Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Shawne Merriman signed a 2 year extension...

So Shawne Merriman signed a 2 year extension...

I'm all for charity, but it starts at home. If you're gonna pay a guy a couple million dollars to not play, let it be someone who's been here a while. Throw the money at an old guy who is breaking down after years of service to your own club.

I suppose it's an indirect way of saying that his injuries are too frequent these days, and my suspicion that they're linked to long-term PEDs use (Bob Sanders anyone? - seriously, the guy's body isn't made to handle the muscle he packed on it - unnatural.) may color my feelings somewhat, but please. Guy's got no legs left. Better be at or near veteran minimum with performance incentives all over the deal.

PFT has some info on the new contract: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ke-a-lot-more/
    Last edited by SpartaChris; 01-01-2011 at 08:48 PM.

F!@# Buddy Nix!

A guy who couldn't pass a physical... who has yet to play a down for the team... a guy who is one strike away from a season long suspension... a guy who allegedly assaulted a woman... a guy who was cut from a team that was desperately trying to make the playoffs...

THIS is what he signs?

For all you Panthers fans out there - be thankful you aren't a Bills fan. It says here that Carolina will be in the playoffs again before the Bills.

Blog Entries
    Can't believe a team that needs a change of direction is wasting a spot on Merriman.

Color me mystified. WTF are they smokin' in Orchard Park?
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I am quite pleased with inking Merriman to a two-year extension. First off, the Bills desire a superstar, somebody who the casual fan is familiar with (i.e. overpaying for Terrell Owens) for relevancy. Shawne Merriman is a marquee name, like it or not. The team started selling his jersey before he even put on his authentic! They are desperate for a national star, drafting CJ Spiller as opposed to an OLB or DE. So I understand the thinking at One Bills Drive. Buddy Nix also has a history with Merriman dating back to the Chargers. Nix was the Southeast scout, so while he may not have recommended Merriman to AJ Smith, Nix reportedly was the personnel man who took the names off the draft board. He believed in Merriman's ability, steroid-aided or not.

On to the contract. Again, a winner for the Bills. Sure, they ponied up $2.5M guaranteed (skill, injury, or some combination to be determined). But the overwhelming majority is back-loaded and incentive-laden, both for playing time and performance. I think Buddy Nix is trying to send a signal to the rest of the league that the Bills were able to sign a "name" guy and hopes that others will follow suit. Whether they will remains to be seen. Merriman probably looked at this deal as certainty in an uncertain world, what with a new CBA under negotiation.

If Merriman is unable to stay healthy at St. John Fisher, he'll be released and the signing bonus, if not injury-guaranteed, will be voided. The upside potential is what makes this a solid deal. If Merriman can still be an effective outside backer, the base salaries will kick in but not the performance incentives. If he can turn back to his 05-07 form, sky's the limit.
    "I was a late round pick."
    --Chan Gailey

Quote Originally Posted by Darren83 View Post
    I am quite pleased with inking Merriman to a two-year extension. First off, the Bills desire a superstar, somebody who the casual fan is familiar with (i.e. overpaying for Terrell Owens) for relevancy. Shawne Merriman is a marquee name, like it or not.
    He's as much a superstar or a marquee name as Derek Anderson who was also on the Pro Bowl team the last time Merriman was. If the geniuses at One Bills Drive believe that a guy like this brings fans into the seats, than they are even further out to lunch than I imagined.

Bills fans have proven that they will fill the stadium no matter what.

This is just Buddy Nix's version of scouting... easier to look to the past.

I may be wrong, and Merriman may get himself on a nice off season 'roid cycle, and maybe not get charged with assaulting a 90 pound woman. And then happy times will be back in Orchard park.

Far be it for me to judge as my team is in the Hall of Fame for worst personnel moves of all time but has he even played in the last 2 years besides getting hurt immediately when joining Buffalo?

I'm personally ok with this signing. It gives the team a potential pass rusher with something to prove. Worse can scenario they wasted money on a guy that isn't gonna see the field. The cost to benefit on this is so massively in the bills favor. They didn't give up a pick for him they can still draft whoever they want his signing isn't a massive cap hit so they could still go after any free agent or resign anyone they were going to get regardless. If he plays well great if he doesn't then he's still gotta be better than maybin.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Darren's assessment totally. Low risk, high reward, for the Bills here.
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.