Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browns fire Eric Mangini

Browns fire Eric Mangini

I am watching NFL Network right now and this is the official news report for the hour. Mangini went 10-22 in two seasons with the Browns, and I honestly thought he had the team moving in a positive direction. I guess Holmgren did not feel this way and the talking heads on NFL Network agree that it came as no surprise. I am not completely in tune with the goings-on in Cleveland, but the team had been competitive at times during the season. But in today's NFL, it's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. The late season failures burn too closely for Holmgren to keep him around. Speculation is that John Fox may get the nod.

So do they promote from within or sign someone else?

Browns fans, your thoughts?

P.S. I am now a forum ninja.

gis hw, words.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations, Wordsworth. I was at that Browns-Steelers game yesterday, spent the morning tailgating and watched the game from the pound.

People in Cleveland are kind of nervous. Everyone was basically in agreement that Brian Daboll (the Browns' offensive coordinator) was a no-talent hack and needed to be fired, but aside from that issue, Browns fans here are completely divided about what else to do. Not everyone I spoke with believed Mangini needed to go, and one of my friends even had lingering reservations about McCoy. Most people, though, if you locked them in a confessional and made them answer, I would think they would tell that they want Holmgren to come down from the box and coach the squad.

Other candidates who keep getting mentioned: Jon Gruden, John Fox, Marty Mornhinweg.
    Last edited by mkocs6; 01-03-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    @kocsan

Enter Marty Mornhinweg? Be careful, Browns fans. Marty is the assclown who, as HC of the Lions, after winning the the toss in OT opted to kick the damn ball to his opponent.

Tool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Enter Marty Mornhinweg? Be careful, Browns fans. Marty is the assclown who, as HC of the Lions, after winning the the toss in OT opted to kick the damn ball to his opponent.

Tool.
    I think that was against the Bears. And we won on a field goal. Against the wind.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Blog Entries
    Yeah, hiring Mornhinweg would be a choice that would confuse rather than excite the fan base. If he can't get Gruden (or possibly Fox), I think it's going to be a pretty hard sell for the front office to convince the fans that this person is a better choice than Holmgren himself.

I heard Mike Sherman suggested on NFL Network this morning as well (head coach of Texas A&M, former head coach of the Packers, 57-39 record), who may be someone the fans could get behind as well.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    gis hw, words.
    uhhhh what? lol

I am relieved that Mangini is gone.

Last season was his first with the team, so maybe we can forget about the way he pissed everyone off at first. After all, he was taking over a crappy team...

Which started 1-11, the only win being against the Bills in what may have been the worst game in league history. The win against the fast fading Steelers in week 13 was the highlight, and the team then beat 3 bad teams to finish a very deceptive 5-11.

So this year, the team showed signs of life, but a one point win against the Panthers showed where the team really stands better than wins against the Saints and Pats.

And the way they finished - losing to the godawful Bills before breaking the Bengals 10 win losing streak, followed by two bad losses at home against big rivals meant that he ha to go.

He inherited a bad 4-12 team and is leaving a pretty bad 5-11 team.

As far as I'm concerned, it's time to turn over the coaching staff - Mangini and crew are remnants of a very dark and confusing era for the team and its fans. Holmgren is being paid a fortune to turn this team around, and it simply wasn't happening under Mangini.

Now it feels like the rebuilding program can begin in earnest. Let's just hope Mornhinweg isn't allowed within 50 miles of Berea.

Blog Entries
    Holmgren says he is not going to consider himself for the job 'at the present time.'
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by Polishguy00 View Post
    I think that was against the Bears. And we won on a field goal. Against the wind.
    Yessir. 2002 in Chicago.