Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Freeman is a Football God!!

Blog Entries

Josh Freeman is a Football God!!

I was shocked, shocked I say, by the doubters in the greatness of Josh Freeman. This guy reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger, in the football sense. He seems to be more levelheaded than Ben though, but his on field leadership is very similar. Another similarity, both were the 3rd QB drafted in their class.

Let's look at his numbers in 2010

Season
    Record: 8-6 (.571)
    YPA: 7.01
    Rating: 88.8
    Comp: 59%

Good numbers, but nothing to write home about. But I tell you you have to look deeper when you want to understand the greatness of Josh:

He is a Road Warrior:

AWAY
    Record: 5-2 (.714)
    YPA: 8.01
    Rating: 94.1
    Comp: 57%

He is clutch

4th Q: +/- 7 pts.
    YPA: 8.93
    Rating: 98.2
    Comp: 63.4%

He has 7th 4th Qtr Comebacks/7 4th Qtr Wins in 23 starts
    So when he is behind, he comes back and wins.

He is a sophomore who has turned around a 3-13 team into an 8-6 playoff contender.
    In his freshman year, his team was 0-7 before he was given the start. they went 3-6 with him.

In his first NFL start, he led a 4th Qtr comeback to beat the Pack, forever cementing his greatness in the eyes of this Bears Fan.

Josh Freeman has thrown interceptions on only 1.4 percent of his pass attempts this year, which would be one of the 26 best seasons ever in terms of avoiding picks. Of the 24 players on the list now, only eight were under 30 years old; Freeman is 22.

By the way, he's done all this in his second year playing with 2 rookie WRs.

I rest my case, Josh Freeman is a football god
    Last edited by iwatt; 12-23-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Maybe demi-god at this point. I have been impressed for how far he's come in his second year, but he still has a way to go to make it into the top 10. For those of you that haven't seen a Bucs game in a while (can't be more than 92% of the population), Freeman is fun to watch. He is a BIG DUDE (listed at 6-6, 248) with a big arm. The Roethlisberger comparison is accurate. My one complaint with Freeman is the haircut, or lack thereof. It's not Ryan Fitzpatrick's beard, but a trip to the barber shop might not be a bad idea.

Blog Entries
    Andy, I agree that my hyperbole might be slightlu out there, but let's look at the list of the 4 first QBs in each class taken in the last 5 years. Let me highlight the best performing QB in each class.

Year Rnd Pick Tm
    2010 1 1 STL Sam Bradford
    2010 1 25 DEN Tim Tebow
    2010 2 48 CAR Jimmy Clausen
    2010 3 85 CLE Colt McCoy

2009 1 1 DET Matthew Stafford
    2009 1 5 NYJ Mark Sanchez
    2009 1 17 TAM Josh Freeman
    2009 2 44 MIA Pat White

2008 1 3 ATL Matt Ryan
    2008 1 18 BAL Joe Flacco
    2008 2 56 GNB Brian Brohm
    2008 2 57 MIA Chad Henne

2007 1 1 OAK JaMarcus Russell
    2007 1 22 CLE Brady Quinn
    2007 2 36 PHI Kevin Kolb
    2007 2 40 MIA John Beck

2006 1 3 TEN Vince Young
    2006 1 10 ARI Matt Leinart
    2006 1 11 DEN Jay Cutler
    2006 2 49 NYJ Kellen Clemens

