View Poll Results: Who will win this game?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stanford Cardinal

2 100.00%
  • Virginia Tech Hokies

0 0%

Thread: Discover Orange Bowl - FINAL - Stanford 40 Virgina Tech 12

Blog Entries

Discover Orange Bowl - FINAL - Stanford 40 Virgina Tech 12

Team Stat Comparison

Stanford
    Virginia Tech
    1st Downs 19 16
    Total Yards 534 288
    Passing 287 222
    Rushing 247 66
    Penalties 6-49 4-28
    3rd Down Conversions 6-11 5-14
    4th Down Conversions 0-1 0-1
    Turnovers 2 1
    Possession 27:46 32:14
    Passing Leaders
    Stanford C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
    Luck 18/23 287 12.5 4 1
    Virginia Tech C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
    Taylor 16/31 222 7.2 1 1
    Rushing Leaders
    Stanford CAR YDS AVG TD LG
    Taylor 13 114 8.8 0 56
    Stewart 5 99 19.8 1 60
    Virginia Tech CAR YDS AVG TD LG
    Evans 12 37 3.1 0 15
    Taylor 16 22 1.4 0 22
    Receiving Leaders
    Stanford REC YDS AVG TD LG
    Fleener 6 173 28.8 3 58
    Ertz 2 39 19.5 1 25
    Virginia Tech REC YDS AVG TD LG
    Coale 7 92 13.1 0 42
    Boykin 5 84 16.8 0 32
    Scoring Summary
    FIRST QUARTER STAN VT
    TD 06:16 Jeremy Stewart 60 Yd Run (Nate Whitaker Kick) 7 0
    SF 00:59 Derek Hall Downed In End Zone for Safety 7 2
    SECOND QUARTER STAN VT
    TD 10:22 David Wilson 11 Yd Pass From Tyrod Taylor (Chris Hazley Kick) 7 9
    TD 06:32 Zach Ertz 25 Yd Pass From Andrew Luck (Pat Blocked) 13 9
    FG 00:03 Chris Hazley 37 Yd 13 12
    THIRD QUARTER STAN VT
    TD 08:47 Owen Marecic 1 Yd Run (Pat Failed) 19 12
    TD 05:49 Coby Fleener 41 Yd Pass From Andrew Luck (Nate Whitaker Kick) 26 12
    FOURTH QUARTER STAN VT
    TD 12:28 Coby Fleener 58 Yd Pass From Andrew Luck (Nate Whitaker Kick) 33 12
    TD 06:05 Coby Fleener 38 Yd Pass From Andrew Luck (Nate Whitaker Kick) 40 12

MIAMI -- John Elway flashed his familiar grin and Jim Harbaugh gave a jubilant shout from the sideline as Andrew Luck sprinted up the field to join a celebration in the end zone.

Nearly a quarter remained in the Orange Bowl, but the Stanford Cardinal (No. 4 BCS, No. 5 AP) were on the way to their first bowl victory in 14 years. And it was a blowout.

Now, the biggest question that remains about the Cardinal is whether their star quarterback and coach are coming back.

Luck, the Heisman Trophy runner-up, threw for 287 yards and four touchdowns Monday night to lead Stanford past Virginia Tech (No. 13 BCS, No. 12 AP), 40-12.

"It's a wonderful way to cap off the season," Luck said. "Couldn't be happier for the Stanford community."

The sophomore turned in a performance reminiscent of Elway, the former Stanford quarterback who is expected to become the Denver Broncos' chief football executive this week. Elway served as honorary captain, and ex-Stanford QB Jim Plunkett also was on hand to lend support.

"As an alum, it's the greatest -- to be able to come down here and watch a great football team," Elway said. "They're well-coached, they played great. Some great players. A big thrill."

When the game ended, two Stanford players lifted Harbaugh on their shoulders and he raised an arm in triumph. The Cardinal (12-1) likely will end the season ranked in the top 5 for the first time since the unbeaten 1940 team finished No. 2.

Their success comes only four years after they went 1-11 and hired Harbaugh as coach to lead a turnaround.

"They've bounced back from some terrible years and put Stanford back on the football map," Plunkett said. "I'm very proud of them."

Virginia Tech (11-3), playing in a bowl game for the 18th consecutive year, fell to 1-27 against top-5 teams.

Stanford threw a completion for a bizarre safety and blew two extra points, but overcame those mistakes with six plays gaining more than 30 yards. Two came in succession on a two-play, 97-yard "drive," and the Cardinal outscored Tech 27-0 in the second half.

"They're really good, and we helped them be good," Hokies coach Frank Beamer said. "There were a couple of long plays against our defense, and then the game got away from us. The thing kind of snowballed."

