Thread: What Do You Do About Matt Stafford?

Blog Entries

What Do You Do About Matt Stafford?

Two years isn't always enough to make judgments about a quarterback, but there's one thing we can say about Matt Stafford: He needs to start wearing titanium shoulder pads. This is the second time in as many years that Stafford has missed time because of his shoulder, and I feel like this time was more damaging than the first, even though this team won more games than last season.

When Stafford went down last year, he missed 6 games, including the final four of the year. This year, he has only played in 3 games. Forget about playing all 16 games in a year; he hasn't even played 16 games total. At this point, the management has to ask itself what needs to be done to protect their huge investment. After all, Stafford's contract is something like 6 years/$72 million with $42 million guaranteed (just an estimate; not sure if it's right).

I would expect the Lions to make big strides in strengthening their O-line, but even if they do, the damage has already been done. Stafford's shoulder can't take much abuse at all, and if these hits keep coming, he won't be in the league very long. So, if you had the power, what would you do about Stafford? Do you try to pick up a reliable QB as backup? Let's face it, Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton can't be counted on for an extended period of time. There's probably multiple steps that need to be taken, and this isn't an easy question to answer, but it's something the Lions need to think about.

Blog Entries
    I think you have to keep Stanton...it has only been 3 years...now, if this happens AGAIN, then yes, but they have a good thing going in Detroit, FINALLY...Also, I don't feel, personally, that there's a QB this year that I'd take to make big moves with...might as well hold out, especially assuming they are drafting around 5-8 pick range (no free agents, may be some good ones available, but I don't like that move for this team)
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

It was announced locally that Stafford will sit out the rest of this year.

This is two times this season missing time because of a serparated right shoulder. If my reading of the medical side of this is correct, both separations were very close to complete dislocations. So, the injuries could have been worse, but not much.

His other shoulder injury was last year, but that was his left one. He also missed time last season with a knee injury.

That is four stretches of games missed due to injury in two seasons. When he has played, especially this year, he has been very, very good.

The Lions indeed have a quandary this offseason. They have already signed Hill for next year, so they are set at backup. Stanton surprised us with his play late in the Bucs game, driving down the field with no timeouts to tie the game and then following that up with a game winning drive in OT. He is set to become a free agent this year. Do they keep him at #3 or let him walk?

Backus and Raiola are both having strong seasons. But those two are getting up there in age. This Hilliard kid who came in when Gosder Cherilus (bust, BTW. Thanks Millen!!) got hurt is playing very well. So, upgrading the O-line is a must this year. But so is the back seven of the defense.

This team has so many needs. And not just for starters, quality backups and special teamers would help a ton.

But Stafford is the lynchpin. I believe the kid has had a run of awful luck and that his fortunes will change.

Let's hope I'm right.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Stafford's sudden snakebit status may pass, or it may not. In the meantime, the Lions shown they can win with Hill. Stanton is a good backup. Keep them all and build the O line and the secondary and the backers. The core of a really good team is there. To have a guy with Stafford's potential, and the backups the Lions have is a good thing, one way or another. Put a solid team around whoever is standing upright and Detroit can turn their franchise around.

Blog Entries
    The fact that both Stafford and Hill, as well as Stanton to a lesser degree have had significant injuries this year points at OL issues more than anything else. Time to draft a Tackle. Stafford has a chance next year, even though he's taken a serious dent in experience.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I will admit my bias and that I would defend him to the end. That being said, I am truly confident Matthew will get it done. First of all, it's not about money as he was raised in money. When he got hurt the 2nd time this season he was SO down, almost to the point of tears even when just talking to me about it. I understand the doubters as they have every reason to be skeptical. Even while not playing this year, he has still been learning & attending EVERY team function, meetings, walk throughs, etc. even though the team made many of those things not mandatory to him. He's there EACH day. For me it's refreshing to see how much the kid cares and that he has already gained the respect of his teammates as their leader.

This is our guy. I believe it, too. I understand the trepidation of many Lions fans out there. We have been burned so many times after believing any number of guys would come in and be the savior (Long, Ware, Peete, Mitchell, Harrington).

To all you naysayers -- keep squawking. Keep calling the kid "Glass Stafford". Keep feeding the fire. I believe we finally have our guy.

Finally.

And welcome to FP, lioneyz. We need more Lions folks 'round these parts.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Stafford scares me. And I'm a Bears fan, so he really scares me if him and Megatron get it going for a full season. Stafford convinced me had heart when he came back with a separated shoulder to get the W last year. At first I thought it was him fragile, but Hill and Stanton have taken a beating as well, which speaks more of OL protection (or that Best cant pick up a blitz) more than anything else.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Okay, as embarrassing as it is, I bought my son a Joey Harrington jersey. When he quickly sucked, my boy didn't understand why he couldn't wear it anymore. Anyway, I went out and sprung for an away, stitched Barry jersey. BOOM! Can NEVER go wrong with that! Matthew isn't married and has no kids but is super cool to my young son and daughter. He gave them kid sized jerseys and sideline hats with #9 embroidered on the side.

For YEARS the Lions actually took steps backwards as the season progressed. To this day, that baffles me and seems psychologically impossible even WITH Millen in the mix. Now, for the 1st time in a looong time, they are actually getting better as the season rolls along. WOW! Also, when you listen, read or watch the nationwide media, the Lions are not a punchline anymore. All the talk is positive referring to the pieces in place, the talented young players we have, etc. The end of this season is leaving me excited for the next as opposed to thinking 'Why do I subject myself to faithfully watching season after season of that crap?' I think the team is in good hands with Mayhew and Schwartz. The team seems to feed off of Coach as opposed to staring right through him as he addresses them. The gun toting, strip club hitting likes of Big Baby are gone. Imagine, we have on the defensive line a stud who you are proud to have representing the franchise. Sure, Vanden Bosch isn't getting any younger but look at the BITE he added to that line!

I see sunshine on the horizon and it feels damn good! Thanks for the 'welcome' here. Anyone who follows the Lions and has balls enough to admit it is good by me!