Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter King Monday Morning QB Quote...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Where are the Lions picking this year? If it's top 10, you may be able to grab Prince A. (Nebraska) or Patrick Peterson (LSU).

But you stay away from AJ Green, damn it. At least we pick before you.
    The Lions pick at #13, so it's doubtful they can get Peterson or Prince there without trading up. Janoris Jenkins wouldn't be a bad consolation prize though, that's who I have them taking in my mock.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Quote Originally Posted by FessJL0861 View Post
    Really. Suh could be labeled a bust if he can't get that kicking leg straightened out. You should be embarrassed Detroit.

On a much much much much much much more serous note, I said back in week 2 or 3 (GoBig can back me up on this) I thought that the Lions scared me more than any of the other NFC North teams because of; (1) the coach mainly. The Schwartz could get those guys to run through a cement wall for him, (2) that D-Line will be concussion-tastic for years to come, (3) Shaun Hill may be the best backup QB in the NFL, and (4) Calvin. Johnson. Period.
    Pettigrew also often goes without much mention. He had some issues with drops but improved big time! He finished 3rd in the NFL for TE receptions behind only Witten and Cooley. Even Tony Scheffler(TE) came through when needed, finishing 16th in NFL for TE's. I initially was not please by the size of his contract but we all know NFL money is not always real money unless specified with the word guaranteed, and even THAT I don't think that solidifies it! He has helped Pettigrew a lot in his development which is a big plus. Even Schwartz recommending the signing of Vanden Bosh, great move! His talent, attitude and even his looks added a lot of BITE to the defense.

I also agree with your comment FESS regarding the coach. Previously it was like the coach would speak and the players would just stare right through him. Schwartz starts his days with a workout and in his office he often loudly rocks out to the likes of ACDC, Motley Crue, Metallica, etc. which I thought is cool. It took him very little time to gain their respect. The same goes with Matthew and I'm sure many might not believe it since he hasn't put together a full season. What he did though last year vs. the Browns galvanized that kid's place in that huddle as the undisputed leader of that. Dominic Raiola(center), gets defensive as hell and pissed off when people pile on Stafford in the press or even the fans. He sees how hard the kid practices, sees his talent and also how badly it kills him not to play. When he got hurt the 2nd time this year the Lions extended some flexibility Matthew's way. By that I mean that they made some functions, meetings, team travels, not mandatory to Matthew. He would have NONE of that and declined all exemptions. On Tuesdays, generally the league-wide day off in the NFL, Matthew would spend the majority of those days in Allen Park getting treatment. He's never been a loser and at no level had he ever been hurt. Once again, another good 'character' guy. I know that character doesn't score 6 points which of course is why the kid is here. He's getting through this and his role as the leader of the team couldn't be any more solid. That's pretty remarkable and speaks volumes considering how much time he has spent on the shelf. When he gets himself 'right' and plugs back into the offense, it's going to be quite a show.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    The Lions pick at #13, so it's doubtful they can get Peterson or Prince there without trading up. Janoris Jenkins wouldn't be a bad consolation prize though, that's who I have them taking in my mock.
    You may very well be right but I think many of the teams picking prior to the Lions have larger immediate needs. Teams like Washington, Carolina, Arizona and Cincinnati, need line help on one, or in some cases both sides of the ball. Also, we have to keep in mind who else might decide to leave school. It's quite a ways down the road but I think that the Lions will have at least 2 of the 3 CB's to choose from. Peterson will be way gone by #13 as some teams will apply the principle of taking the best ATHLETE available period, no matter what position they play. Much like the Lions thought they were doing when they kept stockpiling their 'Sanford and Son' junkyard pile of wide receivers.

Beware the bandwagon Lions fans. Remember the 2008 season? SI was all over them - Peter King even picked them to win the division.

Steelers must not have read Peter King that year.

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Where are the Lions picking this year? If it's top 10, you may be able to grab Prince A. (Nebraska) or Patrick Peterson (LSU).

But you stay away from AJ Green, damn it. At least we pick before you.
    Lions are picking 13th. Suh is actively lobbying for the team to take Amukamara. I'd love that. Then go after one of the many LBs that are going to be free agents (Lamarr Woodley!).

Same goes for Jahvid Best, he could be a superstar if he stays healthy, but that's a big if. I would bring in a Thomas Jones-type workhorse and limit Best's touches to 15-17/game.
    You could not be more right, Andy. Best is going to at his best when used in a Reggie Bush-type role. We need a 20+ carries-per-game back. Maurice Morris was serviceable, but he cannot stay healthy, either.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by FessJL0861 View Post
    Really. Suh could be labeled a bust if he can't get that kicking leg straightened out. You should be embarrassed Detroit.

On a much much much much much much more serous note, I said back in week 2 or 3 (GoBig can back me up on this) I thought that the Lions scared me more than any of the other NFC North teams because of; (1) the coach mainly. The Schwartz could get those guys to run through a cement wall for him, (2) that D-Line will be concussion-tastic for years to come, (3) Shaun Hill may be the best backup QB in the NFL, and (4) Calvin. Johnson. Period.
    Fully back up this up. Fess, you were way ahead of most us when it came to reading the tea leaves when it came to the Lions.

Only one slight correction: It's Calvin. Freaking. Johnson. Period.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lioneyz View Post
    I know that character doesn't score 6 points which of course is why the kid is here.
    No, character doesn't score 6 points, but it helps that tired 2nd string running back give the last bit of strength in his body on 3rd down to make a block on a blitzing cornerback, who is bearing down on his QB in the 4th quarter. That block from that running back leads to 27 yard completions.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post

Only one slight correction: It's Calvin. Freaking. Johnson. Period.
    Correction noted. Correction seconded. That being said, GO PACK GO!
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Beware the bandwagon Lions fans. Remember the 2008 season? SI was all over them - Peter King even picked them to win the division.

Steelers must not have read Peter King that year.
    That was the most quickly deconstructed bandwagon in the history of bandwagons. When the Falcons' Matt Ryan completed his first NFL pass attempt for a freaking touchdown, that season was doomed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lioneyz View Post
    You may very well be right but I think many of the teams picking prior to the Lions have larger immediate needs. Teams like Washington, Carolina, Arizona and Cincinnati, need line help on one, or in some cases both sides of the ball. Also, we have to keep in mind who else might decide to leave school. It's quite a ways down the road but I think that the Lions will have at least 2 of the 3 CB's to choose from. Peterson will be way gone by #13 as some teams will apply the principle of taking the best ATHLETE available period, no matter what position they play. Much like the Lions thought they were doing when they kept stockpiling their 'Sanford and Son' junkyard pile of wide receivers.
    True, but Denver and Dallas need CBs just as badly as the Lions. Peterson will definitely be gone by 13, Amukamara slipping that far is doubtful. Of course, the Lions could always trade up, but Janoris Jenkins isn't a bad Option C at all. It's not a reach for him there, and he fills a big need.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01