Tight end Coby Fleener caught scoring passes of 41, 58 and 38 yards from Luck, all in the final 21 minutes. Zach Ertz had a 25-yard TD reception, Jeremy Stewart scored on a 60-yard run and Stepfan Taylor added a 56-yard run. Fullback-linebacker Owen Marecic scored on a 1-yard run and had a sack.

Luck went 18 for 23 and was chosen the most valuable player.

"Andrew Luck is the straw that stirs the drink around here," Harbaugh said.

"I don't think there's anyone better playing right now," Plunkett added.

Fleener had six catches for 173 yards for the Cardinal, who outgained Tech 534-288.

"We came out in the second half and established a rhythm," Luck said. "We were making some uncommon mistakes in the first half. We just went back to blocking, throwing, catching, and it worked out for us."

The game might have been the last at Stanford for Harbaugh and Luck. Harbaugh is expected to be courted by NFL teams and perhaps alma mater Michigan after leading the Cardinal to a school-record win total. Luck is projected as the likely first pick in the draft if he turns pro this year.

"I don't want to make an impulsive decision," Luck said. "I'll enjoy this as long as I can. I know the deadline is coming up, I'll sit down with my parents, weigh the pros and cons and go from there."

When Harbaugh was asked about the possibility he had coached his final game at Stanford, he said: "Oh please, please. Give me a break. Have some respect for the game."

During the trophy ceremony, Stanford fans chanted, "One more year." Elway shared the sentiment, saying he hopes Harbaugh and Luck are back next season.

"No matter what, they both had a great night tonight," Elway said. "Andrew's going to have a great career in the NFL, and Jim's going to have a great career if he stays here or moves on."

Stanford began to pull away by going the length of the field in 29 seconds in the third quarter. After Delano Howell made an interception at the 3 to snuff a Tech threat, Taylor busted loose and reached Hokies territory. On the next play, Luck threw deep to Fleener for a 26-12 lead.

Luck also threw for a safety that cut Stanford's lead to 7-2. His pass was batted backward by Antoine Hopkins to 303-pound offensive tackle Derek Hall, who caught the ball rather than knocking it down and was tackled in the end zone.

"Football can be a very funny game," Luck said. "No point in getting emotionally hijacked over it."

The Hokies' offense had trouble scoring. Tyrod Taylor threw for 222 yards but was held to 22 yards rushing, and Tech twice came away empty after driving inside the Stanford 35.

Taylor's scrambling skills helped the Hokies score their only touchdown. On third-and-goal he rolled left, retreated, spun 180 degrees near the Stanford bench and threw to David Wilson for an 11-yard score.

After the play, Taylor asked Harbaugh if he had stepped on the sideline. Harbaugh told him he hadn't.

Taylor moved the Hokies 60 yards in the final 47 seconds of the first half to set up a 37-yard field goal by Chris Hasley, but they netted only 109 yards in the second half.

"I'm still proud of my boys for this whole season," Tyrod Taylor said. "We had a heck of a season, and it's nothing to hold your head down about right now."

All stats and information taken from ESPN.com and the AP. They are not original works of this user.
    Last edited by FessJL0861; 01-04-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Well, this is interesting. The Orange Bowl hosting committee has refused to allow the Stanford band to perform at halftime, given their history and the fact that their planned set for this evening was entitled, 'Recent Events in the Pro Sports World in Miami.' Apparently, making fun of LeBron James is illegal in the state of Florida.

Here is the link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=80205
    @kocsan

I had VTech for the longest time, but when I realized that I only had 11 correct picks, I changed it to Stanford since I was desperate, so if Tech wins, I officially quit on this pool.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Well, this is interesting. The Orange Bowl hosting committee has refused to allow the Stanford band to perform at halftime, given their history and the fact that their planned set for this evening was entitled, 'Recent Events in the Pro Sports World in Miami.' Apparently, making fun of LeBron James is illegal in the state of Florida.

Here is the link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=80205
    Also banned is wit, originality and any variance from mom, apple pie and etc. etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Also banned is wit, originality and any variance from mom, apple pie and etc. etc.
    Hey, I love apple pie. Leave apple pie alone. I kid, I kid.....

Luck looked pretty good, and there is NO WAY he comes back.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by FessJL0861 View Post
    Hey, I love apple pie. Leave apple pie alone. I kid, I kid.....

Luck looked pretty good, and there is NO WAY he comes back.
    No chance. I'm sure Jake Locker would agree.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Andrew Luck looks like he can complete passes in the NFL; I've never really seen that from Jake Locker.
    @kocsan

Last night Andrew Luck in my mind cemented himself as the #1 overall pick if he wasn't considered to be already by pretty much every team. Carolina will likely take him, and the only thing stupid about it is that they've acquired three new QBs already in the past two years and not done much with any of them. Maybe the 4th one is the charm for the new regime that gets installed for the Panthers.