAL - Washington 19 Nebraska 7

Team Stat Comparison

Nebraska
    Washington
    1st Downs 14 21
    Total Yards 189 340
    Passing 98 72
    Rushing 91 268
    Penalties 12-102 3-30
    3rd Down Conversions 4-14 6-15
    4th Down Conversions 2-3 0-2
    Turnovers 2 0
    Possession 28:56 31:04
    Passing Leaders
    Nebraska C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
    Martinez 7/9 53 5.9 1 1
    Washington C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
    Locker 5/16 56 3.5 0 0
    Rushing Leaders
    Nebraska CAR YDS AVG TD LG
    Burkhead 12 39 3.3 0 28
    Helu Jr. 11 34 3.1 0 16
    Washington CAR YDS AVG TD LG
    Polk 34 177 5.2 1 24
    Locker 13 83 6.4 1 25
    Receiving Leaders
    Nebraska REC YDS AVG TD LG
    McNeill 3 33 11.0 0 17
    Reed 2 31 15.5 1 16
    Washington REC YDS AVG TD LG
    Goodwin 2 30 15.0 0 26
    Polk 2 22 11.0 0 11
    Scoring Summary
    FIRST QUARTER NEB WASH
    TD 09:08 Chris Polk 3 Yd Run (Erik Folk Kick) 0 7
    FG 01:29 Erik Folk 39 Yd 0 10
    SECOND QUARTER NEB WASH
    TD 10:24 Kyler Reed 15 Yd Pass From Taylor Martinez (Alex Henery Kick) 7 10
    THIRD QUARTER NEB WASH
    TD 13:18 Jake Locker 25 Yd Run (Erik Folk Kick) 7 17
    FOURTH QUARTER NEB WASH
    SF 13:38 Penalty On - Team In End Zone 7 19

SAN DIEGO -- Jake Locker ended his college career with a win that has the Washington Huskies headed back to respectability.

Locker bounced back from an injury he said looked worse than it was, scoring on a 25-yard run in the third quarter to help Washington to a 19-7 victory over punchless Nebraska (No. 18 BCS, No. 17 AP) in the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl Thursday night.

Tailback Chris Polk ran for 177 yards and a score as the Huskies (7-6) avenged a 56-21 loss to the Huskers (10-4) in Seattle on Sept. 18. The Cornhuskers piled up 533 yards of total offense in that game, including 383 rushing.

While Washington was a winner in its first bowl game since 2002, the Huskers came out flat in their second straight Holiday Bowl appearance. They were manhandled on both sides of the line and imploded with 12 penalties for 102 yards.

Washington outgained Nebraska 340 yards to 189, including 268 to 91 rushing.

"We just ran right at 'em," Polk said. "We knew we could win if we ran the way we know how to run. They couldn't stop it. We whupped a team that didn't respect us."

Locker, who passed up the NFL draft last spring to return for his senior season, capped the opening drive of the second half with a 25-yard scoring run to give Washington a 17-7 lead. He faked a handoff and then ran right, bouncing off a defender and staying on his feet to score.

"This is the experience that I came back for," Locker said. "It's been some frustrating years, but to go out this way and see this program off this way, I'm going to be their biggest fan from here on out. Every Saturday I'm going to be tuning in to watch the Huskies play. I'm proud to be part of this program."

The Huskies were 0-12 in 2008 before Steve Sarkisian took over as coach.

"This is why he came back," Sarkisian said about Locker. "The reality is, money is money, but these experiences last a lifetime. I'm happy for him. He has a huge heart. He's a humble young man."

Locker ran 13 times for 83 yards. Polk had 34 carries.

"We were a lot more confident and it showed tonight," Locker said.

"We're moving in the right direction," Sarkisian said.

Locker was shaken up in the second quarter when he scrambled, slid headfirst and was hit helmet-to-helmet by Nebraska safety Austin Cassidy. Locker was on the ground for a few minutes before walking off on his own power. He was replaced by Keith Price for the rest of the series, which ended when a fourth-down run by Chris Polk was stuffed.

