Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Will Donovan McNabb's Legacy Be?

What Will Donovan McNabb's Legacy Be?

Noticed there are no threads here, so I thought I'd start one. I'm an Eagles fan, and one of the many who believed trading him intradivision was a huge blunder not seen since Jerguson. I believe McNabb is a Hall of Famer, but from his very auspicious beginning at Radio City Music Hall to the constant knocks, criticisms and eventual trade out of a city he represented so well, there have always been questions.

He now has the opportunity to redefine and write a punctuated finish to his legacy with the Redskins - his abilities now better paired with a coach not hell bent on rewriting geometry by trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

The very first step begins with this upcoming season. How will the Redskins finish, and what will McNabb's legacy eventually be?
    Last edited by HiloVulcan; 07-08-2010 at 12:01 AM.

2. McNabb will go down as the fourth or fifth best QB of this era. Brady, Brees, and Manning are all certainly ahead of McNabb as far as current players and they all started roughly around the same time. Unless he wins a Super Bowl, he won't even have a shot of being in the same light as those guys. He's a borderline Hall of Famer, if he gets a Super Bowl he's in, if he doesn't he's just Drew Bledsoe or Boomer Esiason with speed.

Blog Entries
    McNabb is certainly one of the best of this era. He doesn't have a ring (yet), but his talent is undeniable. I expect he has several years left in his career, so I'll be curious to see the legacy he leaves. I imagine in the future, everyone will remember him for his time with the Eagles and how he made them a consistent contender (5 NFC Championship games in 8 seasons).

I'll always love McNabb, and I wish he would retire an Eagle. Can't knock the guy, easily one of the best of the era and embodied the Eagles - always good, never great. I think his window for a ring as closed, but I wish nothing but the best for him in Washington, save for the two Sundays a year he's going to be lining up opposite Philadelphia.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    I commented about this on another post but I believe the redskins will sadly finish last but I do believe they will make some noise. I hope a lot of noise because I enjoy watching the NFC east teams beat each other up. But I do believe with the new coach that they will be a nice team in the very near future. The only thing I will say, I AM NOT a fan of Jim Haslett. If Shanahan can keep him in line, he can be a great D-coor but he can get a bit too friendly with the players. Check out what he did with the saints back in the day.

Now Mcnabb, It is hard for me not to say he is in the top 5 of his era. He was in an era of some really great quarterbacks (not saying it's over though!). I see him entering the hall of fame as an Eagle even if he wins one down the road with the 'skins.
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

Blog Entries
    I think even with a ring he isn't a HOFer...It's so hard, in the current state of anything, to think ahead and look back. Say 2025 comes around...will there be an argument...Who deserves to be a Hall of Famer more...Donovan McNabb, or Mark Brunell...easy answer, right? OBVIOUSLY MCNABB!!! Well, not really as of today. I know McNabb will tally more yards before his career is over, but as of right now, their stats are very very similar. So yes, he's had a good career, but unless he gets a ring, and tallies a couple more 3,000 yard seasons, I don't see it happening.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMilk View Post
    I think even with a ring he isn't a HOFer...It's so hard, in the current state of anything, to think ahead and look back. Say 2025 comes around...will there be an argument...Who deserves to be a Hall of Famer more...Donovan McNabb, or Mark Brunell...easy answer, right? OBVIOUSLY MCNABB!!! Well, not really as of today. I know McNabb will tally more yards before his career is over, but as of right now, their stats are very very similar. So yes, he's had a good career, but unless he gets a ring, and tallies a couple more 3,000 yard seasons, I don't see it happening.
    I can't see him as a Hall of Famer, I just can't. He was never that good, regardless of regular season stats. I mean - the title of this thread is exactly it, what IS his legacy? Puking in the Super Bowl? Terrell Owens? Chunky soup? Not knowing you can tie in an NFL game? Or being traded to a division rival because your old team thinks your washed up, and 'fans' CHEERING the decision?

I'm not trying to dump on the guy, I love McNabb. But no, no Hall of Fame. When the guy was good, he was really good. But not Hall of Fame good.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

Yea I don't know that that is being entirely objective. Although I don't claim pure objectivity either. Interestingly ESPN just wrote a story discussing.

From the story: I think McNabb will always be appreciated more by the national media more than the folks in Philly. Every game has been dissected, so Eagles fans simply got to know him a little too well. His career has honestly been more consistent than Kurt Warner's. But Warner has the ring and he finished strong with the Cardinals.

Bottom line: Another trip to the Super Bowl would help his cause immensely, but he's already in the Canton conversation.

Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/ta...of-fame-debate

Also I say the Skins improve by 5 to 6 wins, and McNabb makes those receivers look good, both have more ability then Stinky Pinky and Trash. You would think if he can take them to 3 straight NFCCG's there's hope for Devin and Malcolm.

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by HiloVulcan View Post
    Also I say the Skins improve by 5 to 6 wins, and McNabb makes those receivers look good, both have more ability then Stinky Pinky and Trash. You would think if he can take them to 3 straight NFCCG's there's hope for Devin and Malcolm.
    That has to be repeated for everyone. I guess he didn't dominate with stats but the guy could win. And always brought them to the NFC championship but couldn't bring it forward except once. I mean, I think he has a great resume.
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

Blog Entries
    I think McNabb should go to the HOF. He carried the Eagles to the top of what was a fairly tough division, year in, year out. I think you may be right about having the ring, which is totally bogus, IMO. Teams win championships. McNabb found ways to help his team win consistently, throwing to guys with brick hands and alligator arms.