That's 20 QBs, and I'll rank my top 10 according to personal preference

1 Joe Flacco: Went to the Championship as a Rookie, is going to make the playoffs 3rd year in the row. And he did it with little to no personnel on the offensive side. Get's the nod over Matty Ice because he's playing the AFC East and AFC North, and has a better record in the playoffs and regular season.
    2 Matt Ryan: Haven't seem him go on the road and beat a contender, and he's feasted on the NFC West, and has a dominant run game in his favor. One and done in the playoffs is my biggest kncok on him.
    3 Josh Freeman: He has that clutch factor. Also, read above.
    4 Colt McCoy: Haven't seen him enough, but he is a true Leader if what I hear from his teamates is true. If he had a real Cordinator, maybe we'd see more out of him.
    5 Matthew Stafford: All the tools, can't stay on the field. Hope the Lion loosing stink hasn't stuck to him.
    6 Vince Young: He's a proven winner, A good Passer. A bad leader. Too high strung for the position maybe?
    7 Jay Cutler: Probably the most physically gifted of all of these QBs. He needs to learn to keep his ego in check.
    8 Sam Bradford: Sounds great, how he's turned things around. It's not true though, since the MVP of the Rams is Chris Long. The passing offense of the Rams stinks, and he has a stud RB in Jackson. He doesn't win on the road. I rate him this high because he is playing with 3rd string recievers, so he gets the benefit of the doubt.
    9 Tim Tebow: Moxy. I'm a firm believer in intangibles, and this kid has it in spades.
    10 Mark Sanchez: He has an innacurate arm. But he has an uncanny ability to break tackles and makes plays. And he has a winning playoff record. That counts, alot.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Personally, I would go Ryan over Flacco. And of course Pat White at #1.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't quibble with either of your top 2, but I will disagree with your assertion that Flacco has no weapons. Ray Rice, Q, Heap, Mason, and if Housh is your fourth receiving option you're in good shape. Not having world class speed doesn't mean you're not a weapon (exhibit A: Smith, Irvin, Novacek, exhibit B: Thomas, Reed, Metzelaars).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    I wouldn't quibble with either of your top 2, but I will disagree with your assertion that Flacco has no weapons. Ray Rice, Q, Heap, Mason, and if Housh is your fourth receiving option you're in good shape. Not having world class speed doesn't mean you're not a weapon (exhibit A: Smith, Irvin, Novacek, exhibit B: Thomas, Reed, Metzelaars).
    Sorry, I meant he did it his first 2 years without great weapons. Now he has the toys.
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Added this little factoid:
    Josh Freeman has thrown interceptions on only 1.4 percent of his pass attempts this year, which would be one of the 26 best seasons ever in terms of avoiding picks. Of the 24 players on the list now, only eight were under 30 years old; Freeman is 22.
    WoW!
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Josh Freeman 21/26 237yds 9.1 YPA 5TD 0INT 144.2 Rating
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I was shocked, shocked I say, by the doubters in the greatness of Josh Freeman.
    As my user name suggests, I have suffered through many, many losing seasons with the Bucs! We've been Buc's fans since day one, so it was difficult to get excited about our future when it was announced that Gruden was fired, then top that off with a very young QB and rookie players and our future didn't look so hot!

We're well aware of what it means to have a rebuilding season, but I think we had a right to question and criticize the Buc's organization for the huge shakeup at that time. Also, we lost Monte Kiffin so that was the turd on the ice cream sundae for us! The first season with Raheem was rough, but we were patient (we always are!), and hoped the next season would be better - and it was. Sometimes during that first season the team would look great, then the next game we'd look like the Bad News Bears! Every NFL fan knows this feeling all too well with their respective teams. It's a frustration we all endure!

For all the criticism though, Mr. LongSufferingBucsFan and I will never jump off the Buc's bandwagon. I think that Raheem has matured as a coach and I'm starting to believe that his choices in players is paying off. We could really see a difference in how much this team seemed to gel over the course of the season. I understood why Raheem made his seemingly outrageous statement earlier in the season that the Bucs were the best team in the NFC. He wanted the players to buy into that notion. He knew that in reality they weren't the best team, but he wanted them to believe in themselves and to truly believe that they could be the best. I think they started playing liked they believed it too. We saw a glimmer of hope with Josh last year, but this season he really came alive on the field! We're happy that the Bucs finally have a QB who is so promising of an athlete.

My one wish is that Ronde will decide to stick around for another season. What a great player and mentor he is. It's sad to see him out there though without Sapp, Lynch, Brooks and his other Superbowl teammates. Those glory days went by too fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by LongSufferingBucsFan View Post
    As my user name suggests, I have suffered through many, many losing seasons with the Bucs! We've been Buc's fans since day one, so it was difficult to get excited about our future when it was announced that Gruden was fired, then top that off with a very young QB and rookie players and our future didn't look so hot!

We're well aware of what it means to have a rebuilding season, but I think we had a right to question and criticize the Buc's organization for the huge shakeup at that time. Also, we lost Monte Kiffin so that was the turd on the ice cream sundae for us! The first season with Raheem was rough, but we were patient (we always are!), and hoped the next season would be better - and it was. Sometimes during that first season the team would look great, then the next game we'd look like the Bad News Bears! Every NFL fan knows this feeling all too well with their respective teams. It's a frustration we all endure!

For all the criticism though, Mr. LongSufferingBucsFan and I will never jump off the Buc's bandwagon. I think that Raheem has matured as a coach and I'm starting to believe that his choices in players is paying off. We could really see a difference in how much this team seemed to gel over the course of the season. I understood why Raheem made his seemingly outrageous statement earlier in the season that the Bucs were the best team in the NFC. He wanted the players to buy into that notion. He knew that in reality they weren't the best team, but he wanted them to believe in themselves and to truly believe that they could be the best. I think they started playing liked they believed it too. We saw a glimmer of hope with Josh last year, but this season he really came alive on the field! We're happy that the Bucs finally have a QB who is so promising of an athlete.

My one wish is that Ronde will decide to stick around for another season. What a great player and mentor he is. It's sad to see him out there though without Sapp, Lynch, Brooks and his other Superbowl teammates. Those glory days went by too fast!!

Nice post.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.