Locker returned for the next series after safety Nate Fellner intercepted Taylor Martinez's pass.

"It probably looked worse than it really was," he said. "My helmet hit my nose and it was numb. I couldn't open my eyes. They asked me what was wrong, and I said, 'I can't see.' I couldn't feel my helmet down over my eyes. Everything was black."

The Huskies had to win their final three regular-season games to become bowl eligible. They got their first win in four trips to the Holiday Bowl.

Nebraska was coming off a 23-20 loss to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game in which it blew a 17-point lead.

"I'm embarrassed," Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said. "I obviously didn't get them ready to play. I thought we were ready to play. I liked our plan. We didn't execute very well. Obviously we didn't play our best football. It starts with me."

Martinez limped off the field in the third quarter. He was replaced by Cody Green, who had a nice scramble deep in his own territory. But guard Ricky Henry was called for holding in the end zone for a safety, giving Washington a 19-7 lead.

Martinez missed the regular-season finale against Colorado because of injuries to his right ankle and left foot.

Nebraska played as bad a first half as possible and trailed just 10-7 at halftime.

The Huskers fumbled twice on the game's opening drive, once by Martinez as he was sacked, which was recovered by guard Keith Williams. Four plays later, Rex Burkhead took a direct snap, fumbled as he was hit by Victor Aiyewa, with Washington's Alameda Ta'amu recovering and returning it 14 yards to the Nebraska 21.

Polk scored three plays later, running in untouched from the 3.

The Huskies made it 10-0 on Erik Folk's 39-yard field goal.

The Huskers came back and salvaged a drive on which they were whistled for consecutive delay-of-game penalties. Martinez gained 20 yards on a keeper on third-and-13, and a late hit out of bounds by Nate Fellner gave the Huskers the ball at the 17. Three plays later, Martinez threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to Kyler Reed to pull to 10-7.

Folk was wide left on a 48-yard field goal try 2 seconds before halftime.

It was 48 degrees at kickoff, making it the coldest Holiday Bowl ever.

The 26 points tied for the fewest combined points in Holiday Bowl history. Iowa and BYU tied 13-13 in 1991.

All stats and information taken from ESPN.com and the AP. They are not original works of this user.
    Last edited by FessJL0861; 12-31-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I will give every single one of those 14 points. Nebraska by 90. O.k., Nebraska by 31.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

One of my big picks in the pool.

Based the pick on record and the one Washington game I saw this year. They are simply not very good.

If Washington can just force them to throw it, it'll be a close game. Locker finally has a reason to step it up. Still picked Nebraska though.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FessJL0861 View Post
    I will give every single one of those 14 points. Nebraska by 90. O.k., Nebraska by 31.
    10-7 Washington in the 2nd quarter. Really Washington? Really? Really? Christ...
    Last edited by FessJL0861; 12-31-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the extra point. Changed from 6 to 7 for Nebraska.

Just stay in the Big 12, Nebraska. The Big 10 actually wins their bowl games.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Terrible tackling, terrible blocking, terrible play-calling. Jebus.
    ― Walter Payton

yea Nebraska was my 35 in the confidence pool.

Yea...

Blog Entries
    For the record, a 14 point dog just dominated and won by 12 points. They could have won by more, and after Pelini's season, I don't know if Osborne doesn't fire him.

Blog Entries
    Just for the record, I still don't see what the big deal about Jake Locker is. I know I've argued with people on this site before about it, but I just wouldn't want my organization to draft a quarterback who's never owned a completion percentage above 60% and whose YPA is something like 5.1. I get that he played on a pretty bad team, but Jesus Christ, those numbers are awful, and I've never seen him look really good against a good team (even last night, 5/16?). I'm not an NFL scout, but I just don't understand.
    @kocsan